This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Stroller locks?

Yes, I'm entering the dark side and bringing my baby and stroller into the parks for Dapper Day.

That being said, please leave all stroller debate out of this thread.

I'm seeking insight/advice/information on stroller locks. The stroller we are bringing is expensive (with a 9 month old, we want to use our stroller that will allow her to lay flat for naps, she isn't quite ready for an umbrella stroller). We plan to park it and ride rides as a family, and I have read several stories of strollers being stolen. I bought a cable bike lock to deter theft, and plan to park it in the designated areas and reclaim it as soon as we are done with rides. Has anyone else done this? Are there any rules against it? I don't think I'll lock it against a wall, just lock the wheels together, so if it absolutely needs to be moved it can be lifted.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Re: Stroller locks?

Never locked ours, and we have a $400 model Peg Perego. Heck, its been used on three Disney trips I think now, and we did have to replace some parts after we folded flat and let the girls stand in it for WOC. It will go again in October.

Probably not a bad idea, but seems like a PITA. Surprised the manf haven't figures out a quick way to lock all four wheels by now.

It even fits kids up to 4 for a quick sleep on the go...

Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
    World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
    My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
    My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
    My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
    My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
    My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
    My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
    My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
    My October, 2011 Trip Report
    My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Ours is a Phil and Teds. Converts to a double, etc, with jogger style wheels. I love that thing!

It'll probably be a pain, but I don't plan to park it too often. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but we have awful luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
        Ours is a Phil and Teds. Converts to a double, etc, with jogger style wheels. I love that thing!

It'll probably be a pain, but I don't plan to park it too often. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but we have awful luck.
        We had a double at one point... it was horrible... I would never recommend one.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
          We had a double at one point... it was horrible... I would never recommend one.
          It goes front/back, not side to side. And there's like 2 or 3 different configurations you can do with it depending on age of the kids. I would never push those double-wide monsters around haha

Comment

It goes front/back, not side to side. And there's like 2 or 3 different configurations you can do with it depending on age of the kids. I would never push those double-wide monsters around haha
            Ours was front to back. We called it the limo. It was HORRIBLE. Didn't even sell it, gave it away. It would actually do 3 kids because the back had a standing position.

Comment

Hmm... I guess I'll find out once we use it for two kids. At least our's is convertible, so we're getting a ton of use out of it just as a single occupancy.

Comment

That seems nice to experiment with. It was HEAVY by itself, BEYOND heavy with kids on it, and horrible to pilot. Not sure why the wife bought it quite frankly, but it was relegated to history after a few months.

Comment

From a cast member standpoint, the lock should be fine as long as you don't lock it to anything like a railing or pole.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                    That seems nice to experiment with. It was HEAVY by itself, BEYOND heavy with kids on it, and horrible to pilot. Not sure why the wife bought it quite frankly, but it was relegated to history after a few months.
                    Our's folds flat and isn't super light but light enough I can lift it. I can push it with the one kiddo in it with one finger. The three-wheel jogging design makes it super easy to navigate. I'm sure it'll be more difficult with two kids, though!

Originally posted by PrincessTiana88 View Post
                    From a cast member standpoint, the lock should be fine as long as you don't lock it to anything like a railing or pole.
                    That's what I'm thinking, and it's the CM standpoint that I'm most concerned about. Thank you!

Comment

I've taken my niece with the stroller a ton when she was little (littler...even at 2 it's easier without it for short trips) and while it wasn't as expensive as yours it wasn't a cheap umbrella ken wither. We never had any problem with the stroller or items left in it, but I wouldn't want to deter you from a lock only to have something happen! Amazon tends to have really good reviews if you want a stroller specific lock, otherwise your plan seems like it would deter a casual thief and wouldn't add too much hassle for you, especially if you park it in the land vs moving it to each attraction
                      Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by CassiefRN View Post
                        I've taken my niece with the stroller a ton when she was little (littler...even at 2 it's easier without it for short trips) and while it wasn't as expensive as yours it wasn't a cheap umbrella ken wither. We never had any problem with the stroller or items left in it, but I wouldn't want to deter you from a lock only to have something happen! Amazon tends to have really good reviews if you want a stroller specific lock, otherwise your plan seems like it would deter a casual thief and wouldn't add too much hassle for you, especially if you park it in the land vs moving it to each attraction
                        Haha that's exactly how our luck usually is - we consider taking actions to prevent something, decide it's overkill, then it happens! I'll probably leave the diaper bag in it while we're on rides, and keep any valuable in a smaller bag we can carry with us.

Unfortunately the stroller is still a necessity at this age. I can't wait until we can go without it for trips like this!

Comment

Love the Phil and Teds strollers. My sister has 6 kids, and it made it through hers. It was much easier to maneuver than any other we had used.

That said, never had one stolen in hundreds of visits. Most times, strollers are not stolen for the stroller. They are taken for items in the stroller, moved to another area of the park, stuff stolen and stroller left. Or, they park in an area that is not "stroller parking" and the strollers are moved to where the CMs need them. Also, if you lock and a CM can't move it, they will cut the lock.

Put something on the stroller (balloon, ties, decoration) that makes yours stand out. Don't leave ANYTHING in the stroller, even something that you don't think looks inticing. They look and see a diaper bag, and figure you might be hiding a camera in it, and take the stroller form NOS to Tomorrowland so they can look in peace. When you park your stroller, take a minute to move your stroller deep in the pile of strollers. It may be harder to park and get out, but it also is harder for others.
                          If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                            Love the Phil and Teds strollers. My sister has 6 kids, and it made it through hers. It was much easier to maneuver than any other we had used.

That said, never had one stolen in hundreds of visits. Most times, strollers are not stolen for the stroller. They are taken for items in the stroller, moved to another area of the park, stuff stolen and stroller left. Or, they park in an area that is not "stroller parking" and the strollers are moved to where the CMs need them. Also, if you lock and a CM can't move it, they will cut the lock.

Put something on the stroller (balloon, ties, decoration) that makes yours stand out. Don't leave ANYTHING in the stroller, even something that you don't think looks inticing. They look and see a diaper bag, and figure you might be hiding a camera in it, and take the stroller form NOS to Tomorrowland so they can look in peace. When you park your stroller, take a minute to move your stroller deep in the pile of strollers. It may be harder to park and get out, but it also is harder for others.
                            That's great advice. Maybe if I decorate it obnoxiously enough, no one will even consider taking it. Plus, I've always wanted to buy a Mickey balloon - this gives me a great excuse!

Staying on site, I'm planning to consolidate the amount we normally carry with us into a smaller bag, so taking it with us shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Now to find a vintage-looking large purse...

Comment

Stroller theft is extremely rare. Or so I have heard. You are for more likely to lose any personal belongings in the stroller than the stroller itself. I could see the Disney-issued ones being more at risk since they all look alike, but I have never had any issues when we took our personal, expensive double stroller.

As far as locking it, that's totally up to you. As I stated, I've never had any issues. I would call the hotline first if it were me.

I would like to point out that there was one occasion when we left it parked in the designated area near Indy and had lunch. While we were gone a CM rearranged the entire parking zone and my stroller was in a completely different spot surrounded by different strollers. The CM responsible apologized for the fact that a drink from one of the other strollers fell into my stroller and spilled all over the stroller when he bumped my stroller into it. It also ruined all 4 of my kids' Ear Hats because it was a red drink. They replaced all of the hats and also gave us a refund for the meal we ate while we had the stroller parked.

Back on topic.... The only real issue I could see with a lock is that it would prevent CM's from moving the stroller for an emergency, spacing issues, etc. That may cause other issues that I can't think of right now.
                              "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X