Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Do you feel safe on Disney attractions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you feel safe on Disney attractions?

I figure for the most part, I'm safe. I've been involved in one catastrophic ride failure at a carnival, but I'm still willing to ride those as well. The choice is ride and accept that you're lashing yourself to a giant machine full of moving parts with a (hopefully) reasonably accommodated safety requirements or not ride at all.

OK, maybe"lashing yourself to a giant machine full of moving parts" may not have been the most comforting turn of phrase.
    Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
      You went down the drops at the same speed. The extra mass at the same speed (momentum) took you further into the splash zones, displacing more water, and thusly more water coming into the log. Gravity is a constant, and you don't fall faster because you are heavier.
      But doesn't that deal with "terminal velocity" ??

The log never reaches terminal velocity, so couldn't it possibly go faster with more weight up to that point? Of course, I was only mediocre in science class, so I could be terribly wrong.
      Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.

Comment

I feel safe on Disney rides since I don't think any of them are scary. The only pause I have is when I am about to be upside down on Screamin'.

Comment

Since working Attractions and talking to other CMs in Attractions, I know what causes accidents and most of the safety features. Every attraction has blind spots but the fact that an attraction has a blind spot doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe. Some attractions don't have intrusion alarms that trigger Automatic Emergency Stops but most of these attractions are typically monitored by CM. Your average attraction doesn't have a restraint sensor but every restraint attraction has a restraint/belt check. Some Emergency Stops can't immediately stop a vehicle in motion due to simple physics but this is probably safer in the long run. CM rotations not only help CMs stay sane but also ensure that multiple eyes and ears monitor an attraction and its vehicles. Guests reporting unusual noises, smells, and sights also help us keep you safe. Several CMs are bilingual/bilingual enough that in the event of an emergency evacuation it's not like the non-English speakers are doomed. With the exception of Pirates, Small World, and possibly Splash Mountain, your average actual emergency attraction evacuation can be completed in less than 10 minutes.(I've never seen an actual emergency evacuation where every exit on an attraction was utilised but based on the number of emergency doors in each dark ride I know it can completed quickly if it had to.) Every attraction that you think is unsafe probably has a CM or sensor monitoring it. And in the rare event that there's no camera, sensor, or other supervision then there was probably a CM who checked your restraint to make sure you'd stay put and safe.

Goofy's Sky School usually makes me nervous but the reality is Attraction CMs walk the track every morning and night during opening and closing procedures so the should spot any structural deformities. 3rd shift Maintenance cycles the attraction for at least 2-4 hours after park closing and wouldn't sign the Resort Maintenance sign-off card if they saw any deformities in the steel track. Any rapid temperature changes that would cause steel warping would probably also cause Goofy's Sky School to go 101 since the steel is far more resilient than the motors and electronics. And in the one in a 200 billion chance of a derailing the probability of de-railing at the very top is extremely low due to the lower speeds at the top and the fact that the top edge portion of track composes a small portion of the ride in terms of time and track length. In addition, the Gazebo, restrooms, and trees from Paradise Garden Grill combined with the exit covering at Goofy's would help cushion the fall of any vehicle that derailed near the top edge.

Comment

Originally posted by poltergeist View Post
            But doesn't that deal with "terminal velocity" ??

The log never reaches terminal velocity, so couldn't it possibly go faster with more weight up to that point? Of course, I was only mediocre in science class, so I could be terribly wrong.
            Acceleration is the same. Momentum is the only thing that differs between a heavier log and a lighter log.
            My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report
            My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report
            My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar
            My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report
            Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
            World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
            My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
            My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
            My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
            My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
            My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
            My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
            My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
            My October, 2011 Trip Report
            My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Space Mountain has always sort of freaked me out. Knowing how low the clearance is for the track above, I am always ducking my head just in case.
              Come Along, Pond!
              :mob:

Comment

ORGOCH: I don't ride the rides at Dizzyland er Walt Dizzy Whirl. I just goes there ta ketch frogs. What makes ME feel unsafe is all the out a control brats they got runnin' 'round ta trip up an old gal like me--an' it's happened lots a times by now. Then ya gotta watch our fer them dang strollers that nobody seems to know how ta push 'em. Plus ya gotta watch out fer folks that don't know nothin' 'bout personal space bumpin inta ya. Then ya gotta be careful--

ORWEN: --Some nasty old biddies should just stay home and leave the theme parks to those who know how to deal with them, don't you think, ducklings?

Comment

Since they Skyway left? Yes. )

I got a little concerned for my son on Autopia. Since he doesn't really steer, we end up crashing hard into the guide rail a lot. His neck was whipping around really roughly. Since that time, though, I've taught him to hold himself upright better. (Since banging into the guide rail is pretty unavoidable.)
                  "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

Comment

Simple answer is yes and that goes for any ride anywhere. Even the fairs. I fear for other drivers on the freeways more. These people don't pay attention!!!
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

Cant say I've ever felt unsafe about a ride at Disneyland.
                      There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                      -Dr. Strange

Comment

I never feel safe on Goofy flight school. The fear is compounded by my 6'5 body not fitting into the attraction vehicle. Every time we whip around the curves on the top deck the fear surfaces, "This is the time I am going to go flying off." It just takes one ride to feel that discomfort all over again. But now that I know that Disney imagneers have created a runaway flying car that will land wheels first on the the Gazebo, restrooms, and trees from Paradise Garden Grill combined with the exit covering at Goofy's would help cushion the fall of any vehicle that derailed near the top edge.

Not in jest, my retirement plans were to travel Greyhound to Disneyland. Those plans are now scary and not going to do that!!!!!!

Comment

Disney rides are the best, I feel completely safe. 6 Flags rides... Not so much.
                          Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

Comment

The only time I felt some anxiety on a ride in DL was on BTMRR, when it reopened following the death of a 22-yr old rider in 2003. It felt kind of creepy to be riding on an attraction that had recently killed a guest. I got over it after a couple of rides, but the first time back felt a little strange.

Comment

Originally posted by laferney Road kid View Post
                              I never feel safe on Goofy flight school. The fear is compounded by my 6'5 body not fitting into the attraction vehicle. Every time we whip around the curves on the top deck the fear surfaces, "This is the time I am going to go flying off." It just takes one ride to feel that discomfort all over again. But now that I know that Disney imagneers have created a runaway flying car that will land wheels first on the the Gazebo, restrooms, and trees from Paradise Garden Grill combined with the exit covering at Goofy's would help cushion the fall of any vehicle that derailed near the top edge.

Not in jest, my retirement plans were to travel Greyhound to Disneyland. Those plans are now scary and not going to do that!!!!!!
                              For what it's worth, that "out of control, about to fly off" is part of the ride's intended experience. Sky School is a pretty standard Wild Mouse coaster.
                              Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

The whole idea of any amusement park thrill ride is to be safe but not feel safe.

Are Disney rides safe? Since you are about 1000 times more likely to be injured or killed driving to and from the park than on an attraction I believe the answer has to be yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X