• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Disneyland Update: Refurbishments, 60th Aniversary Talk, and More

From today's Micechat Update:
    Disneyland 60th Anniversary

Highlights:
    - Refurbishment talk throughout the resort.
    - Big thunder/Splash Mtn.
    - Soarin'/TLM Updates
    - Fantasyland Dark Ride Upgrades A Go
    - 60th Anniversary Nighttime Parade Discussion
    - Parking Mania
    Met Anna and Elsa over 1100 times and not afraid to admit it. Just let it go

My YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasTheImagineer

Comment

Re: Disneyland Update: Refurbishments, 60th Aniversary Talk, and More

I'm still pulling for the Electrical Parade. I agree with jrh1985 in the sense of borrowing a brand new parade from another park when the guests there barely had a chance to get used to it. Or for Disney to work out the kinks of a new show. It just seems tacky. For the 60th, I would assume just have a new fireworks show or something.

The updates for Little Mermaid sound tasteful if they're true. I like the ride, but it definitely needs some work. I've been saying since the beginning that they cheated Ursula by making her defeat so small.
      As for Soarin', I don't really care about this ride. I don't like it as it is so if the HD refurb is delayed oh well.

The updates on Thunder sound pretty awesome. Hopefully I make it back this fall so I can see for myself. It's about time it reopened.
      Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

"Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

A quick technical side-note: A 4k digital projection of Soarin' is actually a downgrade in image quality from the current 70mm film showing. However, digital comes with no image degradation and probable lower maintenance costs, and the thinking is you're not liable to see the difference anyway. So yes, maybe the term HD is correct, but it's actually Soarin' now-in-slightly-less-HD.

I like the dark ride upgrades, but it still miffs me why they're willing to spend money on Mermaid so close after its opening, and yet Pooh, which is by several degrees of magnitude the worst ride in both parks, continues to run unchanged and without any plans to change it since its opening.

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
            If your job is customer service, then you do whatever you need to do to make the customer’s enjoyment more special. If that means you need to park a little farther away, then that is what you do.
            Even if it adds to your workday for no extra pay?

Comment

I'll believe it all when I see it all. These updates are always changing.
              Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

The update made it sound like that during the season when the parade is on loan to Anaheim there is rarely a chance for the parade to run because of the rain anyway, and it would only be part of the year during that time.

The updates to Thunder sound awesome, and the updates to LM sound passable. Any improvement in that ride is good. It still doesn't fix the biggest overall flaw--that you don't feel like you're underwater--but one of the biggest reasons you don't is the Under the Sea scene, which completely takes you out of the ride. This solution--where you don't really notice the lighting rig above--may be the only way they can salvage it with the way the room is designed.

Adding a death scene should be interesting. Since they already have an impressive animatronic in the earlier Ursula scene, how do you create another scene with her and make it part of the climax of the ride without adding a second Ursula? In other words, once you see that animatronic, if there isn't another one, what could the scene be that isn't a let down? Are they just hoping that since it is an improvement from a tiny cut out that everyone will be happy?

The sub weren't mentioned at all, but they were mentioned tangentially. What was mentioned before was mentioned again here: that Disney wants characters from Episode VII to be included in any new Disney attractions or rides.

While people think Mice Age just made up the sub closure and are now making excuses, I think a real storyline has been established here. 1) The subs are on the chopping block, but if we need them we keep them--for now. 2) If we greenlight Star Wars, the subs close and the money spent on the refurbishment is dwarfed by the savings of non-operation. 3) If we decide to wait on Star Wars, we finish the refurbishment and reopen the subs. 4) When we greenlight Star Wars, the subs go away, if the plan laid out prior remains the same.

I'm guessing that when we saw the new signs and walls go up it's because Iger wouldn't budge on the idea that any Star Wars retheme of Tomorrowland must include tie ins to the new film, so it was determined that the subs would reopen again, for now at least.

Originally posted by ssaamm View Post
                Every job has a commute. If the commute changes while you're employed there, it's up to you whether you continue working there. In this case, on certain days, the commute of a CM is longer than other days. That's just the way it goes.

Comment

I'm interested to see what they do with Mermaid. The "climax" is weak, so hopefully they can make it a tad stronger with Ursula's demise.

I'm also interested about the Alice refurb. Is it just for the overhead tracks, or was the intention changed recently to accommodate the track refurbs and improved technical aspects?
                  sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
                    Yeah, right?
                    I'm with you on this.

Comment

Originally posted by ssaamm View Post
                      As a small business attorney, I usually end up going to my clients’ place of business rather than having them come to me. My billable hours still begin when I enter the client’s place of business regardless of how far the client is located from my house. That’s how things work in the grown-up world. Sometimes you have to travel farther to work to properly perform your job. It just means getting up earlier.
                      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

I hope the animatronics and figures on the dark rides do get updated. Alice herself in Alice in Wonderland needs A LOT of help. If they can make the changes subtle but effective, and not over the top so as to lose the nostalgic feel of the rides, that would be idea.

Comment

The commute thing is horrible. That was the main reason I quit when I did, and that was just because of the Katella lot. I can't imagine how far in advance those poor CM's will have to arrive to work now just to be considered "on time." I know for my job, because our office was located behind Splash Mountain, I had to be pulling into the parking lot 90 minutes early in order to allow enough time to take the shuttle from the lot to Harbor House (the CM entrance), go get my costume for the day, go to the lockers and change, and then walk from the lockers behind Space Mountain to the office behind Splash Mountain, and all of that was unpaid. Thankfully the CM's get to take their costumes home now so it cuts out part of that, but still I imagine they have to be there probably an hour early now in order to officially be "on time."
                          Disneyland Cast Member
                          Outdoor Vending
                          1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
                            Yeah, right?
                            I'm with you on this.
                            It's getting irritating, honestly. I think I'm just going to stop reading them haha. We need Al back.
                            Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
                              It's a business where (Even though a budget is typically set at the beginning of the fiscal year) income fluctuates and is hard to predict, so I'm sure there's a constant juggling of schedules and re-prioritizing of referbs. I didn't see anything new in the update aside from previously mentioned referbs ideas finally having some dates set.

It looks like TDA is starting to pin down their schedules for the 60th. I'm now leaning toward Star Wars being a ways off and the subs reopening toward the end of the year for the 60th. I'm pretty excited for the FL dark ride referbs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X