Disney Characters Getting OUT of Character?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malina
    MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

Re: Disney Characters Getting OUT of Character?

It's always really nice when the characters go the extra mile- they have such hard jobs and have to put up with so much BS from bad guests that I tip my hat to them just for being out there every day. When they go above and beyond it's really fun, though.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

• AlohaStitch
      "Always On The Move..."
      • Jun 2005

Had an interesting experience one of the last times I was at Disneyland. Belle came out of the handicapped stall in the bathroom by Space Mountain exit. She was in her gold dress, came out, washed her hands, and went out the door. In full character and chatting up the guests the entire time. At first my sister and myself thought it was someone who snuck the elaborate costume into the park and changed in the stall, but nope, we saw the same Belle a few minutes later in a meet and greet with a handler. While she never broke character it was shocking to see her in a guest bathroom. Talking to a friend who is a lead later, she confirmed that this was WAY out of allowed behavior and could result in termination for the "friend."
      Originally posted by migo
      I poop with joy!
      Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Donald's #1 Fan
        • May 2005

I don't know how much in or out of character this is, but....

A couple of years ago I found Donald at DCA. My son told "him" that he was my favorite and I really loved him. So Donald started playing with my hair. Then "he" pointed towards a bench, so I sat down, and "he" sat on top of my legs, hugged me and messed around with my hair, posed for pics, etc. I thought that was WAY out of character and pretty fun.

So, my wife later said "how did you feel about a guy sitting on your legs?" So I said "honey, did you know almost every character has a girl inside?"

Heh...

Comment

• Witches of Morva
          Minion
          • Jan 2005

ORDDU: Here's another 'out of character' story my sisters and I just remembered.

ORWEN: This one involves Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora. It happened back in 1987.

ORDDU: We were seated--at the time--at the former Carnation Plaza near the castle. (These days it's been converted to the Princess Fantasy Faire)

ORWEN: Anyway, we noticed Princess Aurora with Prince Phillip off in the distance near the exit to what used to be the Tinkerbell Toy Shop. They were on the walkway leading to the Fantasyland. Nobody else was around to meet or greet with them. So it was just the two of them standing there talking to each other.

ORDDU: At one point--believe it not--they started kissing each other--and it didn't seem as though they were doing so as Phillip and Aurora. We continued to watch and were amazed at how passionate they'd become. Since they were off in a semi-isolated area, we assumed they thought no one would 'catch' them.

ORWEN: Eventually some guests came along to pose with them for pictures and the royal couple stopped kissing and simply slipped back into their normal routine.

ORDDU: Since we had friends who worked in the entertainment department at the time, we asked around and mentioned what we had observed. The cast member friend reacted knowingly and said, "Oh, I know who you're talking about. That was !@$%T^ and @#$%^. They met on the job in the character department and started dating each other right away. They could never keep their hands off each other. As a matter of fact, they're engaged to be married!"

ORWEN: Well, that explained everything. We checked back a year later with our friend and found out that the two cast members--better known as Phillip and Aurora--actually did get married after all. But what a way to spend your time on the job with each other!! Making out in public with everybody assuming you might actually BE in character as a romantic couple!!!

Comment

• Capt Hook
            Banned User
            • Jun 2006

I just remember another one and that would have to be my friend Snow White who is no longer there. I had always seen her at Ariel's Grotto and one day I didn't see her there so I figure she had the day off so I when back about 3 months later and still my friend wasn't there I was getting a little upset cause not seeing her there. So on that same day I was at the old Princess Fantasy Faire and was in line to see Cinderella. There on my right was a Snow White not really thinking about it when Snow White cross my path I said hi to her cause she was going on her break but when she started to pass me and wave at me it happen to be my friend. She came over to me and was starting to talk to me. I was telling her that I've been to Ariel's alot and hadn't seen her for a wild she pull me over and told me with out any of the kids could hear us talk that it was going to be her last day. So she when out of character to tell me that she wasn't going to be at Disneyland that day. I was really sad on hearing that as well. She did let me give her a kiss on the cheak as a goodbye for her. I still to this day still miss her and thank about her all the time. She was my favorite Snow White out of all the Snow White's that I have met and that is another reason why I really haven't seen Snow White that much anymore cause seeing all these other Snow White's around just doesn't have the same filling as she did.

Comment

• GwenRowan
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2013

That must be a tough but rewarding job. We sat in the shade one day watching a character who is a Raccoon completely delight child after child and all the adults in line, all with body language and gestures, it was a stellar performance.... Poor Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum had more than a few kids look at them and begin to bawl, they handled it all with good humor. Couple weeks ago, walking past Storybook, Captain Hook stopped to visit with the line, the delight on people faces... just great. Walking down Main Street a couple years ago, saw a small girl have a melt down (joy) seeing Minnie... MINNIE! MOM IT'S MINNNI (throwing hands to face) what a video (her dad got it all)....

On the other hand, Disney had Gepetto in the traveling show (parade) CASP shaking his booty,swinging his hips dancing with guests...in a crowd with women in show costumes.... it was kind of weird.... it seemed totally out of character and "out of time", like putting a disco ball and a boom box into his work shop...
              Last edited by GwenRowan; 03-09-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Malina
                MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

I do think that must be hard for the characters to deal with - from what I've seen, it seems as though a lot of little kids are genuinely frightened of some of the characters and honestly DON'T want to meet them.

Comment

• Haunted Mansion DJ
                  Master Gracey's Music Man
                  • Feb 2012

I don't know if these count as breaking character but the first occasion was when I was eating at character breakfast (Plaza Inn) when Captain Hook showed up to our table. Now before I continue on this I'd like to point out that myself and my friend are also anime fans who tend to wear an item from our favorite series when out and about. I was wearing a necklace with pendant from a series called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan while my friend was wearing a full metal alchemist pendant on her neck.
                  Captain Hook took one look at each of us before pointing to my pendant giving a thumbs up then looking at her pendant and gave a thumbs down. This immediately had both of us cracking up at this gesture from the captain and it made quite the memory lol

The second involved a member of the Pirate Band in New Orleans square. One individual whom I and possibly some others call "Hulk Hogan" pirate I managed to get to do the entire Hulk Hogan posing routine in front of Pieces of Eight. It felt truly awesome to know that the spirit of Hulkamania runs wild in New Orleans Square! lol
                  Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,

Comment

• asianway
                    MiceChatter
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by Big Phil View Post
                    I was in Epcot in 2009 and I was talking to a photographer who takes pictures of the characters. I asked him how many "Mickeys" there are in Disney World altogether. He looked around for a second and said: "Oh, there's only ONE Mickey, you know."

I knew he didn't want to let out the "secret" that there is a person in the costume but when he was sure there weren't any kids within earshot he sort of quietly said to me that they find a way to make sure that Mickey can never be seen in two places at once in WDW. In other words if you are at Epcot and see him and hop right over to Magic Kingdom he shouldn't be there greeting you.
                    Maybe back in the 80s, but WDW doesnt care anymore. When the Move it shake it street party is out, you can see two Frozones and Mr Incredibles at once if you are standing near the AstroOrbiter as they are now in the Tomorrowland Dance Party. Last year, DL had 5 Mickeys meeting at once Toontown, Main St, NOS Bayou Bash, Jamboree, and BVS but at least you cant see more than one at a time.

Comment

• DisCollector
                      MiceChatter
                      • Nov 2012

I've never personally have experienced this, but I have seen videos and gifs on Tumblr of characters knowing and talking about technology (cameras, phones, ect.) and other modern advances. I was quite puzzled as to why that would be allowed since I would think that would be OOC, but is it considered normal and happen often?

Comment

• tahoebob54
                        Tom Chaney R.I. P.
                        • Oct 2005

A few years ago my wife and I (no kids) were eating lunch at Ariel's Grotto where all the princesses come around to your table. I did get scolded by of the princesses for eating a salmon sandwich in front of Ariel. she told me "that eating fish in front of Ariel is just not right."

When we were leaving Ariel's Grotto I stooped to talk to the Royal Page, after a moment I asked him if his title was the royal page, his reply was yes sir it is.

I then asked him if a better title would be the ROYAL fu@@#** BOUNCER. HE TURNED AROUND FOR A MOMENT THEN LOOKED AT AND SAID. "why yes sir it would be the truth" he had a hard time not laughing, he then said in a very soft voice, this is the first time I have ever heard that one. I then thanked him and said have a very nice day.
                        THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Comment

• Capt Hook
                          Banned User
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DisCollector View Post
                          I've never personally have experienced this, but I have seen videos and gifs on Tumblr of characters knowing and talking about technology (cameras, phones, ect.) and other modern advances. I was quite puzzled as to why that would be allowed since I would think that would be OOC, but is it considered normal and happen often?
                          Yeah it's normal I had that happen to me before. Once with Aurora and the other with Suzy the Mouse from Cinderella. The CM didn't know how to work a ipad that this person had to take photos so Aurora step out from her spot to show the CM where to click the button at to take pictures. And with me I handed my cel phone to a CM and he didn't know how to work it so Suzy came over and show him how to work my phone. So yeah characters do know how to work a camera.

Comment

• ssaamm
                            Banned User
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by asianway View Post
                            Maybe back in the 80s, but WDW doesnt care anymore. When the Move it shake it street party is out, you can see two Frozones and Mr Incredibles at once if you are standing near the AstroOrbiter as they are now in the Tomorrowland Dance Party. Last year, DL had 5 Mickeys meeting at once Toontown, Main St, NOS Bayou Bash, Jamboree, and BVS but at least you cant see more than one at a time.
                            Would have been 8 since 4 Mickeys meet in Toontown.

Comment

• JanitorofSHIELD
                              MiceChatter
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by DisCollector View Post
                              I've seen videos of them know what cameras are, and I suppose that would make sense, since they meet so many guests a day, so it's natural that one would have shown them what it was. But in these videos, they don't appear to know what YouTube is.

Comment

• outrageous
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Mar 2014

I am fairly sure that you can see Mickey in the Soundsational Parade, and at the same time, he'd be doing Meet n Greet in his own house in Toontown. I haven't personally confirmed this, but logically speaking, pretty sure. (Disneyland, CA.)

Comment

• Jayce
                                  Vidia's Minion
                                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by AlohaStitch View Post
                                  Had an interesting experience one of the last times I was at Disneyland. Belle came out of the handicapped stall in the bathroom by Space Mountain exit. She was in her gold dress, came out, washed her hands, and went out the door. In full character and chatting up the guests the entire time. At first my sister and myself thought it was someone who snuck the elaborate costume into the park and changed in the stall, but nope, we saw the same Belle a few minutes later in a meet and greet with a handler. While she never broke character it was shocking to see her in a guest bathroom. Talking to a friend who is a lead later, she confirmed that this was WAY out of allowed behavior and could result in termination for the "friend."

Hopefully not too recent since the powers that be read this site...

Comment

• TFN5459
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by JanitorofSHIELD View Post
                                    I've seen videos of them know what cameras are, and I suppose that would make sense, since they meet so many guests a day, so it's natural that one would have shown them what it was. But in these videos, they don't appear to know what YouTube is.
                                    I think it depends on the CM's interpretation of the character. I've had some that are very appropriate for the time of the story that they are in while others will go out and openly mention like hashtags, social media, etc. to you and with the "social media inspired" merchandise that Disney has been releasing recently, I honestly would not be surprised if more CM's started catching on to it,
                                    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                                    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

• TFN5459
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2014

Also, some character CM's are very up to date on what is going on in the Disney fan community as I met Ariel once wearing a D23 Convention lanyard and we had a pretty good chat about the convention and what was going on at this years convention.
                                      "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                                      "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

• Malina
                                        MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

I suppose the knowledge of technology depends on the character and how they are directed to handle it? I can't remember which thread it's in, but I remember someone talking to Captain America at the M&G, and saying that Captain was totally confused when the conversation was about texting and the Internet. Which makes sense since he's from the 40s and all.

Comment

• CassiefRN
                                          BadWristPhotography
                                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                                          I suppose the knowledge of technology depends on the character and how they are directed to handle it? I can't remember which thread it's in, but I remember someone talking to Captain America at the M&G, and saying that Captain was totally confused when the conversation was about texting and the Internet. Which makes sense since he's from the 40s and all.
                                          You'd think he'd be up to date now that he's in current times again...
                                          Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X