Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was in the North area of Disneyland before Toontown?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What was in the North area of Disneyland before Toontown?

Hi All,

I just had a question. I was just wondering what existed in the area that is now Toontown before that area was built. Does anyone have any pictures of what it looked like? Thanks!

Re: What was in the North area of Disneyland before Toontown?

I believe that was the staging area for the fireworks pre-Toon Town.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

It was still an orange grove when Disneyland opened in the 1950s. By 1965 (last photo) the orange trees had been cleared away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	7356665

Name:	1955color.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7356666

Name:	1965.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	7356667

Comment

I don't think there was anything beyond the railroad tracks besides backstage buildings and access roads.
        "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Comment

I remember it being a bunch of trees. Very wooded and quite nice to look at actually.

Comment

When Disneyland first opened the Storybookland Canal was the back of the park. Small World was added after the 1964 World's Fair, and that became the back of the park. Toontown was added in 1992(?) and became the current back of the park. But behind Toontown is TDA, basically a huge office building. Behind Small World/Autopia is the round house for both the Monorail and the trains. (You can see it if you take a ride on the train.) Also, the 5 freeway literally touches the back of Disneyland, so they can't extend the park any further if the wanted to.

Comment

Here are some good before and after shots, though none in the era right before TT was built:

Aerial images chart how Disneyland has changed over the past 60 years | Mail Online

Comment

Found one from 1985. It's a small pic, but you can tell it was just buildings behind the scenes. This is from dldhistory.com.

Comment

Wasn't it mainly backstage Storage and the Circle D Coral for the horses (which is still there if I'm not mistaken, not sure if it's been slightly relocated)?
                  "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                  "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Then where was Videopolis located? I 'm thinking either where Mickey and the Magical Map currently is showing, or in the TT area.

Comment

I always wondered what the end of the park looked like, next to Small World, before TT was built. I can't imagine the area where Toontown's entrance is currently - did the train run over a berm, instead of being a bridge like it is today? I can't picture it.

Comment

I vaguely remember before Toon town and the train ran on a berm. The first time I visited Toontown, the bridge fascinated me for some reason. One thing I remember about the area was just the huge amount of concrete around IASW.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

wasnt disney afternoon was somewhere around that area?
                          My Art site
                          http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/

Comment

The "official" story of Toontown's history...
                            The Magic of Disney Parks Storytelling: Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland Park « Disney Parks Blog

Comment

Originally posted by johnnylv View Post
                              Then where was Videopolis located? I 'm thinking either where Mickey and the Magical Map currently is showing, or in the TT area.
                              The former.
                              Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X