Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Do you feel safe on Disney attractions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you feel safe on Disney attractions?

Space Mountain has always sort of freaked me out. Knowing how low the clearance is for the track above, I am always ducking my head just in case.
    Come Along, Pond!
    :mob:

Comment

ORGOCH: I don't ride the rides at Dizzyland er Walt Dizzy Whirl. I just goes there ta ketch frogs. What makes ME feel unsafe is all the out a control brats they got runnin' 'round ta trip up an old gal like me--an' it's happened lots a times by now. Then ya gotta watch our fer them dang strollers that nobody seems to know how ta push 'em. Plus ya gotta watch out fer folks that don't know nothin' 'bout personal space bumpin inta ya. Then ya gotta be careful--

ORWEN: --Some nasty old biddies should just stay home and leave the theme parks to those who know how to deal with them, don't you think, ducklings?

Comment

Since they Skyway left? Yes. )

I got a little concerned for my son on Autopia. Since he doesn't really steer, we end up crashing hard into the guide rail a lot. His neck was whipping around really roughly. Since that time, though, I've taught him to hold himself upright better. (Since banging into the guide rail is pretty unavoidable.)
        "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

Comment

Simple answer is yes and that goes for any ride anywhere. Even the fairs. I fear for other drivers on the freeways more. These people don't pay attention!!!
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

Cant say I've ever felt unsafe about a ride at Disneyland.
            There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
            -Dr. Strange

Comment

I never feel safe on Goofy flight school. The fear is compounded by my 6'5 body not fitting into the attraction vehicle. Every time we whip around the curves on the top deck the fear surfaces, "This is the time I am going to go flying off." It just takes one ride to feel that discomfort all over again. But now that I know that Disney imagneers have created a runaway flying car that will land wheels first on the the Gazebo, restrooms, and trees from Paradise Garden Grill combined with the exit covering at Goofy's would help cushion the fall of any vehicle that derailed near the top edge.

Not in jest, my retirement plans were to travel Greyhound to Disneyland. Those plans are now scary and not going to do that!!!!!!

Comment

Disney rides are the best, I feel completely safe. 6 Flags rides... Not so much.
                Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

Comment

The only time I felt some anxiety on a ride in DL was on BTMRR, when it reopened following the death of a 22-yr old rider in 2003. It felt kind of creepy to be riding on an attraction that had recently killed a guest. I got over it after a couple of rides, but the first time back felt a little strange.

Comment

Originally posted by laferney Road kid View Post
                    I never feel safe on Goofy flight school. The fear is compounded by my 6'5 body not fitting into the attraction vehicle. Every time we whip around the curves on the top deck the fear surfaces, "This is the time I am going to go flying off." It just takes one ride to feel that discomfort all over again. But now that I know that Disney imagneers have created a runaway flying car that will land wheels first on the the Gazebo, restrooms, and trees from Paradise Garden Grill combined with the exit covering at Goofy's would help cushion the fall of any vehicle that derailed near the top edge.

Not in jest, my retirement plans were to travel Greyhound to Disneyland. Those plans are now scary and not going to do that!!!!!!
                    For what it's worth, that "out of control, about to fly off" is part of the ride's intended experience. Sky School is a pretty standard Wild Mouse coaster.
                    Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

The whole idea of any amusement park thrill ride is to be safe but not feel safe.

Are Disney rides safe? Since you are about 1000 times more likely to be injured or killed driving to and from the park than on an attraction I believe the answer has to be yes.

Comment

I get scared on lift hills of any coaster, Disney's included (Thunder Mountain and California Screamin' in particular come to mind). But that's more of a personal phobia than a legitimate concern for the safety of the ride. Also, swing rides like the Silly Symphony Swings freak me out. Have always been afraid of the chain breaking somehow and the swing flying off into the water or over the cement (again, a quirky personal phobia). However, I feel safer on Silly Symphony Swings than any equivalent swing ride at other parks for some reason and do enjoy them a lot (unlike, say, the swings at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk which only manage to terrify me).

This conversation reminds me of all the things I used to be scared of at Disneyland as a little kid--thinking the cannons on POTC were real and that they might hit the boats, being afraid of plunging into lava on IJA, refusing to take the driver's seat on Toad because I was convinced that you actually controlled the vehicle and didn't want to crash into the train (dido for Indy). Those were the days that I legitimately feared for my safety.

Comment

I feel safer at Disneyland than I do at the local fair, although I go on that one too.

Comment

Your safety is much more questionable on the 5, than anywhere inside the park. LOL!
                            Favorite DL Ride: Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion
                            Favorite DLCA Ride: Radiator Springs Racers
                            Last Disneyland Trip: March 2015
                            Next Disneyland Trip: January 2016?

Comment

The swinging gondolas on Mickey's Fun Wheel always make me think I'm going to fall out of my seat and suffer some sort of minor injury. It's not enough to keep me from ever going on it; but it's enough that I prefer the stationary ones significantly more.
                              And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain quietly seated at all times and stop taking flash pictures, you moron.

Comment

Originally posted by laferney Road kid View Post

I actually agree about Goofy's Sky School. I had forgotten about that one. The cramped ride vehicles don't really make me feel unsafe, but the rapid sharp turns do. I remember the last time I rode it I felt like I was going to fall out or that the car was going to derail on the turns. That's why I don't ride it anymore.
                                Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

I feel perfectly safe. The only ride I felt less than 'perfectly' safe was Goofy's Sky School. But that's due to me, not Disney.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Yup. Never a doubt about ride safety at Disneyland. Those rides get checked far more often than your own car does for safety. You have a higher chance of falling down your own stairs than getting hurt on a theme park attraction.

But they make big splashy news stories so they get reported when they happen.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

The only time I ever felt unsafe on a ride at DLR was (as others have mentioned) because of me, not the ride. A while back I had a minor concussion. I had been symptom free for I think at least a week before I went to Disneyland. I figured I'd be fine. Mostly, I was. But at a certain point, I think I was on Screamin' and realized it was probably a very bad idea to go back to the park quite so soon. But again, the feeling wasn't that the ride itself was unsafe, just that I'd made an incredibly poor decision to ride it at the time and was worried I was damaging my health. Scary experience.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                                        Acceleration is the same. Momentum is the only thing that differs between a heavier log and a lighter log.
                                        Yes, whoever, you are absolutely correct! ...However, when we consider the effects of air resistance in a real world environment, mass does affect acceleration. Here's why:

Warning: Physics below!

Example 1: Free-Falling Object
                                        If we were to look at an object free-falling, only 2 forces act on the object: (1) gravity downwards and (2) drag upwards. Using Newton's Second Law of Motion, we get the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	7356314

The equation for the force due to drag is:

Name:	02.png
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	7356315

where, rho is density, v is velocity, C is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross sectional area.

The equation for the force due to gravity is:

Name:	03.png
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	7356316

where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Therefore, when we plug them into our original equation, we get:

Name:	04.png
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	7356317

When we divide both sides of the equation by m, we get:

Name:	05.png
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	7356318

So, an object with more mass would accelerate faster than an object with less mass. We can also see that by setting a = 0, we can derive the equation for terminal velocity:

Name:	06.png
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	7356319

where an object with greater mass would have a higher terminal velocity than an object with less mass.

Example 2: Object Going Down A Slope
                                        What if we were to consider an object going down a slope? There will now be 2 additional forces added to the mix! The relevant forces would be: (1) gravity downwards, (2) a force from the slope pushing up on the object (force normal), (3) drag force, and (4) friction.

I'm going to skip some steps here but the process is still the same as before when we apply Newton's Second Law of Motion.

In the end, we get the following equation for acceleration:

Name:	07.png
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	7356320

where mu = friction coefficient, theta = angle of the slope, and the rest I've already described above somewhere.

Again, we see that the mass of the object still matters in the determination of the acceleration.

If we really wanted to get technical, we could talk about the internal friction of the bearings, buoyancy of the log, and other forces, but even at the simplest levels, we can see the role that mass has in determining the acceleration...

TL;DR: In a vacuum, mass does not matter when determining the acceleration but in the real world, it does.

Comment

I love science, I love disneyland. Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                          X