Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Water in the Splash Mountain logs?

My boyfriend and I visited Disneyland yesterday, it was his first trip to the park (hoping to write a trip report soon) and he was quite curious about various physical and engineering aspects of the rides. The most pressing question of the day was regarding the water level inside the logs in Splash Mountain. Since the water that splashes inside the vehicles would accumulate without intervention (and reach too high of a level after several trips, which never seems to happen), he was wondering how the water is evacuated from the logs. My guess is some type of drainage, though he raised a good point that if there was some sort of opening on the bottom, water would also be able to enter and sink the logs. I was wondering if anyone knew more about the design of the vehicles and how they avoid this problem.

Re: Water in the Splash Mountain logs?

I don't know about Splash Mountain, but when I was going on Pirates of the Caribbean they pulled out a vacuum-looking thing to suck the water that was gathering on the floors and the benches of the boat. I assume it would be the same sort of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMagicFlower View Post
      I don't know about Splash Mountain, but when I was going on Pirates of the Caribbean they pulled out a vacuum-looking thing to suck the water that was gathering on the floors and the benches of the boat. I assume it would be the same sort of thing?
      Interesting. Though I'm assuming that more water splashes into the Splash Mountain logs than POTC (after every drop on Splash it seems like a pretty decent amount splashes over the side and into the flume), wonder if that type of system could still work.

Comment

That is a really good question. I can't find anything on google, but my guess is that each log has some type of mechanism and when it's traveling uphill the drain opens up and the water falls to the back and drains out. Just a wild guess but it doesn't seem that far fetched to me.
        sigpic

"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either." - Walt Disney

Comment

Assuming that Splash operates like every other log flume, there are drains in the back of the logs, below the water line and behind the seats that when the logs go up a lift drain the log of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post
            Assuming that Splash operates like every other log flume, there are drains in the back of the logs, below the water line and behind the seats that when the logs go up a lift drain the log of water.
            I believe this is correct, and these drains feature one way valves to prevent flume water from coming in the bottom, much like a raft for white water rafting would.
            WELCOME ABOARD
            THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

I think five of the watertight compartments have to be breached before a log will sink.

Comment

I miss the days when they had so much water on the final drop you would get wet just walking by the ride!!

Comment

It probably helps that everytime a new group sits in a flume each person soaks up a little water on their legs and butts! I swear I can walk off of that ride bone dry...except the seat of my pants :blush:

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo1229 View Post
                    I miss the days when they had so much water on the final drop you would get wet just walking by the ride!!
                    Even in the early days, I don't think I ever got wet walking by SM or even waiting in line, but you could totally get it in the Old Mill Pond (whatever that pond is called right after the first mini-llift).

Originally posted by Amanda949 View Post
                    It probably helps that everytime a new group sits in a flume each person soaks up a little water on their legs and butts! I swear I can walk off of that ride bone dry...except the seat of my pants :blush:
                    I usually end up soaking up most of the water in my shoes. Somehow that first "fast" drop, just before entering the back show building, always dumps a load of water over the edge right onto my shoes!

Comment

I bought plastic disposable shoe covers last year for my vacation. Stuffed a pair in my purse and put them on when I got on the ride. I took them off at the end of the ride. My shoes stayed dry as a bone. They work great on GRR, too. I bought 50 pairs for under $5 on ebay.

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                      Even in the early days, I don't think I ever got wet walking by SM or even waiting in line, but you could totally get it in the Old Mill Pond (whatever that pond is called right after the first mini-llift).

I usually end up soaking up most of the water in my shoes. Somehow that first "fast" drop, just before entering the back show building, always dumps a load of water over the edge right onto my shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                        Sit in the front and keep your feet under the front of the log. You may get overall wetter, but your shoes stay dry which makes things more comfortable as the rest of your cloths dry much faster than your shoes.
                        Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

wet undies, anyone?

The worst thing is waddling off of Splash or Grizzly with moist underpants!

Comment

MOJAVE- when they first opened splash mountain they had a lot of complaints about the soakings from the amount of water they were using so they eventually toned it down. im gonna try and see if I can find old video of it from my cousin but it was so insane how much water used to soak the walk way

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post
                              Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post
                              I believe this is correct, and these drains feature one way valves to prevent flume water from coming in the bottom, much like a raft for white water rafting would.
                              Ah, okay. That totally makes sense. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X