This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

So, saw maleficent last night and I have a concern.

Now that they have pretty much made maleficent a hero who goes a little bad for a bit, doesn't this hurt Disney in terms of the parks?

They have pretty much taken their most iconic villain and gone "nope, she good fool!"

How will this affect things like Halloween now at the parks?

Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

Originally posted by bjmort View Post
    So, saw maleficent last night and I have a concern.

Now that they have pretty much made maleficent a hero who goes a little bad for a bit, doesn't this hurt Disney in terms of the parks?

They have pretty much taken their most iconic villain and gone "nope, she good fool!"

How will this affect things like Halloween now at the parks?
    I don't think it will be a problem, as she's still "classified" as a villain.
    I saw the movie yesterday - and liked it.
    It reminded me of how they've changed characters on their ABC/Disney Tv show Once Upon a Time.
    In fact, there's one plot twist near the end that was a variation on a new interpretation of an old theme that was used already in OUAT(don't want to write too much here, despite your spoiler warning).

Comment

How was it? They've been promoting the absolute hell out of it, and that usually means that it's an absolutely rotten dog turd of a movie...

Comment

The first thing I told my girlfriend after seeing the movie was, "How is this going to affect meeting Aurora?"*** SPOILER*** If we ask her about Maleficent, is she going to praise Maleficent as her fairy godmother or see her as the wicked dragon from the animated movie.
        The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!
        sigpic

Comment

ORDDU: In the same way the live action version of Alice in Wonderland had no effect on the animated version, the live action characters in Maleficent will have no effect on the animated versions of Sleeping Beauty.

ORWEN: This latest Maleficent movie should just be considered something out of a parallel universe and nothing else. I mean, everybody knows what a big liar Maleficent is to begin with. Of course she'd try to deceive everybody with lies about herself and King Stefan and everybody else.

ORDDU: The Wicked Witch of the West tried to spread the same sort of lies to deceive Wizard of Oz fans, too. But everybody knows that Glinda is still the better witch.

ORWEN: You just can't take any of these Disney villains seriously. Prince Phillip was the only person who could really wake up Aurora--PERIOD!!

ORDDU: So don't let yourselves be concerned about anything Maleficent has to say about the story of Sleeping Beauty, ducklings. She just wants attention...

Comment

Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty =/= Maleficent from Maleficent.

If you're at the park and she's green, she's from the 1959 film. If she's not green, she's the Angelina Jolie version. The events from the Maleficent film are completely different from the 1959 animated film, so they're two separate, different characters.

Comment

...or we could also look at it as saying that the 'toon Maleficent was just playing a role and that she wasn't bad, she's drawn that way. After all, in the original movie she doesn't seem to be alive at the end, and there she is at the park, alive, kicking and happy as a clam...
              Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

I just came back from watching it despite the bad reviews all over the place. Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain so despite better judgment I went to go see if for myself to see what went so horribly wrong.

Taking one of the most evil villains from the Disney animated classic films and turning her into a heroine who cries at auroras bedside (not briar rose this time, at any point of the film. Lets call her by her royal name even though we are trying to be in hiding and in disguise) and watching over her, taking care of her even though not to long ago she wanted that girl dead....man.

I could go on and on about how insulting this movie was but ill just leave with this.

I felt about this movie pretty much how I felt about Brave. A movie is pretty much completed a year or so before it hits the big screens, inbetween that time and release is when it is advertised and pitched to audiences and test screened. When a company knows they have a film that is lackluster, they try to pitch it as something that it is not to try to get as many people in the theaters as possible to cash out ASAP.

The teasers and trailers for Brave made it seem as if it was going to be a Grand Adventure with this girl who would protect her kingdom. That was the feeling most got from the posters and trailers. What we were not told, at all, that the core of the story was a mom and daughter having a hissy fit with each other which would end of having the mother turn into a bear which is the main plotline. Had audiences known this, I am sure most have not cared much for the movie and waited for a rental. The trailers were not honest, and hoodwinked people into something that was falsely advertised.

Maleficent was no different. The trailers advertised this as the story of Sleeping Beauty from the viewpoint of Maleficent and what transpired on her side of things rather than Auroras.

They knew very well, that if they advertised this movie as "Hey, here comes Disney's greatest villain, but wait! She is a heroine now! And she is going to save the day!" People would have scoffed and raised hell at such an insult to the classic story/character.

Ugh, I could go on, but ive said enough im sure. Im out. It was gross.

Comment

The movie had predicable plot (I guessed everything in Act II) the artwork was amazing but I do not see this lasting very long now. The Maleficent craze is almost over so we could go back and wait for a the next big budget Disney film...ugh it Cinderella. This will have no long term effects on the park.
                  Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
                  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Comment

I don't think it will effect the park at all. It was a good movie, but not a classic in my opinion. The craze will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Warlock128 View Post
                      I just came back from watching it despite the bad reviews all over the place. Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain so despite better judgment I went to go see if for myself to see what went so horribly wrong.

Taking one of the most evil villains from the Disney animated classic films and turning her into a heroine who cries at auroras bedside (not briar rose this time, at any point of the film. Lets call her by her royal name even though we are trying to be in hiding and in disguise) and watching over her, taking care of her even though not to long ago she wanted that girl dead....man.

Maleficent was no different. The trailers advertised this as the story of Sleeping Beauty from the viewpoint of Maleficent and what transpired on her side of things rather than Auroras.

They knew very well, that if they advertised this movie as "Hey, here comes Disney's greatest villain, but wait! She is a heroine now! And she is going to save the day!" People would have scoffed and raised hell at such an insult to the classic story/character.

Ugh, I could go on, but ive said enough im sure. Im out. It was gross.
                      You're welcome to your views on the film, but I think a lot of people (online) are against this movie because of its portrayal of Maleficent, instead of judging the film on its own merits as a film. People also should keep in mind that this isn't simply a live-action remake of the 1959 animated film. It's a different take, as events in this film are completely different than in the animated film. I won't go into spoilers because the film is still new, but there are several things in this film that differentiate it from the animated film. And as I said earlier, the Maleficent here is not the Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. She remains untouched. If someone isn't a fan of this take, why get angry? It's a different version. It's not like Disney made a sequel to the animated film that "redeems" Maleficent. In Sleeping Beauty Maleficent is the villain, she dies at the end, happy ending. The Maleficent in Maleficent is not the same character.

The general movie going audience would have seen this film regardless if it showed Maleficent 'wasn't all that bad.' We have to keep in mind that most people who see this film aren't Disney fanatics like us, and they either: a. don't know, or b. don't care about how Maleficent is in Sleeping Beauty. And the trailers depict her as someone who was wronged - "I had wings once, they were taken from me," as we're shown a shady-looking King Stefan. That's right in the trailers. So it was clear that this was a Maleficent who was pretty much justified instead of acting out of pure evilness (which makes for a boring character, especially as the protagonist in a big summer movie).

I also want to mention that Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty is viewed as "one of the most evil Disney villains" by people, but in Sleeping Beauty she actually didn't do much, aside from cursing baby Aurora. She calls upon "the powers of Hell," turns into a dragon, and is killed about 90 seconds later. What did she do that made her so "evil"? She was bad, yeah, but the mistress of evil or the female version of the Devil she wasn't. At least the Maleficent in Maleficent killed people. I love Sleeping Beauty, liked Maleficent. I like both the animated version of Maleficent and the Angelina Jolie Maleficent. There's enough room for both, and Jolie's Maleficent is being compared to the animated Maleficent when she's really not playing the same character. If this were a live-action remake of the animated film, I could understand the hate. As it is, this is loosely based on the animated film, but this film goes its own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kovu View Post
                        You're welcome to your views on the film, but I think a lot of people (online) are against this movie because of its portrayal of Maleficent, instead of judging the film on its own merits as a film. People also should keep in mind that this isn't simply a live-action remake of the 1959 animated film. It's a different take, as events in this film are completely different than in the animated film. I won't go into spoilers because the film is still new, but there are several things in this film that differentiate it from the animated film. And as I said earlier, the Maleficent here is not the Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. She remains untouched. If someone isn't a fan of this take, why get angry? It's a different version. It's not like Disney made a sequel to the animated film that "redeems" Maleficent. In Sleeping Beauty Maleficent is the villain, she dies at the end, happy ending. The Maleficent in Maleficent is not the same character.

The general movie going audience would have seen this film regardless if it showed Maleficent 'wasn't all that bad.' We have to keep in mind that most people who see this film aren't Disney fanatics like us, and they either: a. don't know, or b. don't care about how Maleficent is in Sleeping Beauty. And the trailers depict her as someone who was wronged - "I had wings once, they were taken from me," as we're shown a shady-looking King Stefan. That's right in the trailers. So it was clear that this was a Maleficent who was pretty much justified instead of acting out of pure evilness (which makes for a boring character, especially as the protagonist in a big summer movie).

I also want to mention that Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty is viewed as "one of the most evil Disney villains" by people, but in Sleeping Beauty she actually didn't do much, aside from cursing baby Aurora. She calls upon "the powers of Hell," turns into a dragon, and is killed about 90 seconds later. What did she do that made her so "evil"? She was bad, yeah, but the mistress of evil or the female version of the Devil she wasn't. At least the Maleficent in Maleficent killed people. I love Sleeping Beauty, liked Maleficent. I like both the animated version of Maleficent and the Angelina Jolie Maleficent. There's enough room for both, and Jolie's Maleficent is being compared to the animated Maleficent when she's really not playing the same character. If this were a live-action remake of the animated film, I could understand the hate. As it is, this is loosely based on the animated film, but this film goes its own way.
                        I agree. I don't understand why people think she is "the most evil villain." She put a reversible curse on a baby. Big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by madgei View Post
                          I agree. I don't understand why people think she is "the most evil villain." She put a reversible curse on a baby. Big deal.
                          I, too, consider her "the" Disney villain, as far as being iconic goes. But she curses Aurora and... that's it. Even Scar actually murdered Mufassa and tried to off Simba. She is a bad guy, and a fine villain, but other Disney villains outclassed her in the "evil" department. Sleeping Beauty was made in the 50s, of course, and cursing an innocent baby because she didn't receive an invitation is a crappy thing to do, so she's a fine villain. She revels in being bad. I just don't agree with the "Maleficent is the evilest character" stance that is so often used as a reason to dislike the new Maleficent movie.

Comment

I saw Maleficent today and LOVED IT!!! Angelina Jolie's performance was flawless, the pace was great, characterisaions and fantasy creatures.. . All great in my view.

I love how you learn to understand why she became and fall in love with her. Parts of it felt very 'Avatar' and I just loved how the Hero became the Villain and back to Hero again. It was pure Disney magic and a wonderfully different take on a classic fairytale.

I just don't understand all the criticism coming out over it. I guess nowadays there is an expectation that is built around hype that all too often the reality is bound to disappoint. Shame. Why can't we just enjoy things for what they are?

Comment

I love Maleficent the character, and I am glad they've done a closer look at her. It reminded me of "Wicked" where you find out that Elphaba has this richly layered story that makes her a lot more sympathetic. And on some level that worked for me, because it made no sense for Maleficent to be so angry about missing the party that she'd curse a child who had done nothing to her. It seemed as though she had absolutely nothing to gain from that, unlike all of the other Disney villains who are angling for power, status or some tangible prize.

As to M at the park: in addition to what I wrote in my first post, I feel as though they've sweetened a number of the villains in recent years, including Maleficent. Instead of having the villains be truly fearsome, they seem like the park versions of Oscar the Grouch. They're crabby and they will be mean to adults, but that's about it.
                              Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X