• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisCollector
    MiceChatter
    • Nov 2012

Re: Has Disneyland ever MOVED a ride?

I'm sure they can move another ride to another land if they really wanted to, considering they've moved Carousel of Progress across the country.

Comment

• TFN5459
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by DisCollector View Post
      I'm sure they can move another ride to another land if they really wanted to, considering they've moved Carousel of Progress across the country.
      Yup, I think they are definitely capable of moving attractions. Small World and Lincoln were moved all the way from New York and granted they weren't able to move everything (like the Tower of the Four Winds for example) but the attractions made it and were reassembled at Disneyland. The Set's and vehicles can definitely be relocated from Roger Rabbit but I don't know how much of the track or the facade could actually be salvaged.
      "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
      "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

• frollofan
        ********ter
        • Mar 2010

They also moved the Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom

Comment

• bigcatrik
          MiceChatter
          • May 2012

The Carousel Of Progress went from here to New York, back here, and then back to the East Coast/Florida so, yes, it's gone far.

But as was the case with iasw, Lincoln and Magic Skyway, only the interior stuff gets shipped. The building stays behind and the interior stuff is housed in a new building. Could you imagine them picking up the World Fair iasw building, putting it on a HUGE flatbed truck and driving it cross-country? Or maybe airlifting it with four big industrial-strength helicopters, one at each corner.

Comment

• Hatty
            Sock Puppet
            • Jan 2014

[QUOTE=Wren;1057122732]They moved the Matterhorn from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland I believe...[/QUOTE.]
            Good one...

Comment

• bingocimo
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2014

Yes I would imagine as in my scenario they probably wouldn't move the entire building, or would they? Not sure of outside of the ride mechanism (track), cars and interior art what all could be treated as a component. On this note, I wonder if Imagineers have guidelines for the portability or at least some type of component guidelines when designing rides.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Donald's #1 Fan
                • May 2005

They have moved the Monorail station, haven't they? Also the railroad tracks, berm, I believe the land of Tom Sawyer's Island (I could be mistaken)...

Comment

• TFN5459
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by fjhuerta View Post
                  They have moved the Monorail station, haven't they? Also the railroad tracks, berm, I believe the land of Tom Sawyer's Island (I could be mistaken)...
                  They realigned the track approaching the Tomorrowland station, but I don't believe either station has been relocated. You can't move the Tomorrowland one as the Subs are right below it and the Downtown Disney station was built on the land that the Disneyland Hotel Station once stood on.

Comment

• BogLurch
                    Inactive
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by bingocimo View Post
                    Yes I would imagine as in my scenario they probably wouldn't move the entire building, or would they? Not sure of outside of the ride mechanism (track), cars and interior art what all could be treated as a component. On this note, I wonder if Imagineers have guidelines for the portability or at least some type of component guidelines when designing rides.
                    Most likely the level of transfer would depend on the budget.

If the money was flowing freely, I'd wager Imagineering would triage the entire ride, figure out what was working just fine, what they could improve on, what needed replacement and such. I don't think (unless it were a truly unique structure designed to be moved) that they would move ride buildings, simply because most of them are fairly utilitarian underneath elaborate decoration - as seen in Indy.

Certain elements would transfer regardless of budget. I mean, look at America Sings - Splash Mountain has nothing to do with it, but the animatronics could easily be retrofitted to a new use so *poof* second lives for all!
                    Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

• tgdiver
                      MiceChatter
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by whipland View Post
                      the alignment for the dlrr has been changed several times to allow for park expansion.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a branch line that ran to dca?
                      yes!

Comment

• theatremouse
                        MiceChatter
                        • Sep 2013

the alignment for the dlrr has been changed several times to allow for park expansion.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a branch line that ran to dca?
                        But then either all tickets would need to be park hoppers or you'd only be allowed to ride if you had a hopper or other such messiness.

Comment

• Mojave
                          DLR Construction nut
                          • Nov 2005

They moved the DLRR barn once.
                          And the Monorail barn twice.

Don't know if they count, but history is fun.

Comment

• Malina
                            MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

The Grand Canyon and Primeval World were both moved from the World's Fair in NYC, too.

It's not really a full ride, but the animatronics from America Sings were moved across the park to Splash Mountain.

And didn't they move the Mad Tea Party? I'm sure I've seen older photos of the park with the teacups closer to the Carousel.
                            Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

• Bob Weaver
                              MiceChatter
                              • Aug 2009

Yes, Mad Tea Party moved closer to Alice.

Didn't the Indian Village attraction move, not once but twice?

Comment

• TFN5459
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                                The Grand Canyon and Primeval World were both moved from the World's Fair in NYC, too.
                                Actually just the Primeval World moved as it was part of the Ford Magic Skyway from the Fair. The Grand Canyon Diorama opened at Disneyland in 1958 and has been there ever since, it hasn't moved anywhere.

Comment

• BigThunder
                                  U. B. Bold
                                  • Apr 2005

During the New Fantasyland refurb of '83 all of the dark rides were basically gutted and rebuilt. None were moved per se, but none are the same rides they were. As mentioned, the Tea Cups, Carousel and Dumbo were all moved (but the Dumbo we have now is not the original. The current Dumbo spinner was originally built for Disneyland Paris. It has 16 elephants and the original had only 10).
                                  Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                    Donald's #1 Fan
                                    • May 2005

They moved / changed / merged the 3 Autopias for quite a while.

Comment

• ravencroft
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jul 2005

The Entrance for Space Mountain used to be front and center with escalators taking the riders up to the top deck. It was supposed to simulate space port travel. It was not practical for the size of the queue today so the escalators were taken out and the long walkway to the ramps far in the back are now used.
                                      --
                                      http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

• VintageMouse
                                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by fjhuerta View Post
                                        They moved / changed / merged the 3 Autopias for quite a while.
                                        Actually, they merged the Tomorrowland and Fantasyland Autopias. The third autopia was the Midget Autopia. It was removed when they installed It's A Small World.

Comment

• VintageMouse
                                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                          Yes, Mad Tea Party moved closer to Alice.

Didn't the Indian Village attraction move, not once but twice?
                                          I believe that the Indian Village was originally closer to Adventureland. It was moved to where Critter Country is currently located. Not aware of any other moves.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X