Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maleficent ride - a Disney Villain first?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Maleficent ride - a Disney Villain first?

Hey all,
    First post here.. Total armchair imagineering, I was wondering what folks out there think of WDI considering revising ideas for a Disney Park first Villain based adventure thrill ride that's based largely around the upcoming Maleficent blockbuster?

I understand that the area between fantasy / frontier lands was most recently being eyeballed for an 'OZ' themed land -perhaps based on the potential success / failure of that film franchise revival. Now that such an idea seems all but buried, I wonder and hope if other serious concepts are being tossed around for proposal?

It's been both rumoured and begged amongst the fan community for years that a Villain based thrill ride be created. Many a reference to a Bald Mountain coaster or an entire 3rd gate. Now that Disney is finally releasing it's first mega blockbuster based around their most deliciously wicked Villain, I really hope this age old idea is rehashed.

Sure the movie would have to be a smash - it certainly looks pretty epic! If successful, could this also spawn a new era of Fantasy Villain flicks? If so why not bring the idea to life in a dark new land for DL?

To control the atmosphere of this 'Shadowlands' realm I think it would be best to enclose it, creating a dark and foreboding environment. The area would feature a village inn style dining venue, Villain and other dark fantasy retailers as well as a spinner type flat ride (something different from the usual but still kid friendly spinner), a walk through type attraction perhaps in the vein of the dragon lair at Disney Paris, a new C ticket dark ride and the headline E ticket - a thrill ride that would use the same Soarin evolved ride system that's planned to headline Avatar land. For those of you not sure, from what I've seen this new system is quite different and really the similarities between the 2 are the giant screens - the ride system is a multi hydraulic and track motion based platform that looks like it will perform outrageously steep and intense motions - far beyond what's been achieved so far. The ride could easily splice footage to feature multiple variations as well as include intense theatre effects - oh yes, it wouldn't be a Villain ride without LOADS OF FIRE!!!

Essentially this area would be the DL equivalent to Avatarland and with a headliner ride system that requires a relatively small footprint, it would allow for a complete land that has a variety of tricks and surprises in a totally immersive and foreboding environment

Thoughts?

Re: Maleficent ride - a Disney Villain first?

I think that would be a great idea fro WDS. They need more rides as they try to make a comeback, and this would fit well.
    I now own property in Frontierland named "The Backside of Water." Life can't get much better.

AP holder

Comment

There's been talk dating back at *least* to DCA's formative phases (back before it was DCA) for a Villain-specific third gate in CA.

Honestly, I don't see it happening in any form. Disney dabbles in the dark side. They can't even keep their heart in it when it's a functional merch spot. I can't see them pulling off more than a halfway decent ride that would still have the "heart" ripped out of it because it's Disney and the good guys HAVE to win. A land would just be a larger version of that cognitive dissonance.
      Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

The villains are so popular I think a ride or especially a park would be wildly popular and a HUGE money maker for Disney. WDW does seem like a more logical place as there is more space and more possibility for them to make money off of resort stays, etc. Still, being local to DLR, I'd rather it be here!

I do hope that with the Maleficent movie they bring her out for some M&G action!
        Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
          There's been talk dating back at *least* to DCA's formative phases (back before it was DCA) for a Villain-specific third gate in CA.

Honestly, I don't see it happening in any form. Disney dabbles in the dark side. They can't even keep their heart in it when it's a functional merch spot. I can't see them pulling off more than a halfway decent ride that would still have the "heart" ripped out of it because it's Disney and the good guys HAVE to win. A land would just be a larger version of that cognitive dissonance.
          As much as I would love a villain centered area, I think this is absolutely true. Disney can give the villains their day, or even a season, but a dedicated villains land is just counter to Disney's mind set.
          sigpic
          “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
          but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
          ​I'm blogging here again!

Comment

A villain themed Disney cruise would be awesome.
            "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Comment

Originally posted by Attic Haunt View Post
              As much as I would love a villain centered area, I think this is absolutely true. Disney can give the villains their day, or even a season, but a dedicated villains land is just counter to Disney's mind set.
              I hear what you guys are saying and from a 'purist' point of view, yes such an idea is pulling away from the values and traditions that the whole Disney empire was built on.. Back in the early 1900's..

I am not so sure of how Disney could have survived without embracing bold new horizons and taking many big risks - particularly in recent times - when you consider how relevant the Marvel Universe is to the Disney standard. Nope not really relevant in the slightest. Regardless, dominating the top10 most successful Blockbuster movie list, it was indisputably worthwhile. Disney are hardly holding back on their winning streak and to cement it's success, a perhaps greater challenge lies in finding a way to incorporate/blend Marvel into their Parks - I think they are keen to see how the HKDL Ironman ride works out first and as blah as it may be to many, Marvel meet and greets will no doubt join the Princesses in becoming a staple part of Disney Parks everywhere.

If Marvel can fit in then I can't see Villains posing a threat to the tapestry. Such an area could add a very unique twist o the landscape and perhaps thread from Fantasyland quite well (perhaps entering under the canopy of a foreboding thorn filled forest?

All said and done, if Maleficent is the super smash Disney are banking on, then what on earth would stop them from doing what Disney does best? It has been too long since they have released a movie to come anywhere close to the draw of Marvel. Maybe this might be just the ticket? Should all go well then Disney will grow the concept as far as the Audience will drive demand for it.

Comment

There again, when you bring in Marvel it is their HEROES that will be at M&Gs and get rides, not their villains. The closest Disney will likely come to showcasing a villain in the park is good old Darth Vader if Star Wars Land is a go. Also, if a villain based ride does make it into the parks, I really think chances are better of it going in a 3rd gate first, or DCA second, keeping the atmosphere of Disneyland Park intact. That being the case, I would LOVE to see a villain themed area added to DCA or made an integral part of a 3rd gate.
                sigpic
                “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
                but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
                ​I'm blogging here again!

Comment

If done well, I don't think Disneyland would have a problem putting in a villain-themed attraction. In fact, I think it could work really well. My own personal thing is why is every new E-ticket idea thought of as a thrill ride? I'm sure there are other ways to feature villains that would be creative that could be explored. Still, this idea is new and original and could make a decent attraction, too.

My thing is as someone who is limited for health reasons on what he can go on, it gets frustrating when so many new ideas discussed (yes, I know many of these are from the fans) are ideas that I couldn't experience.

Sorry for my rant.
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I originally thought or a Maleficent ride for Disneyland. It would be just like Tatsu From SFMM but it would be themed that guest go through a dungeon and to escape, the fairy god mothers have to ride a dragon out. A thrill ride for the teens.

Comment

Personally I agree with the thought to include attractions that cater for a wider audience appeal. Perhaps a land of Darkness could feature a return to the Disney Sensory Experience style of e ticket - that provides extreme thrills without being a physical thrill? At least a combination of that once beloved Alien encounter ish chills? To me that's the kind of wiz-bangWoW factor that Disney trumps best and would dearly love if they further explored the possibilities of unique formats such as this

Comment

Well put.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Thanks. I reckon AE still holds the coveted poo ya pants title for me -ironic really given not a ride, per say. Such a shame it's no more, but like I said maybe a genre of 'sensory thrill' that has yet to be refined

Comment

I guess I just don't understand the whole villian obsession? I never really got into loving the bad guys of the movies, and when people say "Oh xyz is my favorite villian" I can never think of one I'd call my favorite, that's just me.

So personally I'd dislike an entire gate themed to it, even a ride just sounds awful to me. But I mean I know there's an audience out there that would love it, so I'm surprised Disney hasn't done it yet.

When I think of rides with a villian or evil undertone I think of some of the stuff Universal has worked on (both Hollywood and Orlando), and a lot of their rides become scary and not suitable for children.
                            2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
                            *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
                            *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

Comment

Hmm I get wat you're saying, I'm one of those fans who adores Disney for their ability to create a fully immersive environment. I think Carsland was the last to really cut that level of immersion and for that similar reason I anticipate Pandora/avatar will also surprise the sinics with it's execution when eventually revealed in time for Summer 2045
                              DL is overdue for this kind of big, bold new Wow that blows everyone away simply for being totally unique. I hardly see Starwarsland could do this. Originality is the key here so I just can't understand why Disney is being so stingy. Just because a place is spoilt with guaranteed millions visiting and spending every year, what happens when people get sick of the same old thing? Atleast 10years over due and possibly another 10 more before we see anything big

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X