This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] The Return of the SoCal APs

Monday August 18th the blockout period ends and So Cal APs will once again be able to visit the parks.
    Of course, whether you think this is a good thing or not will depend on whether you have a SoCal pass.

Having visited the parks during this summer's blockout periods, I've seen some noticeable variations in the population at the parks. Parks have still been crowded, but it's interesting to see the difference in the crowds from the non-blockout periods.
    Although no one is wearing a label saying whether they are out of towners, local one day visitors, AP holders ... sometimes it's still pretty obvious. People who are continually looking at their maps, asking CMs about different rides - well, obviously these are visitors who are not familiar with the Parks. We've also noticed an apparent frantic evening atmosphere as many people try to fit in everything they haven't yet done in this visit (yes, you can overhear conversations in the crowd to confirm this). Rental strollers seem to be more prevalent than the huge SUVs that you see the rest of the year ...
    Come August 18th the Stroller Brigade (local Orange County housewives?) who frequent the park for part of the day and leave by around 2:30- 3:00 PM will be back. The Social Clubs will be back in numbers, instead of the few isolated members who you may see wearing their colors during the Summer.
    People who love "their" Parks and have sorely missed it for a few months will be happily returning, but summer vacationers will not have left yet...
    Bet it's going to be really busy this Monday!

Re: The Return of the SoCal APs

People still have jobs to go to and the kids are in school in many areas of SoCal. I think it will impact the crowd next weekend more.

Comment

Originally posted by superlarz View Post
      People still have jobs to go to and the kids are in school in many areas of SoCal. I think it will impact the crowd next weekend more.
      Sure the weekend (Sunday 8/24 & Friday night 8/22) will be the most crowded, but I still think there will be a lot of local APs there the first day - the SBs earlier, and the SCs later after work.

Comment

Originally posted by JustCallMeVee
        My family and I crossing our fingers that the park won't be too crowded. Our first day will be Wednesday of next week which should be rather light. Attendance should go up a little on Thursday and by Friday it should be crowded but it still won't be as bad as it will be for next weekend.
        Keep in mind that the out of town vacationers will still be in the park, so it probably won't be as light as a "normal" Wednesday, but yes, the weekend will probably really be packed.
        Welcome back - enjoy!

Comment

August 18 and 19 were going to be my last days to go to Disney with my AP, but thankfully I renewed. I think I'll try going on the 19th just to see what the crowd's like and play it by ear the rest of the month.

Although, I'm pretty sure it's going to be plenty crowded, since everyone gets to come back.

Comment

Rrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Comment

I've gone on many Saturdays this summer and have noticed how many less mouse ears are being worn. I think the locals who come all the time during non blackout days, can easily justify the price, while others think it is not a one time item to purchase.

Comment

I know, I'm dreading it! My sister has a Select and we are going on Monday, her first day back...bracing myself for crowds and heat...
                Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

If everyone tells everybody how crowded it will be, then no one will go.

So, let's get to it!

i'll do my part right now:

WOW! IT'S GONNA BE CROWDED ON MONDAY!

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post

So, let's get to it!

Yes, a, please let this happen!
                    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Don't say that!! We just caved and renewed our APs (even though we swore we would not), and Monday is our first day back! I thought the hours were a little funny this week. Swampymarsh says that there is a wave of people this time of year, but that it's not such a bad experience (http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...eyland-89.html). Here's to hoping that Socal passes don't make that huge of an impact! :ap:

Comment

I said it last year in the summer how it seemed more like summer was now the off season. We would go in the evenings mostly on Fridays or Sats but even if we decided at the last minute during the week it was still the same way. So not like it was during the rest of the year. Sadly though if we decide to get our APS again though we will have to go the cheap So. Cali ones. We let them go in April since we were just to busy from March until July with sports and dance stuff going on. While I am missing the parks a ton I just am not sure on going that with the passes becasue we can't just go anytime during the week with the kids in school.
                        Oh btw, most schools around here in the OC are not in yet. High school starts last week of the month and the rest start after Labor Day so I wouldn't doubt lots there with kids if they have those passes to make the trips before school does start up. But I will be hoping those going for last minute vacations and such have a decent not to crowded time.
                        Princess Anna

Mom To
                        Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
                        &
                        Baseball Player, 2 times All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
                        &
                        Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
                        A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post

So, let's get to it!

A real Fourth of July situation! (That was the emptiest I had ever seen the park, ever.)

Socal APs really do make quite the difference though. When I had first gotten my AP around this time last year, we went while the SoCal passes were blocked off. We went the second time after they became valid again, and that visit involved huge crowds and looong lines. We asked a CM why the sudden spike in crowds, and she told us it was always like this whenever the Socal passes were valid after a long period of being blocked off. We ended up doing six things total that day and went home.

Comment

I will be going Wednesday after work, can't wait!

Comment

The combined park attendance on Monday, August 18th is 30,000 more than the combined park attendance on Saturday, August 16th. And it's all due to SoCal APs becoming unblocked after our nice, pleasant summer vacation.

Management is stressing this issue with hourly CM's in local area "Roll Calls" this past week, telling us to enjoy these pleasant days with pleasant tourists who are actually thankful for the service CM's provide. My girlfriend works in Guest Relations, and I know for a fact Guest Relations is staffing extra people beginning on Monday to deal with the mad flood of APs who will be demanding new DAS disability cards for their "autistic" children or their own personal bowel problems. (Yes, grown adult Annual Passholders will go into Guest Relations and claim they have bowel problems in order to get a DAS card.)

The lovely summer of modest crowds made up of non-APs who are genuinely impressed with the Disneyland Resort and pleased with the service CM's provide is coming to an end. August 18th the switch is flipped and the parks will become very crowded again, the parking infrastructure will become over-burdened and go crazy, and the entire vibe of the Resort will change.

But what a nice summer we had.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X