Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

    When it comes to Disneyland's shows like Mickey and the Magical Map, among other shows, are the actor's playing the characters, are they lip singing or actually singing? I can't tell hahaha.

  • #2
    Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

    For stage shows, they are actually singing. In things like Fantasmic, it's all prerecorded and the actors are lip synching.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

      Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
      For stage shows, they are actually singing. In things like Fantasmic, it's all prerecorded and the actors are lip synching.
      Yep. Characters in that wonderful show like Mickey himself and King Louie have to be done that way so that their animatronic heads can be programmed to match the vocals that were recorded.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

        Originally posted by film975 View Post
        Yep. Characters in that wonderful show like Mickey himself and King Louie have to be done that way so that their animatronic heads can be programmed to match the vocals that were recorded.
        Not always. Disney Dance Crew and Minnie's Fly Girls were live performances by the performer.


        Generally, the smaller shows are all live vocals. Larger shows like Aladdin may use track for the chorus, but the leads will be live.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

          Funny. I was just thinking this same question while I was watching Mickey and the Magical Map on Sunday. I figured it would be near impossible for performers to get the lip syncing perfect every show every day, so if they were lip syncing, we'd know about it already. The audience gets too close to the performers for them to successfully pull it off all the time.
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

          No matter where you go, there you are.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

            In Mickey and the Magical Map, all of the dancers are lip synching, but the two lead mapmakers as well as the princesses (Pocahontas, Mulan, Rapunzel, Tiana) and Flynn are singing live.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

              I always wondered this and then I watched Mickey and the Magical Map a couple weeks back and one of the main female singers messed up the words, quickly caught herself and continued the song. After that I couldn't help thinking, "Dang, they're actually singing! They are all so good!"
              Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                It is very interesting all the different performance techniques that are utilized in this show to make it all work.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                  Just find 2 youtube videos of the same show filmed on different days and play them side by side. It should be obvious right away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                    I've been wondering something since my last trip, and this seems like the perfect thread to ask.

                    In Soundsational, I know that everything is pre recorded and there is much lip synching going on as with any parade. However, in the Princess and the Frog unit, Tiana's audio has a "muffled" quality to it that would indicate that she has a live microphone. I couldn't tell if she was actually singing or not. So does she really sing live or do they just make the quality of her audio different in order to create the illusion that she is really singing?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                      A few have used it correctly in their replies, but it's "lip-syncing", not "lip-singing".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                        Originally posted by Diznygrl View Post
                        I've been wondering something since my last trip, and this seems like the perfect thread to ask.

                        In Soundsational, I know that everything is pre recorded and there is much lip synching going on as with any parade. However, in the Princess and the Frog unit, Tiana's audio has a "muffled" quality to it that would indicate that she has a live microphone. I couldn't tell if she was actually singing or not. So does she really sing live or do they just make the quality of her audio different in order to create the illusion that she is really singing?
                        Tiana lip syncs in Soundsational. I don't think that it's intentional that it sounds muffled, maybe just something going wrong on the day?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                          Originally posted by ssaamm View Post
                          Tiana lip syncs in Soundsational. I don't think that it's intentional that it sounds muffled, maybe just something going wrong on the day?

                          I dunno, maybe. I watched it on two separate days and it was the same both times. Just doesn't sound as clear as the rest of the parade audio.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                            Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                            Funny. I was just thinking this same question while I was watching Mickey and the Magical Map on Sunday. I figured it would be near impossible for performers to get the lip syncing perfect every show every day, so if they were lip syncing, we'd know about it already. The audience gets too close to the performers for them to successfully pull it off all the time.
                            Whew! Thank you. I feel better. Was bugging the crap out of me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Lip Singing or Actual Singing?

                              Originally posted by Autopia View Post
                              Not always. Disney Dance Crew and Minnie's Fly Girls were live performances by the performer.
                              Not necessary true. When the secondary actors are out in the audience they are live singing. Just sit down on the ground floor seats for Aladdin and listen to the actors as they move around the chairs. In M&MM the dance actors do not have microphones on them. When the actors are singing solo they are live in M&MM. I'm unsure in Aladdin when the actors are the main stage if they are singing or lipping it.
                              Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
                              http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X