Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Civillians" wearing costumes into the park?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] "Civillians" wearing costumes into the park?

Hello, friends! I'm new here and this is my very first post! (yes, yes, please hold your applause)

I have a question that's always kind of nagged at me, and I wonder if anyone could weigh in. I've heard numerous times and from numerous sources that anything that looks like a "costume" is restricted on Disney property, except for children of course. A few times recently I've been in the parks and saw an adult in a full-on costume. Once I saw a pirate, and another time there was a Jane from Tarzan (that was at Dapper Day, so not sure if the rules were a little more lenient? It was DEFINITELY a costume, not a regular dress). Also, on the Saturday before Halloween 2012 my friends and I entered the park dressed as the Avengers. My husband had a glowing LED arc reactor as Tony Stark, and my other friends were in head to toe leather as Hawkeye and Black Widow. I was constantly looking over my shoulder-pad (I was Thor, with a glorious long red cape) to see if someone was going to tell us to leave or change. There wasn't a MHP that night, and it wasn't actual Halloween-proper. But nobody said anything! In fact, most cast members said hey we love your costumes!

Anyone know how strict the policy is? Personally I think it would ruin the magic a little to see, say, a cheesy Cinderella knockoff walking around the park going on attractions and eating a turkey leg. Did we just get away with our Avengers cause it was so close to Halloween? We didn't want to cause trouble or ruin the magic, we just couldn't make it to a MHP event!

Re: "Civillians" wearing costumes into the park?

Originally posted by AuroraBoredealis View Post
    Hello, friends! I'm new here and this is my very first post! (yes, yes, please hold your applause)

I have a question that's always kind of nagged at me, and I wonder if anyone could weigh in. I've heard numerous times and from numerous sources that anything that looks like a "costume" is restricted on Disney property, except for children of course. A few times recently I've been in the parks and saw an adult in a full-on costume. Once I saw a pirate, and another time there was a Jane from Tarzan (that was at Dapper Day, so not sure if the rules were a little more lenient? It was DEFINITELY a costume, not a regular dress). Also, on the Saturday before Halloween 2012 my friends and I entered the park dressed as the Avengers. My husband had a glowing LED arc reactor as Tony Stark, and my other friends were in head to toe leather as Hawkeye and Black Widow. I was constantly looking over my shoulder-pad (I was Thor, with a glorious long red cape) to see if someone was going to tell us to leave or change. There wasn't a MHP that night, and it wasn't actual Halloween-proper. But nobody said anything! In fact, most cast members said hey we love your costumes!

Anyone know how strict the policy is? Personally I think it would ruin the magic a little to see, say, a cheesy Cinderella knockoff walking around the park going on attractions and eating a turkey leg. Did we just get away with our Avengers cause it was so close to Halloween? We didn't want to cause trouble or ruin the magic, we just couldn't make it to a MHP event!

That's a bad visual! LOL

Comment

Hmmm, I think the main 'no costume' thing is so that adults don't come dressed up as Disney characters and are mistaken by guests as CMs. So no Belles, Cinderellas, Jack Sparrows, etc., although you may see people dressed to hint at characters (see 'Disney Bounding). So, pirate, yes, full on Jack Sparrow, no. I 'think' on Dapper Day things may be a bit relaxed, but I still think they might stop someone who too closely resembled one of the characters Disney has out and about.

I will say that I saw many more people this Dapper Day dressed in what I would consider costumes rather than 'dressed up' as in wearing more formal or dressier outfits of an earlier era. Everything from full-on Steampunk to corset & bustle dresses a la 1890s to modern 'prom wear' and everything in between. Last year seemed to be mostly outfits from the 20s-early 60s.

As it stands they don't have CMs dressed up as the Avengers out and about at DL, so you may have been given a 'bye' by the CMs at the gate.

BTW, welcome to Mice Chat!
      Last edited by Stormy; 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM.
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

When I was there on Sunday for the Dapper Days there where 6 young Adults I would say in there 20's dress up as the characters of Frozen. 2 of the girls I saw was dress as Cornantion Elsa and Elsa in her blue dress. Another was Anna in her Winter dress and the guy was dress as Hans. The other 2 of the 6 I saw where dress up as Anna in winter and Kristoff and these 6 where not dress up as Dapper Dan verison of Frozen. So I really don't know what the rules are anymore. I had always though there was.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
          As it stands they don't have CMs dressed up as the Avengers out and about at DL, so you may have been given a 'bye' by the CMs at the gate.

BTW, welcome to Mice Chat!
          Yay thank you! And yeah, back in October 2012 there weren't any Avengers characters in the park. Not sure we could get away with it now. Though I'm a 5'3" girl so I doubt I would have gotten mistaken for REAL Thor

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
            Hmmm, I think the main 'no costume' thing is so that adults don't come dressed up as Disney characters and are mistaken by guests as CMs.

Right, and as soon as people want pictures with you or a crowd forms around you. That is when CMs will notice a problem.
            Be Cool Stay in School!
            Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

I was wondering about this myself... when I was there on one of the days I saw a group of girls dressed as Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather (mind you they were in their 20s and very thin but it was obvious who they were dressed as) and I saw them multiple times throughout the day, I was shocked they were allowed to wear it inside the gate. I also saw 2 girls dressed as Ariel and Eric (kiss the girl outfits) and the girl dressed as Ariel was CLEARLY wearing a wig so I was also surprised this was allowed.
              Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
              July 13th-18th
              November 19th-25th

Comment

I believe on certain days there is definitely a more lenience and freedom in letting guests come in special attire. Disney Bounding is becoming more popular for Dapper Day. Some people come as "dapperized" characters or characters that are already from the dapper time period. That may explain the spotting Jane from Tarzan.

Every year we take on different dapperized characters or a movie theme for Dapper Day. Some outfits we create may look much like costumes (still in dapper fashion), but we have gotten nothing but praise and support from the CMs with no problems...

Dapper Villains:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01965.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	7355151

Dapper Frozen:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	group shot 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	7355152

More can be seen in my tumblr link below...

So I guess as far as Dapper Day goes it's something Disney has come to support and let guests show their creativity.
                Last edited by DreamsofColor; 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM. Reason: correcting grammar mistake :)
                "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

I love "disney bounding" well, I love seeing other people do it, and I think the above for dapper days would still fall into this category as they are not exact replicas but inspired by the character. On a regular day, maybe the above Anna would be turned away since it's REALLY GOOD, but the others it don't think would be any problem. As for what the "official" policy says, it could be hit or miss...is it a costume or not? Lots of room for interpretation...
                  Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

I think if it's linked to an event than it's allowed, especially during Halloween. We all went as Jedi for the Halloween party and then we're going to do it again for May the 4th.

Comment

As a constant Disneyland visiter, I Disney bound a bit, like I wear my red pants and a black shirt and disney bound as Mickey, where it is absolutely obvious i'm not Mickey but dressed like him. Some times people get my outfits, and sometimes they don't which is fine, i'm not dressing up to be the character. What always surprises me is one days when i don't disney bound i will a peter pan hat from an old halloween costume I had that is similar to the one that used to be sold in the parks and people will ask me if they could have their picture with me. They will think I'm peter pan even though i'm a tall guy wearing purple pants and a bright blue top, just because I have the iconic hat on people assume i'm him. I've been wearing this hat to Disney parks since I was a kid and have never been stopped or questioned before, but recently more people have confused me and the character. I haven't worn the hat to disneyland this year because I don't want to confuse more people, but I would like to point out while Disney Bounding is fun and a great way to visit the parks, stray away from the more iconic looks of the character. I Know i'm not the only one with this similar situation, my friend died her hair red and was called ariel so much in the parks that she died it blond so people wouldn't confuse her so often, and like me she wasn't even resembling the character.
                      Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraBoredealis View Post
                        Welcome AuroraBoredealis!
                        :clap::clap::clap::clap::ap:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...haracters.html

Comment

We have a poster that I haven't seen in about a year that always Disney bounds with a friend.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!
                          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

I always see a guy wdressed as Jack Sparrow, maybe it's multiple people? They have the Jack wig on (which is sold in the parks) and eye makeup/goatee. But the rest of they clothes are normal clothes, so it's like seeing Jack Sparrow in modern clothing, always kind of funny. Anyone else seen this guy or guys?
                            Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

Comment

I've always had the impression that if it's Dapper Day, or the Halloween event, you're allowed to wear costumes no matter what age.

As for anything else in between I have no knowledge about that, however if you went into Disney in costume (no matter what degree) when it was around Halloween time, it doesn't surprise me that you got in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X