Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wrong with the rolling ball scene in indian jones!!!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] What is wrong with the rolling ball scene in indian jones!!!

The last three times Ive rode Indiana Jones beginning on the 24 hr event
    I've witness the most awkward Indian Jones moment ever and Nope it isn't Indy moving around without talking

Its getting doing right turn into the Rolling Rock scene and seeing the ball fall and then go backwards! Right when we fall the part where the ball is turns pitch black!

it cracks me up and confuses me all the time!

I say its my jedi power though

Re: What is wrong with the rolling ball scene in indian jones!!!

I don't think the boulder has worked properly since the ride opened. Whenever I have been on it in the past 5 years or so it has never worked right.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Yeah, the timing of that effect has been off consistently for several years. I know it worked when I first went on the ride when it opened, and still worked when I went a couple of years later, but for at least the past 5-6 years, I've been on the ride plenty of times and it hasn't been quite right in that time at all. Mind you, I'm not saying I see it roll back up every time. That's less common, but the timing in general is off. Like it rolls down, and stops. Then you go under. So there's no suspense about "oh no it's coming right at us".
      Last edited by theatremouse; 06-13-2014, 07:47 AM.

Comment

ORGOCH: Sounds like Indy needs ta git some new balls!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
          ORGOCH: Sounds like Indy needs ta git some new balls!!!
          :lol:

Comment

It's probably worked 90% of the time we've ridden it but did not work when we were there last week. Very surprising after coming out of a refurb.

Comment

Can somebody give a step-by-step description of how the effect is supposed to work? I ride very infrequently (I find it uncomfortable), but I'm going with a group this weekend and I'll ride it if they do. I'd like to be able to judge how it's working. Include what the vehicle is doing because the illusion of backing up has, apparently, always worked on me since I would swear that the ride vehicle backs up.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                Can somebody give a step-by-step description of how the effect is supposed to work? I ride very infrequently (I find it uncomfortable), but I'm going with a group this weekend and I'll ride it if they do. I'd like to be able to judge how it's working. Include what the vehicle is doing because the illusion of backing up has, apparently, always worked on me since I would swear that the ride vehicle backs up.
                so when the transport comes around the corner from the spitting and throwing spears scene the Boulder is pulled back with a set of cords that pull back on tension so it pulls back in the chamber and stops until Indy is done with his little saying the transport sways and moves around and when the boulder is in sight, the walls around you, and above you move toward you and you move forward down a grade and drop about 15 or 20 feet while your vehicle ejects you toward the boulder as strobe lights illuminate it, which makes it apper as if if is right on top of you the moment the strobe lights go out the tension in the cords pull back the boulder into the position that we started at and if your at the front of the transport behind the one that just dropped you can see the scene moving back to the ready position, if you look at the right angle you can see the walls move and the boulder

Correct me if i'm wrong
                I :love: Fresh baked!

Comment

LAst time I remember it working at its full potential was in.. wait for it... 1998.

Most of the time it's pretty hit or miss. Or it sort of works but there's no fear factor in it. In 1998 I hit my head so hard on the front bars when I saw the boulder I saw stars...

Comment

About the only effects that seem to consistently work are the corniest ones, specifically the headlight obvious projection of bugs and seemingly unrelated air blasts immediately afterward, and the air blasts in the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-esque dart room. Olmec may or may not shoot a laser at you, the Poltergeist house skeletons may or may not pop out at you, the Jafar snake will likely barely move, you may or may not see the projected rats dropping into the car and the boulder could go one of three ways: A. you seem to reverse and then the boulder rolls at you; B. it's dark and awkward for everyone, you don't seem to go backwards and the boulder doesn't make its appearance; C. the boulder scene resets as you enter it and then skips your transport, you basically get option B with an extra WTF moment at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                      There was an amazing diagram/animation on YouTube, but it's been removed.

From what I understand, the boulder is basically spinning in the same spot and never moves. The transport rocks back and forth, and the whole room (walls and ceiling) moves around you, giving the illusion that you the transport goes into reverse and then back into drive before going down the drop, while the boulder is "rolling" towards you. The combination of the strobe effects and you moving make the boulder seem way closer than it actually is.

Here is a video that sort of explains it pretty easily. This was an Imagineer model that sold at an auction a while back. Skip to about 1:23

Last edited by explodingboy; 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Not to jinx it, but all of the times we've been on Indy, everything has worked perfectly - special effects and all.

Comment

The only time I've ever had issues on Indy was really busy days. Once they start cranking out jeeps, it seems like the effects don't have enough time to reset.

Comment

I had never seen it have problems up until two years ago. Somehow something changed and now they're having a hard time keeping it working properly.
                            Disneyland Cast Member
                            Outdoor Vending
                            1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X