This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] New Idea: "Alpine Village" Subland of Fantasyland

So this is an idea that I've been going over in my head for a little while now and I briefly mentioned on another thread, but I've been thinking about the possibility of adding a "subland" to Fantasyland that would encompass the Northeastern corner of the park where the former Motorboat cruise was once located with the Matterhorn as the "focal point" and would be themed to an Alpine Village that is representative of that region of Europe (Frozen comes into play a little later). In the grand scheme of things, the Alpine Village would affect the Northern border of Tomorrowland and be part of a "new" Fantasyland divided into sublands:

1) Fantasy Faire
    2) Castle Court Yard
    3) Alpine Village
    4) Small World Plaza
    5) Fantasy Woods (another new idea but that's a different story for now)

The new Alpine Village will have in all:

3 Brand New Attractions
    1 "Reimagined" Attraction
    1 "Reimagined" Dinning Location
    1 Relocated retail location
    1 Brand New Retail Location

Here's a brief run through of each of the Attractions:
    Autopia : New track and electric cars that wind along twisting roads that cross over one another and "travel" to the Swiss Alps and wind through some beautiful Alpine scenery while also crossing paths with the trains of the North Mountain Railroad.

Frozen Boat Ride: A new original ride in the style of Pirates that load at ground level and then travel down a small waterfall into the underground showroom, beginning first with a polar "Northern Lights" cave scene similar to POC as well that allows the guests to adjust to the darkness with Frozen's Opening Theme in the back ground that "introduces" guests to Arendelle. The next scenes are two small scenes (Anna and Elsa playing as children/visiting the trolls) to set up the story leading into the big scenes, a For the First Time in Forever scene, a brief interlude scene to Elsa leaving, North Mountain and "Let it Go", a "Rainbow Ice Cavern" (to be shared with the railroad), and then a final "thawing of Arendelle" scene before going back up another waterfall. Olaf would be before the first waterfall in the second waterfall providing intros/endings similar to Scuttle's role in Mermaid.

Frozen Meet N Greet: A new "permanent" location for the Anna/Elsa Meet N Greet that has two separate lines, one for Elsa and one for Anna and long themed queues for each to handle the large crowds.

North Mountain Railroad Train Ride : Another new ride that takes strong inspiration from Nature's Wonderland, the trains depart from an outdoor station, climbing into the "Alpine Wilderness" and seeing some of the wildlife and scenery that the Alps have to offer. The train also has several encounters with guests on the Autopia while winding through the scenery with tributes to Cascade Peak, Beaver Valley, and Bear Lake hidden along the way. The train then goes into the Frozen show building for the "finale", a large "Rainbow Ice Cavern" that resembles Rainbow Caverns before exiting back into the station (none of the Frozen scenes would be seen from the Train).

Unmodified Rides: Disneyland Railroad, Disneyland Monorail, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, and Matterhorn Mountain Bobsleds will continue to exist in their present state, unmodified.

Retail and Dinning:

Edelweiss Snacks (probably needs a rename) : Same location as present but expanded with a new dinning area with tables and a new menu, consisting of the current menu but added to that a Angus Third pound burger, and some hot dogs (perhaps the Mac N Cheese Hot Dog from WDW) and as well for theme, possible several item's from EPCOT's Kringla Bakery.

Fairytale Art: Remains the same but is relocated next to the sub lagoon.

Wandering Oaken's Trading Post: A new retail location that is based of the establishment of the same name from the movie and will be the exit for the Frozen Boat ride and the Frozen Meet N Greet that sells Frozen Merchandise, Fantasyland Merchandise, and perhaps Pins.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Re: New Idea: "Alpine Village" Subland of Fantasyland

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasyland Alpine Village Overview-small.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	7355789

Here's a photo to help visualize things (sorry for it looking quite literally like a colorful spaghetti bowl). I forgot to mention in my original post that the PeopleMover track would be rerouted and demolished a little past the Sub Lagoon as well. I don't know the exact route of the Subs but I don't think that it be a problem (I estimated in the photo). Overall, I don't know the dimensions of that area, I think it would fit but they would have to rip that area up to build the underground show building.

Comment

At this point, I'd rather get rid of the Subs and cede that entire section (Lagoon plus Autopia) to an Alpine subland. Or at the least, turn the Lagoon into a version of Aquatopia (which would keep the kinetic energy of the Lagoon while most likely increasing capacity/decreasing costs), turn the Subs show building over to the Frozen boat ride, and change Autopia to load at its former Fantasyland spot. Then you could utilize the old queue for a future Tomorrowland bit.

Other than that, I really like this idea.

Comment

Anything that brings school bread to this coast has my approval!! I do like the idea, and that corner needs a major overhaul
        Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

I'd be fine with this concept more or less, but I agree with Nirya that it would work better and free up more useful space by removing the Subs. That could create the space for this and a nice pad for more TL expansion.
          The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
          -Walt Disney

Comment

Wow, you obviously put a lot of thought into this. I like your idea's!

Comment

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
              Wow, you obviously put a lot of thought into this. I like your idea's!
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
                At this point, I'd rather get rid of the Subs and cede that entire section (Lagoon plus Autopia) to an Alpine subland. Or at the least, turn the Lagoon into a version of Aquatopia (which would keep the kinetic energy of the Lagoon while most likely increasing capacity/decreasing costs), turn the Subs show building over to the Frozen boat ride, and change Autopia to load at its former Fantasyland spot. Then you could utilize the old queue for a future Tomorrowland bit.

Other than that, I really like this idea.
                For the Autopia, I was actually thinking about making the queue area much smaller than it is now for widening the pathway to the Railroad Station as well as possibly freeing up land for a new attraction in that area, the queue can stay where it is but it doesn't have to be so big.

About the subs, I actually do really like the subs the way they are now (only rode the 59' version once) and I'd kind of like to keep them there but I see your point in minimizing it. I think the best way to cut down on costs would be to "shrink" the footprint of the attraction and maybe cut out a scene or two. At the same time I don't necessarily think that they need all that space in the outer lagoon and that could definitely be shaved off a little bit (With the amount of water that is in the lagoon at any given time, I'd imagine downsizing it a bit would actually take away a fair amount of the water).

Comment

Just looked again at the way the Subs are currently configured, and I wonder if it's possible (since they would already have to rip up that area for construction) if the subs were changed to go in a straight line out towards the railroad tracks and berm and then did a loop out there. Currently it looks like it just goes to the middle, taking up prime real estate. If the track were realigned to more closely "hug" the berm, it would certainly free up more space for the show building.

Comment

Originally posted by TFN5459 View Post
                    Just looked again at the way the Subs are currently configured, and I wonder if it's possible (since they would already have to rip up that area for construction) if the subs were changed to go in a straight line out towards the railroad tracks and berm and then did a loop out there. Currently it looks like it just goes to the middle, taking up prime real estate. If the track were realigned to more closely "hug" the berm, it would certainly free up more space for the show building.
                    I mean, here's the bigger issue at play: whether it's cost effective to try and reconfigure the Subs so that they can remain in the park. Break down what all has to be involved with this:

-Rebuilding the Subs showbuilding for the new track layout, which by necessity includes rebuilding Autopia.
                    -The Subs dry dock would probably need to be moved, unless you intend for a long track to exist to and from the track.
                    -The Railroad would also have to be down for an extended period of time to accommodate construction, if the berm is even tall enough to accommodate the Subs underneath.
                    - The Monorail would also be effected, which, on a positive side, gives you an opportunity to take out the inner figure 8 loop and free up air space above that section.
                    - All of this is in service of a ride with a low riders per hour capacity and high running costs.

Like, this is all possible, but you have to consider how cost-effective it would be, whereas taking out the Subs and repurposing the show building/land it takes up can heavily increase that entire area's capacity. As much as I love the concept of the Subs and want to see them continue, I've become more and more convinced that replacing them while maintaining the Lagoon would be the best decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
                      I mean, here's the bigger issue at play: whether it's cost effective to try and reconfigure the Subs so that they can remain in the park. Break down what all has to be involved with this:

-Rebuilding the Subs showbuilding for the new track layout, which by necessity includes rebuilding Autopia.
                      -The Subs dry dock would probably need to be moved, unless you intend for a long track to exist to and from the track.
                      -The Railroad would also have to be down for an extended period of time to accommodate construction, if the berm is even tall enough to accommodate the Subs underneath.
                      - The Monorail would also be effected, which, on a positive side, gives you an opportunity to take out the inner figure 8 loop and free up air space above that section.
                      - All of this is in service of a ride with a low riders per hour capacity and high running costs.

Like, this is all possible, but you have to consider how cost-effective it would be, whereas taking out the Subs and repurposing the show building/land it takes up can heavily increase that entire area's capacity. As much as I love the concept of the Subs and want to see them continue, I've become more and more convinced that replacing them while maintaining the Lagoon would be the best decision.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasyland Alpine Village Overview - Sub Realignment.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	7355791

I was thinking something more along the lines of what is shown in red above. You're right, the track and part of the showbuilding along with the dry dock would have to be relocated and I'm sure that would cost $$$ but I think that if they ran less subs and had less water in the showbuilding, it would save a little bit of money. I think the monorail should continue having the configuration that it has presently, but the grades can be taken out if the Peoplemover track is indeed removed or shortened.

Comment

Nice idea, I think I'd remove both the subs and autopia though, and split the land between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.
                        Disneyland Cast Member
                        Outdoor Vending
                        1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Great ideas! I'd love an Alpine themed area back there!

Comment

This sounds fantastic! What a great way to incorporate Frozen into the park (aside from Olaf in Fantasyland- whom we adore)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X