• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoever
    replied
    Re: Matt's August, 2014 Solo Trip Report.... dubbed "The Club Tour"

So here is the haul from this trip....

We'll start up top and go clockwise... New C33 bag (actually had two ), the Uh-Oa Tiki Mug, the HippopotoMai-Tai Tiki Mug, the new C33 Latte Mug, the New C33 Ears, The new C33 Keychain, all my Juju and button from the Adventureland Trading Company, A new C33 ball cap, and the Dooney and Bourke C33 cross body purse.

Close up of the new logo keychain for one of my managers...$30

New logo ball cap... $35

New logo latte mug... $20

New C33 Dooney. Royal Blue exterior, Leather C33 tag, C33 logoed red interior, tan leather strap.....$198 (yowza... if only C33 took AP discount).

And for a little bit of reference, some old vs. new C33 stuff where I have it. Let's start with the bags. Old is much more subdued. The new, is much like the club, loud, bright, and noticeable. They are definitely going for more show and flair all around.

The new cap next to the old one... Again, brighter, more textures, and writing on the back to let you know what it is if you can't see the logo on the front.

The new ears next to the old ones. Same as the other merchandise... brighter, louder, and plussed with the logoed liner vs. the plain black of the old ears. New ears...$25

The new mug next to the old one. The old one is my coffee cup at work.. use it every day I'm there. Its a matte finish, with matte gold logo. The new one, glossy finish with metallic gold logo. Another style I have of the old logo.. glossy black and matte gold logo.

The Tiki mugs I was missing from my collection of currently offered Trader Sam's Tiki mugs..Uh-Oa and HippopotoMai-Tai Tiki Mugs. And the entire collection... The Tiki Sipper, Shipwreck on the Rocks, Uh-Oa, HippopotoMai-Tai, Krakatoa Punch, and Shrunken Zombie Head.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

OK, first part of the SWAG are uploading. I'll do a separate one for the Juju... maybe even a different thread...

Gotta go get some more work done though before it gets too hot.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
    Excellent pics, Whoever! I'm no photographer but I know what I like!
    Thanks!!! I try to look for unique compositions when I can. There's always the headliners you always see pics of, but there's so much detail at Disney that even the smallest items can make very good subject material.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

Excellent pics, Whoever! I'm no photographer but I know what I like!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

I exited the theater around 17:45 and was starting to get hungry. I wandered down the back lot, briefly considered Award Weiner’s, Carthay Lounge, and even wandered through Wine Country Tratoria, but remembered that the clam chowder over at Pacific Wharf looked and smelled good and I had already blown the budget on this trip, so something a little simpler was probably the best idea. I headed over there, got a bowl of it, and devoured it. Sooo good... Completely ate my bowl's "lid" as well. To wash it down, what else but my favorite on-property beer... another Tower 10 from the Straus beer truck.

By now it was 18:15. I knew that the Cars Land lighting was going to happen about 19:40, so I had some time. I headed over to RSR at 18:40 and hopped in the SR line. It was backed up nearly under the bridge and NOT moving. I determined it would be a while, and I wasn't waiting, so hopped to the exit and made my way over to Luigi's Flying Tires. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the queue of this. Unfortunately, it moves so fast I didn't even have time to snap a pic or two of it. Maybe next time. I was on the ride in a matter of a few minutes, and was able to REALLY get that tire a moving... fun time.. better than last time I rode it. By 18:50 I was off it, and running short on time for most major attractions... I walked down to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, saw there was pretty much no line, so I jumped on it. I think it’s weight-based, because I was getting some pretty good whips going. They were short a few trailers on my platter for some reason too. Wonder what makes them take the trailers offline.

After Mater's it was time to get a drink and pick out a spot to watch the lighting from. I grabbed a vitamin water from Filmore's and staked out the bench across from Flo's all to myself. As I got to the bench, they had a street show going with some singing girls and one of the beat box cars. I watched that show till it ended, and then just sat there taking it all in. They brought Mater by not too much afterwards, and Lightening McQueen going the opposite direction immediately after that.

Around 19:40, the music started!!! The neon started lighting up coming from the courthouse and going towards Sarge's down at the other end. I had never used my DSLR as a video camera, and in fact this was my first body which had that feature, so I tried it out and videoed it. It’s a little shaky for my liking, but not bad for a first try while holding over my head. I'll get that up on YouTube in a bit and post a link. After the lighting, it was time to go. I still had to drive back to San Diego, and my legs and feet were killing me (did I mention I had a blister on the ball of my foot?).

I took my time on the way out of DCA just admiring all the Disney touches to everything. As I neared the exit, a CM asked if I would take a survey. Always glad to give my opinion, I obliged. I was taken into the Chamber of Commerce, through a door, down a hallway, and into a room with terminals set up. I took the survey, which primarily asked me about my dining experiences at DCA. After about 5 mins or so, I was done, and headed through the esplanade towards the trams. Got the car without much ado, left the property, jumped on the 5, and made it back to the condo in San Diego in a little over an hour. I had a 10:00 flight back to Phoenix the next morning, and had to clean the room/change the bedding, so it was lights out as soon as I got back.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
    It's in the picture of the souvenir case upthread, Kelly. It's pretty cute & I'm sure I'd buy one given the opportunity. But I like purses that zip or hook closed & it looks like it's just a flap over the top.
    I'll have a detailed review and pictures of it at the end of the thread when I get to the Swag from the trip portion of the report.

Wife LOVES it.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Love the Indy pics.

I'm dying to see the purse!!
    It's in the picture of the souvenir case upthread, Kelly. Post dated 8/21/14 8.54 pm, last pic. It's pretty cute & I'm sure I'd buy one given the opportunity. But I like purses that zip or hook closed & it looks like it's just a flap over the top.
    Last edited by Stormy; 08-23-2014, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

As I was wandering around the back lot I noticed the Aladdin show schedule. My interest piqued, I went over and inquired with the Cast Member how long of a show it was. I was told 45 minutes. I thought hey, this is my chance as I've never had the time to do it before. I got in queue for the Mezzanine level, and patiently waited... hot... sweating... wishing for the cool refreshing refrigerated air of an indoor queue vs. standing out in the sun with high humidity and no breeze....Finally the lines started moving, and I settled into my chair about half way up the mezzanine level next to a support column (presumably) in the middle of the theater. After a few minutes, the lights went down and the show started. Let me tell you.... this was SUCH A GREAT PRODUCTION!!!!!! I can't give it enough compliments... the effects GREAT... the Acting SUPERB... the flying carpet.... BLEW MY MIND!!!!! My only criticism is the overuse of modern pop culture references in the comedy from the genie, but that really didn't take away much of anything from the production. I'm taking the wife when we are there for Dapper Days, and we'll have to figure out how to work it in for the kids as well when we are there for our family trip in October. It’s simply a marvelous production done with the HIGH quality one expects from Disney.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

By now it was getting close to my FP return time for TOT. I headed that way, got in the FP line, and was on the ride extremely quickly. I swear the ride gets shorter and less drops every time I ride it. It is over WAYYYYY too soon. Leaving TOT at 4:18, I wandered towards the back lot just taking the details in. I really never spend any time over there, so I wanted to really soak it all in.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Originally posted by Bobbee View Post
    You have a great eye, these pictures are fantastic.
    Thanks for the kind words!

Leave a comment:

• Bobbee
    replied

You have a great eye, these pictures are fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• amanda.collishaw
    replied

Loving this report! We stay in the same hotel and we love it. I agree the beds are on the solid side, but we pass out so fast we hardly notice.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Made it to Sam's a short walk later and plunked down in the two stools next to the server station (Needed a stool for my C33 bag and backpack). Told the bartender I had found a recipe they were looking for. He took it from me, examined it closely, looked at me incredulously, and asked if I'd like him to make it for me. I said absolutely. A few minutes later a concoction of Tiki Drool, Back Side of Water, and Spider Eggs was placed in front of me. I took a sip... it was pretty good. I had earned my last piece of Juju, the Tiki. I also was awarded a pin denoting me as an Enchanted Tiki Friend.

I sipped my drink and watched the usual goings on of Uh-Oha, Krakatoa explosions, and Shipwreck on the Rocks occurring... After my Juju juice was gone, I decided to have a Mosquito Mojito as I really enjoyed the one I had a couple nights prior. I watched as more weary Adventure seekers came and went in their quest for Juju. Around 14:30, I was cooled down, refreshed, and ready to make the trek back to the Mickey and Friends Parking area to drop off some extra weight/items.

I cut through the Fantasy tower of the DLH, and walked the block or so up to the parking area. Dropped off my C33 merchandise and my HippopotoMai-Tai glass I had exchanged (the one from the previous night had a flaw in it I found when I had inspected it prior to packing that morning). That accomplished, I hopped on a tram and headed back towards the parks. I went for DCA this time, and was lucky enough to catch a Red Car Trolley boarding right as I made it through the turnstiles at 14:55.

We headed towards Tower of Terror with a few stops in between. It was a fun ride, and something I had never done before. We were told stories of the original red car line, and watched as some shows went by us over at the Hollywood back lot. I got off at the TOT, grabbed a fast pass for it, and headed through Bugs land for Cars land. I went towards RSR to try for a ride, but it was 101 when I got up to the queue at 15:20. Undaunted, I decided to check out Pacific Wharf.

I grabbed a Tower 10 from the Karl Straus Beer Truck, and headed over to the Bakery tour. What better than an IPA and some sourdough... I watched the tour info, and examined all the machinery and processes in that ever so nice refrigerated air. Once I finished the tour around 15:40, I looked at all the information on the cannery history and the fortunes and industry which were built on sardines before the rapid decline which occurred after WWII.

Leave a comment:

• Great Movie Rider
    replied

Holy crap, man. These are some of the greatest photos of Disney I've ever seen. They almost look better than it does real life.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

12:30 had me waiting at the NOS DLRR stop. Train was running pretty slow and it took a while for one to show up. Maybe they were down a train that day..I took the train around to Toon Town Station, and got off at Tomorrowland. My idea was to take the Monorail over to DTD and then have a really short walk to the DLH and Trader Sam's. I got about half way up the ramp and realized something was wrong. The line was WAY longer than it should have been. Right then a CM came on and said they were only running ONE Monorail that day, and it would be 15 minutes between trains. By the look of things it would be 3-4 trains before I could board, and I was standing in no-shade direct sun (one of Tomorrowland's downfalls). I hopped the divider to the exit lane and headed out. I knew that the train was a no-go as well as the platform to board was packed when I had left, so I had to head through Tomorrowland and down Main Street and just hoof it through DTD. I cleared the DL gates at 13:14 and made my way through DTD to the DLH.

Leave a comment:

• CassiefRN
    replied

Fantastic report! Your pictures are so amazing! I look forward to the rest!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

11:00 on the dot I'm waiting for the BBQ to open. First through, I get my Venomade and a Spicy Beef Skewer. The skewer was pretty good, and surprisingly the Venomade was tasty as well. I REALLY liked the snake eggs... I ate every last one of them through my oversized straw...Thirty minutes later, I met my host in front of C33, and grabbed that coveted C33 D&B purse for the loving wife. While I had been waiting for my host, I had been camped out front of Cafe Orleans, and had observed quite a wait of people happening... who knew it was such a popular place. After my C33 purchase, I said my farewells to my host, thanked them for a TRULY MAGICAL opportunity again, and headed down to the Cafe to put my name in for that seemingly long wait.

Being a party of one, I was seated within just a few minutes...I absolutely needed some of the Gumbo (have I mentioned how much I love both Jambalaya and Gumbo?) and I just HAD to try the Monte Cristo I'd heard so much raving about. The Gumbo was great, however I could have used a bit more of it and a little less rice especially given the cost of that tiny cup of it. The Monte Cristo arrived and my server must have really liked the fruit sauce because he brought me three cups of it (I think it’s better without, but OK with the dipping sauce). My first bite and I thought.... beignet.. that's exactly what it tasted like. Second bite I got the cheese, Ham, Turkey... Third bite... I knew I was in for a challenge. Anybody who knows me knows I'm the type of guy they kick out of buffets for eating too much and the type who bus boys love because my plate usually looks like it came out of a dishwasher at the end of my meal because it’s practically licked clean. Never met food I didn't like which is probably why I'm 30# overweight. The Monte Cristo... it bested me. I finished about 3.5 of the four squares, and I just couldn't eat any more. It was just too rich and heavy even for me. Definitely a split with the family type of thing. I paid for my food, and decided I really didn't feel like walking all the way over to Trader Sam's to get my last piece of Juju... I formulated a plan to get me both scenic experience and save me some walking... I was to be undone in this endeavor however...

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

I was not going to miss out on one of the two pieces of Juju I had yet to obtain, so I stuck close to Adventureland until the Bengal BBQ opened. A quick trip on Pirates left me at 10:30 and still more time for some fun. Given that I haven't made it over to Tom Sawyer's Island (or whatever they think they are calling it these days), I headed for the raft and jumped onboard. I went counter clockwise around the island, checking out the mill area, the pontoon bridge, former secret exit from the Fort, Settler Graveyard, and watched people come down Splash Mountain. I must say, it is a HORRIBLE shame that so much of what made TSI so great is closed. Why not open the treehouse back up... Injun Joe's Cave... The Fort...All things kids these days desperately need more than they do screens and technology... I digress.. 20 minutes later, it was getting close to 11:00, so I hopped a raft back to the mainland and headed for Adventureland to get my Venomade.

Leave a comment:

• KellyMcG86
    replied

Love the Indy pics.

I'm dying to see the purse!!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

8/16/2014 - Day 3

I awoke at 4AM with a horrible pain in my neck. In my hurry to pack, I had neglected to pack any pain killer, and since I carry a different laptop bag when I travel than I normally do for work, I had nothing. I thought it a combination of the sun, dehydration (I drank a LOT of water the night before and was still thirsty, which is never a good sign), and caffeine withdrawal. Caffeine is a dark and bitter mistress when she's ignored... I got up, and made a few cup's worth with the not-so-good coffee packet and the Anaheim tap water. It wasn't pleasant, but it sure helped. I then got cleaned up, dressed, and went down to the lobby to inquire about some aspirin. I was directed to one of the vending machines by the laundry, and for $2, I had four extra strength aspirin... I'd need all of them before the day got too far along.

I went back to the room and started packing up. I chatted with the wife and told her about some of the items I hadn't purchased the night before at C33... she expressed interest in one when I showed her the pic.... I knew right then and there that my over cautious nature had caused me to make a big mistake on what I neglected to buy. For those wondering, the night before I had picked up a new logo C33 ball cap. My current one is showing its age, and desperately needed a backup/replacement. I grabbed a set of ears as well...I've got a set with the old logo, so the new ones were a must... I really like how they plussed them as well... the old ones were pretty non-descript, but the new ones had a great liner, were colorful, and just an all-around plussing. I grabbed a keychain as well. The gal who manages my PMs is a huge Disney fan and while she has been to C33, doesn't have anything on the horizon to go in the near term, so I told her I'd grab her a keychain for all her good work she does for me with the San Diego team. I also grabbed a Latte Mug. I've got the same mug in a different finish, with the old logo which I drink out of daily at work, so this will be a great compliment to that.

Now... there were a few things I had wanted, and just couldn't bring myself to buy. The Diamond Martini glass being one, the cordial glass (shot glass for the less couth of us out there), and the Dooney and Burke C33 purse. I'm sure some of you can see where this is going... Yep... I had to go back and get the C33 purse... but would I be able to?????? A quick contact with my host, and YES!!! I would be allowed to go back in and grab the purse... Heavens rejoice I'm saved from eternal regret over not grabbing it for the wife (she deserved it for being alone with our three overactive daughters while I was in San Diego for work and Disneyland for leisure).

I finished packing up, and started lugging all my stuff down to the car. A little bit on the hotel. It was clean enough, had cold AC, and a decent improvement over the last off-site I had stayed at (Super8). I heard a funny anecdote over my stay about the hotel though, and I can indeed say its true. The only thing softer than the beds were the floors... I don't know if the hotel was ill-engineered, has termite or water damage, but the floors were seriously soft. I hope whomever was in the room below me wasn't disturbed when I got home after 1AM my first night or when I got up at 4AM that day. I got all the stuff in, hopped in the car and headed North on Harbor. I hit the Shell on the corner of Ball and Harbor and grabbed a few Gatorades and a cliff bar. I wasn't going to have a repeat of the dehydration from yesterday. Continuing down Ball, I made my way over to Disneyland Drive and headed into the Mickey and Friends parking structure at 07:30.

There was a bit of lane jockeying in the lines as they were opening and closing booths randomly. A little while later I was through, and instead of them directing us up to the roof like last time, they motioned us out to the open ground level parking lot by where the trams run. Great improvement no matter the reason why. Hopped on a tram and by 07:55 I was through bag check.

Park opening and rope drop went much like yesterday only I went my usual left towards Adventureland. By 09:15, I was already on and off BTMRR. I inquired at the Twain Dock about wheelhouse rides, and they informed me they were doing training today and that there would be no wheelhouse rides offered for the day... BUMMER... skunked again... will I ever get to experience that???

Changing it up a bit, I headed for Indy, and went through the normal queue (I never do this, so it was great to see some of the lower queue I never get to see). In the middle of our ride, just before the dart room, Indy went 101 at 09:45. We were stuck there for oh, 5-10 minutes, and I could clearly see how the ride was constructed and the backstage elements off behind us to our left as they were lit up for potential emergency exit. Snapped a few pics (still sans flash) for my own posterity. They eventually started the ride back up, and we were allowed to give it another go for the inconvenience... yay.. two in a row on Indy. There was some additional issues right as we were pulling into the station at the end of the second ride, but they got us in, and off the ride vehicle. Walked out of the queue at 10:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X