Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Disneyland half marathon weekend!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Disneyland half marathon weekend!

i got the email yesterday that the official race weekend guide is available, and it has me all kinds of excited. i'm signed up for the dumbo double dare challenge, although it will be my first half marathon; i just couldn't pass up the opportunity to run through the parks twice in one weekend!

anybody else doing a race at disneyland next month? or how about previous participants; any advice for this newbie?

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Re: disneyland half marathon weekend!

no advice, as i've never done it, but always wanted to! love your excitement, though!

Comment

How exciting! I've never done a half marathon either but I'm signed up for the Avengers and Star Wars half marathon that are coming up soon! I can't wait to finally do them! I just completed my first 10K a few weeks ago and learned quite a bit from it.

For example, don't get too excited at the beginning of the race! Because of all the excitement at the beginning of the race, I found myself starting off WAY faster than my normal pace. All that adrenaline and excitement made me want to just take off as soon as the race began and because of that, I wasted a lot of energy that I could've used later in the race.

Another tip I can give you is run at your own pace! There's something about other people running around you that makes you want to keep up with them, which then makes you run at a pace you aren't used to. I found myself doing that during my 10K. I also tended to run a little faster when people started passing me too because I felt like I had to keep up with them. Just ignore all the distractions and just concentrate on your own run!

I hope those tips helped! Good luck on your race! Let us know how your Disneyland Half Marathon goes! And share any tips with us as well!
      My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Do you run 1/2 marathons regularly? ie Do you know race etiquette? While it is a run through DIsneyland and DCA, it is a "race" for the majority of runners in the 10K and 1/2. My kids run the DIsney races (last 3 years) and have a good time. They are not "runners" in the normal sense of the word, they train to run for Disney.

Run your race. Enjoy the time. There are a lot of cheerleaders, enjoy the cheering. If you are good for time, take advantage of the character ops!
        If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

The Disneyland Half Marathon was my first half back in 2010. As far as advice - maybe don't try to shoot for a specific time? There are so many people (including groups of 5 standing side-by-side with arms linked as they walk), that you will run into a lot of bottlenecks. And if you want to take photos, obviously that is going to slow you down.

Also, they tell you to get there and into your corral so early. If this is your first, I'm assuming you're starting near the back? It can take 30 minutes for you to get up to the starting line after the official start - so why would you get there super early? It's not Black Friday; nobody is going to steal your spot. I stood there in the dark for an hour that first year - I would have preferred some more sleep.

Have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
            Do you know race etiquette?
            Race etiquette? As a first time half marathon runner, I would like to know these etiquettes! I don't want to go and make people mad on my first half marathon! D:
            My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Would you want the person in front of you to stop unexpectedly in the middle of the road without warning, to throw away trash or water so they hit you, to stand in front of a table full of water so that you can't get any? Just remember the Golden Rule and think about how your actions may affect others. It may be helpful to think about situations you may run into on race day and how you will deal with them ahead of time (e.g., What do I do if my shoelace gets untied?, What do I do if I get a cramp? What do I do if someone else decides to stop directly in front of me?) - it will be good just for peace of mind and planning for yourself, but will also help prevent you from upsetting some of the more competitive around you.

Comment

Basically, what Cookie said... Slower runners keep to the right, left side is for passing, don't run abreast if you are in a group, if you are passing, call out "On the left" (or right if people unaware of the "rules" are walking to the left) so people know, slowing for water, don't stop at the table, move along so others can get in and out too.... AND, if you need to stop, signal (Raise you hand and announce, and move right) you are going to stop so the people running behind you don't run into you.
                If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
                  How exciting! I've never done a half marathon either but I'm signed up for the Avengers and Star Wars half marathon that are coming up soon!
                  they have such fun races don't they? i have to fly in for them, so i'm limiting myself to just the disneyland half, but if i were closer i definitely would have tried to sign up for the star wars half.

Do you run 1/2 marathons regularly? ie Do you know race etiquette? While it is a run through DIsneyland and DCA, it is a "race" for the majority of runners in the 10K and 1/2. My kids run the DIsney races (last 3 years) and have a good time. They are not "runners" in the normal sense of the word, they train to run for Disney.

Run your race. Enjoy the time. There are a lot of cheerleaders, enjoy the cheering. If you are good for time, take advantage of the character ops!
                  i don't run half marathons regularly, but i do race regularly, so i'm pretty familiar with etiquette. i've read some blogs about the disney races, and i'm prepared to deal with people walking in a line and having to weave, but hopefully it won't be me who is the one causing weaving! i do plan to enjoy it all though!

Originally posted by Cookie Boat View Post
                  The Disneyland Half Marathon was my first half back in 2010. As far as advice - maybe don't try to shoot for a specific time? There are so many people (including groups of 5 standing side-by-side with arms linked as they walk), that you will run into a lot of bottlenecks. And if you want to take photos, obviously that is going to slow you down.

Also, they tell you to get there and into your corral so early. If this is your first, I'm assuming you're starting near the back? It can take 30 minutes for you to get up to the starting line after the official start - so why would you get there super early? It's not Black Friday; nobody is going to steal your spot. I stood there in the dark for an hour that first year - I would have preferred some more sleep.

Have a great time!
                  thanks for the advice! i definitely think with the crowding i'll have to shoot for my goal time at a later half marathon, and just be thrilled if i can achieve it at disney. i've submitted my 10k time, so hopefully that will put me in a higher corral, but if not, i'll definitely take your advice and not stress out trying to get there super early.

thanks everyone!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Comment

Some tips:

Make sure you keep hydrated and get plenty of sleep the night before the race. The last couple of years it has been very warm during the race.

If you are driving to the start line (and parking in Mickey and Friends) make sure to give yourself enough time to drive, park, and walk to the start line. A lot of people will show up at the same time so there will be long lines of cars to get into the structure.

As previously brought up, run at YOUR pace. I too have been guilty of running too fast at the beginning of the race only to tire out near the end. If this is your first half marathon your goal shouldn't be to beat a certain person or a time, it should be to finish the race. Though make sure you keep with the minimum 16 minute per mile pace. That time doesn't start until the last person in the final corral crosses the Start Line (not including late starters).

Most importantly...HAVE FUN! This first 4 miles of the race (while in the Parks) are awesome! Take pics and gain memories
                    I actually heard this said by a CM over the loud speakers at Big Thunder in 1995, "Please do not sit on the rocks. You will fall...and you will die."

Comment

Run at your pace. I always look over my shoulder if I'm stopping and try not to cut people off. I run SLOW so I stay to the right. I notice it's kids who tend to mess with the sides. On a down hill tract backstage of the 10K there was a probably 12 year old that decided to blaze full on by on my right side between me and the wall. Fortunately I looked over my shoulder before reaching in my pocket (sticking my elbow out) or I would've clothes lined that kid. The kid was so close his clothes brushed mine.

My only thing is just to keep moving forward. Since you're a regular Disneyland-er you know where to stop for a bathroom break and where you are going to end up in a long line in the parks.
                      Last edited by MickeyDogMom; 07-14-2014, 07:56 PM. Reason: Oops
                      The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

Comment

Would you want the person in front of you to stop unexpectedly in the middle of the road without warning, to throw away trash or water so they hit you, to stand in front of a table full of water so that you can't get any? Just remember the Golden Rule and think about how your actions may affect others. It may be helpful to think about situations you may run into on race day and how you will deal with them ahead of time (e.g., What do I do if my shoelace gets untied?, What do I do if I get a cramp? What do I do if someone else decides to stop directly in front of me?) - it will be good just for peace of mind and planning for yourself, but will also help prevent you from upsetting some of the more competitive around you.
                        Basically, what Cookie said... Slower runners keep to the right, left side is for passing, don't run abreast if you are in a group, if you are passing, call out "On the left" (or right if people unaware of the "rules" are walking to the left) so people know, slowing for water, don't stop at the table, move along so others can get in and out too.... AND, if you need to stop, signal (Raise you hand and announce, and move right) you are going to stop so the people running behind you don't run into you.
                        These are good to know! Most of these do seem like common sense (i.e. slower runners to the right), but others I've never thought about! If there's a time during my run where I need to make a stop, I'll definitely be aware of my surroundings before I make my stop. Thanks everyone!
                        My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Re: Disneyland half marathon weekend!

One more thing: try to stop for the character photos. You could motor through and get a good time, but you're paying for a Disneyland race...take advantage of that! Of course, this gets tricky when you're trying to keep the 16 minute/mile pace, but still, don't miss it.
                          Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

If you need to stop, signal (Raise you hand and announce, and move right) you are going to stop so the people running behind you don't run into you.
                            This is most important. After X number of miles you don't want to get thrown out of your groove by having someone come to a complete halt in front of you.

THIS! I ran the full at WDW this year for the first time and it took 70 minutes for us to actually start from the official race time! Plus, they set off fireworks as every group started which was exciting maybe 3-4 times. The other 10 times they did it seemed repetitive! When I ran the full LA everyone was over the line in 10-15 minutes. Have no idea why Disney takes so much longer (Well, actually I do: fireworks).

Though because its your first and you're excited you'll probably be there early anyway. have fun!
                            Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

Re: Disneyland half marathon weekend!

IMHO the important thing about starting early is that it gives you a cushion ahead of the sweepers. From what I know, that 16 min/mile pace starts from the time the last person crosses the start line. If you're in corral B, you're going to have a lot of extra time, because that last person might be starting up to an hour after you. So you can stop, take photos with characters, enjoy the surroundings, etc. If you're in corral M you're going to be a lot closer to that last person, you're not going to have the same cushion of time to enjoy the race and you're going to have to hustle more.

In the 5K the sweepers never seem to appear but I heard some awful stories about runners who got involuntarily picked up by them at the Tinker Bell 10K this year.
                              Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X