Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man....in Disney Parks?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man....in Disney Parks?

So if you didn't hear, Spider-Man is now visiting with guests in Disneyland Paris. He's not visiting as a character, but as a legitimate tie-in to his new film, as you can see in the video below.

Also, these started to pop up here in the States in D Street and the Star Trader.

Just for extra measure to show that it is legitimate (as Iron Man is already a part of Disney)...

Spidey is slowly creeping into the parks. What could this mean? Did I miss something, or is the slow transition from Sony to Disney beginning to occur?
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man....in Disney Parks?

Sony still owns the film rights, Disney owns the character. So Disney is probably just using the film as an opportunity to sell more Spiderman merch as well as start to integrate him into the brand. There's also a possibility that Sony and Disney made some kind of cross promotional agreement since it would benefit both parties.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Comment

Also, Disney cannot use Spiderman in any attractions or appearances at WDW due to an exclusivity agreement with Universal.
      The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
      -Walt Disney

Comment

Studios Park seems like the best fit for the Spiderman character. Ideally I'd like to see them stick to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in CA.
        Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

ORDDU: Personally--and I've said this before--none of the Marvel characters really belong at Disneyland. The more non-Disney properties that are promoted at Disney theme parks, the more watered down the original brand becomes until it isn't even Disney anymore.

ORWEN: And the only reason we go to Disney theme parks is to be immersed in Disney's world of characters--not some other studio's characters or themes.

Comment

Actually, since Disney ownes Marvel, they are not "some other studio's characters" they are Disney characters.

Comment

I agree with the Witchs Marvel doesn't belong in Disney and I will never sopost Marvel there for one thing and the other I'm not a Marvel fan other then the X-Men.

Comment

I was a little skeptical too about Marvel characters coming into the parks. But I must admit the way Disney has done their costumes is far superior to anything Universal has done in the past. I was really impressed with Thor's over at Innoventions.

Comment

Most of what is thought of as Disney today was not created by Disney. From the Three Little Pigs to Marry Poppins, Walt used tons of of things, from fairy tales to popular novels to fables as source material. Walt started off having to use stories in the public domain and eventually was able to start buying more and more expensive material. The only difference is that now Disney is big enough to buy entire catalogs of material from their originators rather then one movie at a time.
                  -Walt Disney

Comment

I think that if Disney differentiates on quality and houses new characters and franchises properly, then anything is fair game.

Comment

I don't mind them in the parks. The parks are for all things Disney which now includes Marvel. The next film from Walt Disney Animation is even based on a Marvel property.

Disney does seem to understand that Marvel characters wandering Main Street would be jarring to a lot of guests. Being in Innovations is pretty low key considering how popular Marvel movies are right now.

Comment

I really enjoy the Marvel Universe and hope to see it included in some park someday, but I hope it's not Disneyland. I already find the presence of Star Wars to be a dilution of Walt's vision. It doesn't help that I consider Lucas to be possibly the biggest hack in Hollywood. If it does end up at Disneyland, I hope it's well implemented and fits into tomorrowland seamlessly.
                        "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
                        -
                        G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                          Sony still owns the film rights, Disney owns the character. So Disney is probably just using the film as an opportunity to sell more Spiderman merch as well as start to integrate him into the brand. There's also a possibility that Sony and Disney made some kind of cross promotional agreement since it would benefit both parties.
                          Disney owns all merchandising rights for Spider-Man, so it makes sense that they'd promote the movie, if anything just to sell more stuff. Sony only owns film rights (including distribution) and I think home video sales.

Comment

Unlike Capt America and Thor, a Spiderman costume is tough to pull of without looking like PJ's (Universal...*cough, cough*).

The "Disney" marvel characters were designed with realism in mind and I think the "face" characters can better pull it off. I'm not sure that I would be interested in seeing anyone in a skin tight onesie, especially if he is friendly...
                            I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

ORDDU: While it's true that The 3 Little Pigs and other fairy tales did not belong to Disney, they created their own versions of those stories--which were often very different from the originals--so the DISNEY versions of the fairy tales is what makes them Disney.

ORWEN: And the fact that Disney bought Marvel is just a technical aspect that has nothing to do with the original spirit of Disney magic.

ORDDU: There was a more innocent, light hearted kind of magic that becomes diluted when the world of Marvel is brought in to compete with Disney's own original characters.

ORWEN: But we understand why some fans would welcome Marvel with open arms since they may have already been Marvel fans and they aren't likely to understand why some of the rest of us don't like mixing up such different worlds with each other.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X