Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David and Ashley's Gumball Rally 2014 Trip Report (Strategy Edition)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report David and Ashley's Gumball Rally 2014 Trip Report (Strategy Edition)

(the #1 rule, of course, is have fun
    Exercise/activity stats for the whole day*does not include vehicular motion
    Estimates for the race portion of the day only
    Steps Taken: 14,000
    Distance Traveled: 6.1mi
    Scoring and placement stats

Pre-Pre-Race

Pre-Race Morning

twists

"Lanyards will be distributed on a case by case basis." Agent Koenig (Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

The Race is On!

twice

Well played, question crew.

This is about as easy as the questions get. Still, you must ride the rides to earn the points!

"Big" was a bit of an understatement.

Thankfully, some of the more-experienced teams remembered to take pictures. Thanks, Dead Men Blow No Bubbles!

RIP Billy Jack
    entire

E) Maynard turns the fountain off if you try to take a drink from it

From the Tiki Room forward, we had a pretty flawless run, finally met our namesake allies, the Agents of D.I.S.N.E.Y., and knocked out a ton of attractions before grabbing Roger Rabbit fast-passes just before the parade. As the parade was wrapping up, we danced back and forth in front of the Storybook line to avoid being shooed away by the Cast Members directing traffic. Before you know it, no fewer than 20 other teams show up and we all high-fived each other all the way through the endlessly winding Storybook line. Several of the eventual medalists converged on this attraction, including team Super Mouse Bros., who would go on to place 1st.

(photo courtesy of George Taylor, ImagiNERDing)
    My hat's off to you guys (ooh, burn!) ...really though, we're glad you found your hat.

The rest of the race, we just picked up points where we could and finished early before the second parade could catch us.

Post-Race Evening

We scarfed down a tasty dinner at La Brea Bakery as we watched the other teams race to the finish.

We enjoyed a wonderful secondth place.

They really did a nice job on these medals.

Sunday Meet-up

65 thousand

Until next time!

Re: David and Ashley's Gumball Rally 2014 Trip Report (Strategy Edition)

Originally posted by Polycosm View Post
    4. Single Rider was allowed this year, which meant we would not be skipping Matterhorn.

5. No early turn-in. This solidified our exit strategy: catch the 6:20 showing of Lincoln and stay out of the way of the 6:30 parade. We knew this would leave about 15 minutes of unused time on the table, but we reasoned that it was better to bank that time towards owning the tie-breaker rather than try to fight the parade on the way to the finish. (As it turns out, our reasoning may have been flawed on this one—we thought that the second parade would be a death-trap, but it seems like our reconnaissance was off, as several teams were able to attend and finish on-time without incident).
    Of course, with OUR team name, we couldn't skip the Matterhorn, either! On the other hand, because of our team name we did NOT use single-rider, but instead went on as a team to ride it all together.

We were one of the teams that did take in the 6:30 parade, and we did finish on-time, but only by seconds, as it turns out. (whew)

Here is a photo of you at the Sunday meet-up. Glad to have rallied with you this year; look forward to 2015!

Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

Comment

1st Rally and 10th place.....very impressive! I think some of the other teams better watch their backs next year when you apply some of your lessons learned......

Comment

Congratulations on your tenth place - well done! This almost makes me want to do the rally! And thanks for the extremely detailed trip report on your strategy and actual race -this is one of the best I have read in a long time.

Comment

My bucket list won't be complete until I participate in a MiceChat Gumball Rally!

Comment

Congratulations on your awesome first Rally experience! I love that you mentioned the other two teams with your similar name theme. We really need to start coordinating getting those teams together for pictures.

I hope to see the two of you at future events. If you want to volunteer one of these years, we would love to have you! I think you should at least try for the trophy another year.
            Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
            I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Hi! This is Lisa of the 1959 Yodeling Mountain Shark Bobsled Team of Tomorrowland Lagoon (8th Place)

Awesome trip report and super duper congratulations on 10th place on your first try! This year was my boyfriend and I's first time as a team but I competed with a different partner in 2011 and came in 14th place that time. Anyway, it was really neat hearing about how your day went, so thank you!

You mentioned that some of the other top teams had a different starting strategy (which I don't know what that was) but we also started with a Space Mountain FP like you did!

We were one of the teams that caught the 6:40 showing of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and had 5 minutes to make it to turn in and we made it fine =)

Another funny thing is that we also had the strategy to hit Storybookland as soon as it re-opened right after the parade, but our plan was foiled and I'm still bummed out that we missed the convergence of top teams!! We got off Casey Jr. right as the beginning of the parade was passing Alice in Wonderland so we headed straight through the castle gates and watched it from the hub! Once we had all of our questions answered, we made a bee line to Storybook Land but alas, the line had balooned to be very long as too many Gumball Rally teams had beat us there! Not to worry though, instead we took advantage of the short wait for Mr. Toad's Wild ride due to the parade!

We had the same strategy of hitting Toontown at 10:00 when it opened and also did not get to ride Roger Rabbit because it was down at that time! We gathered all of the rest of the points in the area and unfortunately were not able to return to Toontown again.

The rides we missed were: Roger Rabbit, Storybook Land, Jungle Cruise, King Arthur Carousel and Haunted Mansion.

Roger Rabbit was just too far for us to return to after we left that part of the park.

Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion had ballooned to abnormally long wait times- we assume they had been upgraded to "must ride" status for a lot of park guests due to so many other popular rides being closed for referb that day. The 40 minute or more wait times that we kept encountering all day for those attractions did not provide as good of a points/time ratio as most of the other attractions on our list.

Answering the question and riding King Arthur Carousel also seemed like it would take more time than other 1 point options.

We didn't have time for Storybook Land in the morning when Fantasyland wait times were short, and we missed our opportunity to hit it right after the parade, so it was pretty much a 2 point ride that would have taken us about 30-40 minutes to wait in line for and experience.. so we ended up skipping it completely.
              Last edited by Gwenchanter; 05-14-2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Hey, Brian from Agents of D.I.S.N.E.Y. I have to say that the Roger Rabbit/parade part of the day was the only thing we did right. What we did is got a FP for Roger did Toontown than tried to head over for CC and wait to almost the last second of FP return time to come back so that way after RR we could line up at iasw and watch the parade after we made a bee line to the train because that was the only point when the line was not unreasonable.
                Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
                http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Comment

Wow, congratulations on placing in your first Gumball Rally! That is quite an accomplishment! This was my third Gumball Rally and I have yet to place (SIGH). It sounds like we had a very similar strategy, and similar bad luck (CURSE THAT ROGER RABBIT!). Anyways, great detailed trip report! Gumball Rally trip reports are definitely my favorite Hopefully we'll have a chance to meet in future Gumball Rally events!
                  My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Great trip report! Thanks for posting this! It was great meeting you while getting our medals!

Comment

Great trip report! We waved at you a couple of times during the day, but it was great to have the chance to actually TALK to you at the noon meet on Sunday. See you at the Rally next year!
                      proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X