Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What was your favorite new attraction offering at Disneyland in the 1960s

I know many of us are not old enough to remember the 60's or were even born then for that matter but regardless, the 60s was a great decade for Disneyland. So many new revolutionary additions were underway and have paved the way for Disneyland and still do to this day. What additions were your favorite?

The first audio animatronic attraction ever: Walt DIsneys Enchanted tiki Room

The New York Worlds Fair additions

The New 1967 Tomorrowland

New Orleans Square along with POTC and Haunted Mansion

What was your favorite addition?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Re: What was your favorite new attraction offering at Disneyland in the 1960s

Yes.

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

It would have to be New York fair, the dinos. marx toys had come out with a play set so they were gaining some popularity in the 60s, maybe from the fair. But not as hot as they were a decade ago.

See, the grand canyon was my natural history museum. Up close, animals that I had seen on TV and colored photos in books. Not far away like on the mine train. But there, behind the glass were real animals, in a real place and music in the background, music of no real importance, but none the less a very orchestrated environment. then came the dinos, I knew not their names and really couldn't relate, and the noise???. But they were moving, and it looked all so real. I was kind of bewildered. The grand canyon didn't move but these additions did. Departed the train and purchased postcards of the dinos.

Comment

Well, my first visit was in 1968 when I was two months from my fifth birthday. I remember the visit, vividly. The one place that stands out was the full-out awesomeness of Tomorrowland, especially Adventure Thru Inner Space (it actually caused nightmares, but I'll never forget it, LOL). Back then, Tomorrowland WAS the destination, as others have pointed out. Of course, I never experienced the original Tomorrowland and didn't even know it had been remodeled until I looked at old pictures.

Comment

Pretty much every thing they did in that decade was top-notch, but I would choose Mine Train thru Nature’s Wonderland as my favorite, along with Adventure thru Inner Space and of course Pirates and the Haunted Mansion.

Comment

I honestly can't choose between TL67 and NOS/POTC/HM. Both top notch.
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

All of these opened or expanded during the 1960s:

Catfish Cove (fishing on TSI) - January 1960
              The Art of Animation - May 28, 1960
              Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland - May 28, 1960
              America the Beautiful film - June 1960
              Pack Mules thru Nature's Wonderland - June 10, 1960
              Skull Rock and Pirate’s Cove - December 1960
              Mark II monorails and extension of monorail track to Disneyland Hotel - 1961
              Snow White and the Seven Dwarves Grotto - March 27, 1961
              Flying Saucers - August 6, 1961
              Babes in Toyland exhibit - December 17, 1961
              Jungle Cruise elephants added - 1962
              Indian Village expanded, reopened 1962
              Swiss Family Treehouse - January 17, 1962
              Tahitian Terrace - June 1962
              Big Game Safari Shooting Gallery - June 1962
              Enchanted Tiki Room - June 23, 1963
              Mickey Mouse Club Headquarters - June 1963
              Papotin’s Revue - puppet show requiring E ticket - 1963
              Jungle Cruise safari & veldt added - 1964
              Tomorrowland Jets (formerly Astro-Jets) - August 1964
              Autopia remodeled 1964
              Sailing Ship Columbia below decks museum - February 12, 1964
              Fashion and Fabrics through the Ages - 1965
              Submarine Voyage mermaids added - 1965
              Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - July 18, 1965
              “it’s a small world” - May 28, 1966
              Disneyland Railroad Primeval World added - July 1, 1966
              New Orleans Square opened - July 24, 1966
              Pirates of the Caribbean flume filled with water - October 31, 1966
              Tomorrowland Stage - January 1967
              Pirates Arcade Museum - February 1967
              Pirates of the Caribbean and Blue Bayou restaurant - March 18, 1967
              Club 33 - June 15, 1967
              General Electric Carousel of Progress - July 2, 1967
              PeopleMover - July 2, 1967
              Rocket Jets - July 2, 1967
              Tomorrowland Terrace - July 2, 1967
              Adventure thru Inner Space - August 5, 1967
              Flight to the Moon - August 12, 1967
              Alpine Gardens - December 1967
              Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through expanded - 1968
              Autopia remodeled - 1968
              Mark III monorails - 1968
              Haunted Mansion - 1969

Comment

It's too hard to pick one favorite ....

I love the Tiki Room, HM, PotC, TL67, IASW .. all equally .. they are all stellar.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be in Yesterland?

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

My smart alec answer would be everything at 1313 Harbor Blvd. But if I had to narrow it down, I'd say the development of Audio Animatronics, since that's had the biggest impact on Disneyland over the years, in the most positive way.
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Haunted Mansion

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        Pretty much every thing they did in that decade was top-notch, but I would choose Mine Train thru Nature’s Wonderland as my favorite, along with Adventure thru Inner Space and of course Pirates and the Haunted Mansion.
                        I second that ;-)

Pirates and Mansion... leaving Pirates last weekend, we reminisced standing in line for hours when it opened, and were amazed by it then and still, it is an amazing creation

I miss the old Natures Wonderland, was quoting to friends, the cactus... start to take on human features (something like that) no one else remembered that attraction....

we saw Small World at the worlds fair, visiting family
                        wow... was that a long time ago......

Comment

There are many photos of the cactus at http://davelandweb.com/nw/
                          The Mine Train thru Nature’s Wonderland was the attraction that “sold me” on Disneyland. It was like you suddenly were in various national parks, completely removed from city and civilization.

Comment

Wasn't born that decade but familiar with a lot of those attractions. Hard to decide. Maybe Pirates first, then COP - though I've only seen a WDW updated version. Peoplemover, Inner Space, and HM up there too.
                            Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X