This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Observations: what worked and what didn't work during our last trip

Thanks! Never been before with kids and your tips will be helpful on our upcoming trip.

Comment

Very nice, effective grouping of tips and info there. Thanks!
      "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by smartlabelprint View Post
        Thanks! Never been before with kids and your tips will be helpful on our upcoming trip.
        If we were to go sans children, it would DEFINITELY change our park experience. I hope the wife and I can do an adult Disney trip one day, but I'm not holding my breath.... it would go something like hitting C33, SH55, Napa, Sam's, BB, CCR+B, and a LOT of E-tickets probably as single rider.
        Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
        World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
        My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
        My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
        My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
        My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
        My October, 2011 Trip Report
        My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Blisters. I noticed that on your great trip report but didn't want to reference the incident.

So my question to you and anyone else, are blisters more common with children now in this decade in comparison to the 60's and 70s. On my December trip I had two college age adults traveling with me who developed blisters. Both of them were sedentary men. Does the sedentary life style of tv, video games and computers increase blisters because folks are not spending 4-8 hours every day in their shoes?

As an old man, I always pack Pepito bismo, anti acid tablets, Vaseline jelly, sunglasses and a clock. But I never think to bring foot care because I wear the same shoes everyday nor have I ever suggested foot care to the families that I am helping plan their trip to Disneyland. Foot care is now on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by laferney Road kid View Post
            Blisters. I noticed that on your great trip report but didn't want to reference the incident.

So my question to you and anyone else, are blisters more common with children now in this decade in comparison to the 60's and 70s. On my December trip I had two college age adults traveling with me who developed blisters. Both of them were sedentary men. Does the sedentary life style of tv, video games and computers increase blisters because folks are not spending 4-8 hours every day in their shoes?

As an old man, I always pack Pepito bismo, anti acid tablets, Vaseline jelly, sunglasses and a clock. But I never think to bring foot care because I wear the same shoes everyday nor have I ever suggested foot care to the families that I am helping plan their trip to Disneyland. Foot care is now on that list.
            I certainly think that coming from a sedentary lifestyle might make a difference, but IMHO it's often all about the type of shoes. If you do any amount of people watching at the parks - or you're like me, and you're introverted and tend to look at the ground a lot, especially in queues - you notice right away that a a lot of park guests wear shoes that seem to lack support or cushioning. There are always lots of sandals, flip-flops, Chucks, Crocs...shoes that are cute and comfortable, but not necessarily designed to facilitate an entire day of intense walking and standing. Some kids come in wearing dress shoes with their costumes. If you look at the costume shoes Disney sells, you can see right away that they're not meant for intensive walking. It's a wonder those kids have feet left at all at the end of the day.

The one time I ended up with absolutely horrific blisters at Disneyland, I'd decided to wear Chucks. I'm super active, I usually walk 2 - 4 miles every day and I have almost always had jobs that have required me to spend a lot of time running around. My feet are pretty tough, and they still looked like chopped liver at the end of the day. Since then I've always worn good walking shoes or running sneakers. I have never had issues with blisters again.

And socks! So many people seem to eschew socks these days. If you're not wearing socks and you're walking all day, the insides of your shoes are going to be rubbing like sandpaper against your feet by the end of the visit...ergo, you're going to end up with more blisters.

So if I were advising someone about a trip to the park, the one thing I'd tell them would be to wear comfortable walking shoes and good socks.

And I think that even if one is physically active, the walking and standing one does at Disneyland might still be more than normal, and might affect one's feet adversely.
            Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
              Very nice, effective grouping of tips and info there. Thanks!
              Agreed. It's a very helpful post.

An important thing to do is, wear comfortable shoes. I always where sneakers.
              Be Cool Stay in School!
              Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

One of the other things with feet at theme parks is that you often end up with wet shoes and socks from the water attractions which increases the chances of blistering. My dad doesn't do water rides anymore because he can't take the wet feet. I also agree with the need for good shoes. I wore some old sneakers one time which I hadn't worn in a while, the soles were much more worn out than I realized, and it made for an lousy day.
                The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                -Walt Disney

Comment

About footwear:
                  I'm a teenage girl and like to be fashionable (sounds stupid but works for me) so I tend to avoid sneakers or tennis shoes. I've ALWAYS worn flip flops or some sort of sandals and I don't ever get blisters (I don't wear plastic flip flops). I get used to them and they're not terribly uncomfortable. And the best part? They match with everything and the tan line is limited to my foot lol. I also have no fear of going on water rides because it doesn't matter if my feet get wet. Also, when I tried to wear shoes, my feet started itching like crazy and I've never worn them since. At the end of the day, even my mom and other family members have complaints about their feet despite wearing proper footwear. It's kind of inevitable.

Comment

I had to buy new shoes with added sole supporters since I brought cheap shoes that I bought at Wal-mart. My old shoes fell apart and had divets all over inside and were causing blisters and felt like I was walking on broken glass. My new shoes were a major improvement. BRING GOOD SHOES!!!

Comment

My kids are anything but sedentary (did you see how they weren't ever physically touching the ground in the pics? Its like they float along). It was more so that her feat were FILTHY, and the dirt at the lip of her crocs (I think she was wearing crocs, or some other soft rubber shoe of the sort) irritated her skin. I cleaned her feat off and wiped out her shoes, and after I gave her feet a chance to recover, she was scooting around again without trouble. Trying to keep those kids clean is a chore. I'd just say moreso a combination of the shoe material and RUNNING everywhere with filthy feet did her in that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post

And socks! So many people seem to eschew socks these days. If you're not wearing socks and you're walking all day, the insides of your shoes are going to be rubbing like sandpaper against your feet by the end of the visit...ergo, you're going to end up with more blisters.

So if I were advising someone about a trip to the park, the one thing I'd tell them would be to wear comfortable walking shoes and good socks.
                        I couldn't agree with this more.

Comment

YES on the good shoes. I see so many at the parks wearing cheap flip-flops that provide NO support and me wonder how these people can bear to walk by the end of the day. The only time I ever wear flip-flops is a quick run to the mailbox or when I go get a pedicure.

I always wear good sneakers with cushy socks. My Skechers have yet to fail me (and my worn out Adidas before that). Only time I get blisters now is sometimes when breaking in a new pair of shoes (usually cute dressy flats).

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                            What didn’t work:
                            • Letting the kids eat Cheez-its in the vehicle.
                            Adding this to my parenting tips file...

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
                            KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X