Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Micechatters, lend me your ears (and your wisdom too!)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Micechatters, lend me your ears (and your wisdom too!)

Hello Micechat! I would say that this is my first post but I believe it is actually the third time I've participated here on the forums - regardless, I'm a new poster but a long time lurker. What inspired me to take the time to post today is a surprisingly imminent trip to the resort we have planned from the 21st to the 23rd of this month. September is a big month in my family: it's my birthday, my father's birthday, and my parents' anniversary all within one week of each other. This year we have decided to take a long overdue trip to Disneyland and California Adventure to celebrate and as the most Disney savvy member of our group, the planning has been largely left to me. We already have our hotel booked (the GCH) and it will be our first time staying on the property so we are all naturally very excited. I just have a few questions for you all that will help make our stay so much smoother. I would appreciate all your constructive criticism and advice! Without further ado...

Sunday September 21st

We will probably leave San Diego around noon or one in the afternoon for a 2:00 arrival time. We will be headed straight to the Grand Californian for check-in. Does anyone know what the most reasonably priced parking option is? Is it valet or is there a lot somewhere that would be more affordable? My mother booked the hotel room and requested a standard woods / courtyard view. I offered to pay the difference for a premium park view but she insisted. Regardless I'm sure it will be lovely but does anyone have any specific recommendations when it comes to where the room is located / which wing / what floors are the best? I don't feel entitled to asking for an "upgrade" or special treatment but it would be nice to know what room I should hope for. Would arriving earlier in the day make a difference? Also do you think a 5'11" 23 year old young woman could fit into the bunk beds? After we get settled in the room, I think we will probably go out to the pool and after that hit up DTD. This leads me to my next set of questions: should we wait to have our "celebratory meal" in the park or head on over to Steakhouse 55? I know that if the Napa Rose was open, we would make reservations there but alas it seems like it will still be under renovation I am leaning towards Carthay Circle for our meal splurge: I love being immersed in the park's atmosphere, have a real fondness for Old Hollywood, and have yet to try this particular dining establishment. We could even head back to the hotel to get a little dolled up for dinner if we were so inclined. If we did go to CC for dinner when we have our DCA day, I think trying Trader Sams would be a groovy way to spend our "free evening" before we hit the parks. Unfortunately my sister is only 18 - is TS a 21+ establishment? Before the next day we also have to sort out our ticket situation. Can they be purchased from the hotel? We will be doing 2-day, 1-park per day tickets. Also, where can we get our special buttons? Hopefully we don't have to walk all the way to the esplanade to get them!

Monday, September 22nd

Because of EMH, we will be headed to DCA on Monday. I know the turnstiles inside the hotel tend to move more slowly than the main gate but I think my parents want to utilize this particular entrance to feel like they are getting their money's worth. I would be happy to do a Starbucks run for them while we wait in line to get in but how close is the Starbucks in DTD to the hotel? Park opens at 10 am so I assume EMH entry begins at 9. I know the temptation is to run straight to RSR but my thought was to make our way towards Toy Story and California Screamin and pick up a fast pass for RSR later in the day. Does this sound reasonable? Also if we did end up eating at Carthay Circle that evening are reservations absolutely necessary? Other than that I think we'll just go with the flow! Our last trip was to DCA so I think we've got this park down for the most part. Also where would you recommend for an inexpensive, grab-and-go lunch? Or at least one with just counter service? We usually end up in that burger joint in Condor Flats but that has always been hit or miss as far as quality goes. Also, we have yet to see World of Color but my family isn't exactly what you would call "show people". If I convince them to stay for it will they be pleasantly surprised or rolling their eyes?

Tuesday, September 23rd

And finally our big day in DL. We also have EMH for this day too if I read the rules correctly. We are staying at the park for two nights so we have two days to use that early entrance privilege. Unless, we lose a day because we're checking in on a Sunday and not going to the park that same day. Does this affect us at all? My next question would be for this day, what would be the best way to get to the park from the GCH - through DTD and the esplanade or by monorail? I think the monorail would be a neat way to enter the park as we haven't been on it as a family in a very long time but if it doesn't accommodate EMH or is more hassle than it's worth, I guess we could afford to skip it. Now once we get into the park I am at a bit of a loss. I have no idea where to start with Disneyland given that we have this very precious extra hour. Do we hit up our favorite attractions, e.g. Space Mountain, Indy, and Big Thunder? Or try Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland and hope the lines for those other rides don't grow to unreasonable lengths later on in the day? We still haven't been on the new Thunder Mountain so we are incredibly excited about trying that one! Matterhorn and a few other attractions will be closed that day but nothing we can't live without. For lunch I will try to convince the rents that a splurge on the Blue Bayou for a Monte Cristo will be worth the price If not, there's always the Hungry Bear or Harbor Galley but what are your recommendations for a quick, inexpensive lunch? I'm looking forward to seeing Disneyland all done up for Halloween, it's one of our favorite times of year to visit. And it's the first time we've been to the parks in a long time as a family. We have always been a Disney family: my parents are San Diego natives and have been going since it opened in '56 and some of my fondest memories of my childhood are in the Parks. I plan on leaving the smartphone at home and just spending a day lost in the Happiest Place on Earth with my favorite people. So thank you in advance for all your help, MC, and I can't wait to let you know how it all goes!

XO,
    TLM

Re: Micechatters, lend me your ears (and your wisdom too!)

Congrats on your upcoming trip. Sounds like a lot of fun. I can't answer everything, but for my money, I'd choose to dine at the Carthay Circle. For me, it is also much about atmosphere. I've heard mixed reviews, but I had a good meal there a couple of years ago. As for reservations, I'd say YES, but I don't know if you need them before that day, or if you can simply get them that morning. Be forwarned that reservations are a commitment. YOu will be charged for cancelling or no showing.
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
      Congrats on your upcoming trip. Sounds like a lot of fun. I can't answer everything, but for my money, I'd choose to dine at the Carthay Circle. For me, it is also much about atmosphere. I've heard mixed reviews, but I had a good meal there a couple of years ago. As for reservations, I'd say YES, but I don't know if you need them before that day, or if you can simply get them that morning. Be forwarned that reservations are a commitment. YOu will be charged for cancelling or no showing.
      Oh yay! My first response :thumbup: I am definitely leaning towards Carthay Circle as well. I think eating "in-park" is just too cool an experience to pass up. I would be happy to make a reservation but I did notice that you needed a credit card to do so and thought it might be too much of a commitment to make without getting the definite go ahead from mice chat (and um, my family haha). Do you think that in making a reservation ahead of time might ensure us a "really good" table? I have worked in the restaurant industry for years and I know advanced resos are often given priority but I'm not sure if that holds true in DLR. What is the restaurant layout like if you don't mind my asking? I'm sure it will be amazing wherever we might end up!

Comment

Whew...lots of questions, but we've done your kind of trip in the past, so I'll try to share some of our experience.

Parking: I always do valet because I LOVE handing the keys over and feeling fancy free. BUT...my husband is frugal (or wise?) When he's with me he takes the car across the street to self-parking. Just ask the valets where that is.

Room location: Don't fret about it. You're hardly in your room at all, and I've sometimes had better rooms when I just booked "standard" than when I paid for an upgrade. It's all about availability. If they have good rooms, they'll give you one.

Bunk beds: They're really for kids. We've done four adults to a room. We put two adults in each queen bed, no problem. You're all exhausted by the end of the day. All conked out!

Dinner: Love the Carthay Circle plan, and would make reservations. MiceChatters have different opinions about the food there, but we've had really fun, tasty dinners, with beautiful atmosphere and mighty fine cocktails.

Getting to Disneyland: By all means walk down the DT Disney esplanade to the park. That closeness is what makes the GC so magical!

Lunch: LOVE the lobster roll at the Harbor Galley. Quiet there, too, and usually tables available.

Tickets: We like to buy them online, print them out and be ready to go. But I believe you can purchase them at the hotel. I know they have printed out Fantasmic premium viewing tickets for me, so I assume they also do regular tickets.

EMH at DL: Only part of the park is open for this. What we do is what we call "the baby rides" at Fantasyland because the rest of the day they're impossible and don't have Fastpasses.

Others will have other suggestions. No matter what, Have a Great Time!!!

Last edited by Pips; 09-04-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know what the most reasonably priced parking option is? Is it valet or is there a lot somewhere that would be more affordable?
          It has been a little while since we stayed at the GCH but things should still be the same. There is a self parking lot across the street, next to the PPH. But you will need to check in first. Drive up to the GCH, at the gate they will ask for the name of your party and then they will give you a card with the party's name on it. Drive up to the front and tell them that you will be self parking, as it will save you a little. Unload the car and check in then move the car to the self parking area. When you leave you will get the car and drive it up to the front of the GCH and load up and then leave.

And finally our big day in DL. We also have EMH for this day too if I read the rules correctly. We are staying at the park for two nights so we have two days to use that early entrance privilege. Unless, we lose a day because we're checking in on a Sunday and not going to the park that same day. Does this affect us at all? My next question would be for this day, what would be the best way to get to the park from the GCH - through DTD and the esplanade or by monorail? I think the monorail would be a neat way to enter the park as we haven't been on it as a family in a very long time but if it doesn't accommodate EMH or is more hassle than it's worth, I guess we could afford to skip it.
          In the past your early entry has been your ticket and your room key, you will need both so you will be able to get into the park with out a problem. As far as the Monorail for the early morning at DL I do not remember if it is working or not, we always went early and got into the regular line at the front gate. They open the gates for both parks around 20 minutes before "opening" and then everyone waits for the rope drop, that is something to see at least once as there is no one beyond the rope but cast members so you get an uncluttered view of the castle.

For lunch I will try to convince the rents that a splurge on the Blue Bayou for a Monte Cristo will be worth the price
          If you have not been to the Blue Bayou then go for it but if you just want the Monte Cristo then go to the cafe Orleans you can order one there and it is not as expensive. The other choice the hungry bear is a good choice the fried green tomato sandwich has been a hit with us and it is not that expensive (as far as DL food).

I hope you have a great time, get fast passes and plan a few must do things and then go with the flow, some of the things might have a long line so you might have to wing it.

Comment

Does anyone know what the most reasonably priced parking option is? Is it valet or is there a lot somewhere that would be more affordable?

Self parking is available for $17 rather than $25 a night. Not lightyears cheaper, but is the same as parking in Mickey and Friends. The Self Park Lot, if I remember correctly is across the street from the GCH. Takes about two minutes to get there.

Regardless I'm sure it will be lovely but does anyone have any specific recommendations when it comes to where the room is located / which wing / what floors are the best?

You may want to get above the third floor, as it is easy to access the second and third floors from the lobby's grand staircase. There's also a seating area outside of the lobby rooms on Level 3 that can be rather loud in the early morning when excited children are running around. It's not too bad. Most every wing is fine, but for me the higher the better.

Would arriving earlier in the day make a difference? Also do you think a 5'11" 23 year old young woman could fit into the bunk beds?

I'm 5' 10'' and last time I slept in those beds... because apparently I sleep in the fetal position... they were fine. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. It was a little awkward on the bottom bunk. Better than sleeping on the floor with the provided "sleeping bag with pad" they offer rather than a roll-away. Note that they do have a pull out bed under the bunk, so if you sleep more spread-out that may be the better option. Again, none of them are that comfortable for a tall person, but doable.

should we wait to have our "celebratory meal" in the park or head on over to Steakhouse
            55?

I prefer Steakhouse 55

Unfortunately my sister is only 18 - is TS a 21+ establishment?

No it isn't, so long as you sit at a table and not the bar.

Can they be purchased from the hotel?

I've been able to purchase them at the Concierge level. Not sure if they allow you to buy them at the Guest Relations desk in the lobby... though they let you buy everything else there, and printed tickets we had already reserved there, so I'd be surprised if they didn't. You can also buy them online if you really want to avoid the ticket booth.

Also, where can we get our special buttons?

I've received birthday buttons at the front desk at check-in.

Monday, September 22nd

How close is the Starbucks in DTD to the hotel?

Depends on where you are in the hotel... if you're far away from the DTD gate it could be a hike. You have to go through the DTD exit and turn right. It's probably 75 yards from the GCH portal.

Does this sound reasonable?

Yes. I have done exactly what you've done several times and it works great, with the added bonus of grabbing a ride on RSR via single rider if time permits. No need to rush the fastpass anymore.

Also if we did end up eating at Carthay Circle that evening are reservations absolutely necessary?

Yes

lso where would you recommend for an inexpensive, grab-and-go lunch? Or at least one with just counter service?

I like the Paradise Garden Grill (Mediterranean). The gyros there are pretty good.

If I convince them to stay for it will they be pleasantly surprised or rolling their eyes?

In the words of my father... "the best thing about Fantasmic and fireworks are they make the line for BTMRR go away." In the words of my father after FINALLY seeing World of Color, "That was the most amazing show I've ever seen."

Tuesday, September 23rd

What would be the best way to get to the park from the GCH - through DTD and the esplanade or by monorail? Esplanade is much faster. It's a bit of a hike to the monorail from the GCH gate... a little further than the esplanade. It's a fun way to do it, though.

What are your recommendations for a quick, inexpensive lunch?

Gumbo. French Market is a little pricier but does a good job as well.
            Last edited by Circlevision91; 09-09-2014, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Good neighbor hotels sell them, so I imagine Disney hotels do as well.

Also, where can we get our special buttons? You might be able to get some at front desk, otherwise City Hall in DL and Customer Service in DCA have them.

Also where would you recommend for an inexpensive, grab-and-go lunch? Or at least one with just counter service?

I love the Mexcian restaurant on the pier (counter service). There is also a place there that sells soup and chowder in sourdough bowls that is great.

Do we hit up our favorite attractions, e.g. Space Mountain, Indy, and Big Thunder? Or try Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland and hope the lines for those other rides don't grow to unreasonable lengths later on in the day?

Only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland open early. Fantasyland rides tend not to have Fastpasses so if you really want to ride those rides, head there.
              what are your recommendations for a quick, inexpensive lunch?

Blue Bayou is great for the atmosphere, Hungry Bear is good food, inexpensive, generous portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                Whew...lots of questions, but we've done your kind of trip in the past, so I'll try to share some of our experience.

Parking: I always do valet because I LOVE handing the keys over and feeling fancy free. BUT...my husband is frugal (or wise?) When he's with me he takes the car across the street to self-parking. Just ask the valets where that is.

Room location: Don't fret about it. You're hardly in your room at all, and I've sometimes had better rooms when I just booked "standard" than when I paid for an upgrade. It's all about availability. If they have good rooms, they'll give you one.

Bunk beds: They're really for kids. We've done four adults to a room. We put two adults in each queen bed, no problem. You're all exhausted by the end of the day. All conked out!

Dinner: Love the Carthay Circle plan, and would make reservations. MiceChatters have different opinions about the food there, but we've had really fun, tasty dinners, with beautiful atmosphere and mighty fine cocktails.

Getting to Disneyland: By all means walk down the DT Disney esplanade to the park. That closeness is what makes the GC so magical!

Lunch: LOVE the lobster roll at the Harbor Galley. Quiet there, too, and usually tables available.

Tickets: We like to buy them online, print them out and be ready to go. But I believe you can purchase them at the hotel. I know they have printed out Fantasmic premium viewing tickets for me, so I assume they also do regular tickets.

EMH at DL: Only part of the park is open for this. What we do is what we call "the baby rides" at Fantasyland because the rest of the day they're impossible and don't have Fastpasses.

Others will have other suggestions. No matter what, Have a Great Time!!!

I would certainly be inclined to valet but my dad is the driver so I suppose he will decide. Someone else mentioned it's only 8 more dollars a day so as far as convenience goes that seems almost worth it. It's also encouraging to hear that you've often had luck when it comes to getting nice rooms and that assignment is based on availability. Maybe getting there a bit earlier wouldn't hurt. I'm excited about trying the new Harbor Galley as I haven't been there since it was a McDonalds :lol:I've consider purchasing online - does that mean that they will switch the printed paper ticket for the real ones at the turnstile? Sounds like Fantasyland rides it is then! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond x

Comment

Originally posted by mouseknotts View Post
                  It has been a little while since we stayed at the GCH but things should still be the same. There is a self parking lot across the street, next to the PPH. But you will need to check in first. Drive up to the GCH, at the gate they will ask for the name of your party and then they will give you a card with the party's name on it. Drive up to the front and tell them that you will be self parking, as it will save you a little. Unload the car and check in then move the car to the self parking area. When you leave you will get the car and drive it up to the front of the GCH and load up and then leave.

In the past your early entry has been your ticket and your room key, you will need both so you will be able to get into the park with out a problem. As far as the Monorail for the early morning at DL I do not remember if it is working or not, we always went early and got into the regular line at the front gate. They open the gates for both parks around 20 minutes before "opening" and then everyone waits for the rope drop, that is something to see at least once as there is no one beyond the rope but cast members so you get an uncluttered view of the castle.

If you have not been to the Blue Bayou then go for it but if you just want the Monte Cristo then go to the cafe Orleans you can order one there and it is not as expensive. The other choice the hungry bear is a good choice the fried green tomato sandwich has been a hit with us and it is not that expensive (as far as DL food).

I hope you have a great time, get fast passes and plan a few must do things and then go with the flow, some of the things might have a long line so you might have to wing it.

Comment

Another requirement is to post a super trip report with many photos!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

The tickets purchased online are great. You print them out and go straight to the gate, where they give you a small actual ticket. No waiting in line at ticket booths.

Comment

The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!
                        sigpic

Comment

BUBBLE BURST ON THE FOLLOWING:

Sounds like if my key and ticket are all I need then we should be in the clear! I'm really excited about our EMH because we've never been at the park before it officially "opened" and I can't imagine what it will be like to see the park so sparsely populated. A view of the castle sure would be nice!

Off season the resort may not be snapping your photo early. They may hold you up at the gate till opening then began the process of snapping a photo of every member of your family. Which is a good process if you are early at the gate. If the photo process is early, then a rope drop awaits you center of the partners hub and the early morning will be full of folks filling into the castle hub, very crowded and no photo opps of an empty park.

Comment

We will be at CGH from 9/21 to 9/27 also at the DVC part. We have used both entrance to DCA for EMH if you get there early the private is fast but if you are back far in line will take a long time faster to walk around to main entrance.
                            You take the good, you take the bad,
                            you take them both and there you have
                            The facts of Disneyland,
                            the facts of Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlevision91 View Post

Self parking is available for $17 rather than $25 a night. Not lightyears cheaper, but is the same as parking in Mickey and Friends. The Self Park Lot, if I remember correctly is across the street from the GCH. Takes about two minutes to get there.

Regardless I'm sure it will be lovely but does anyone have any specific recommendations when it comes to where the room is located / which wing / what floors are the best?

You may want to get above the third floor, as it is easy to access the second and third floors from the lobby's grand staircase. There's also a seating area outside of the lobby rooms on Level 3 that can be rather loud in the early morning when excited children are running around. It's not too bad. Most every wing is fine, but for me the higher the better.

Would arriving earlier in the day make a difference? Also do you think a 5'11" 23 year old young woman could fit into the bunk beds?

I'm 5' 10'' and last time I slept in those beds... because apparently I sleep in the fetal position... they were fine. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. It was a little awkward on the bottom bunk. Better than sleeping on the floor with the provided "sleeping bag with pad" they offer rather than a roll-away. Note that they do have a pull out bed under the bunk, so if you sleep more spread-out that may be the better option. Again, none of them are that comfortable for a tall person, but doable.

should we wait to have our "celebratory meal" in the park or head on over to Steakhouse
                              55?

I prefer Steakhouse 55, but check your inbox.

Unfortunately my sister is only 18 - is TS a 21+ establishment?

No it isn't, so long as you sit at a table and not the bar.

I've been able to purchase them at the Concierge level. Not sure if they allow you to buy them at the Guest Relations desk in the lobby... though they let you buy everything else there, and printed tickets we had already reserved there, so I'd be surprised if they didn't. You can also buy them online if you really want to avoid the ticket booth.

Also, where can we get our special buttons?

I've received birthday buttons at the front desk at check-in.

Monday, September 22nd

How close is the Starbucks in DTD to the hotel?

Depends on where you are in the hotel... if you're far away from the DTD gate it could be a hike. You have to go through the DTD exit and turn right. It's probably 75 yards from the GCH portal.

Does this sound reasonable?

Yes. I have done exactly what you've done several times and it works great, with the added bonus of grabbing a ride on RSR via single rider if time permits. No need to rush the fastpass anymore.

Also if we did end up eating at Carthay Circle that evening are reservations absolutely necessary?

Yes, but once again, check your inbox.

lso where would you recommend for an inexpensive, grab-and-go lunch? Or at least one with just counter service?

I like the Paradise Garden Grill (Mediterranean). The gyros there are pretty good.

If I convince them to stay for it will they be pleasantly surprised or rolling their eyes?

In the words of my father... "the best thing about Fantasmic and fireworks are they make the line for BTMRR go away." In the words of my father after FINALLY seeing World of Color, "That was the most amazing show I've ever seen."

Tuesday, September 23rd

What would be the best way to get to the park from the GCH - through DTD and the esplanade or by monorail? Esplanade is much faster. It's a bit of a hike to the monorail from the GCH gate... a little further than the esplanade. It's a fun way to do it, though.

What are your recommendations for a quick, inexpensive lunch?

Gumbo. French Market is a little pricier but does a good job as well.
                              Sunday

Sounds like the difference in price is worth the convenience of valet parking but it will be up to the discretion of my parents. But it's good information to have and I'll definitely pass it on to them ! As far as rooms go I think we're just going to play it by ear and hope for the best. We were considering the bunk beds because A. My sister doesn't like sharing beds with people and B. We wanted to be goofy and relive our childhood memories or having bunk beds when we were kids. I also sleep in the fetal position so maybe it would work out! I mean Disneyland is the place to be a kid right? Then again their beds do look really soft and nice

As far as tickets go I think we will purchase them online rather than risk not being able to buy them though I do think that there's a good chance we could buy them at the desk. I don't want to risk finding ourselves in a pickle if it doesn't work out. And good news about the buttons too! I think we'll mention that we're celebrating once we reach check-in.

And the best news is about Trader Sams! Do you have a preference drink-wise? I'd want to try them all but uh I think that might ruin the next day :P

Monday

We are going to explore DTD the night before so I will keep my eye out for the Starbucks and see if it's a feasible option. I know that they will appreciate the caffeine boost before we hit he parks. Though I think I saw that there are coffee makers in the room?

I'm glad you approve of my EMH plan! We love Toy Story and it doesn't have a fast pass so it seems sensible to knock that one out first before hitting up the rides that do have FPs. We have done single rider for RSR before and it worked out great! Three out of the four people made it onto the same car. We don't often buy ride photos so that doesn't affect our decision and the serious drop in wait time is worth maybe not being in the same car.

As far as WOC goes that is really really reassuring to hear. I have not seen the show and as I said was nervous about convincing everyone to stay, but if your dad was blown away by it I don't see why mine shouldn't be. Are fast passes available during EMH? What is the best time / section to be in?

Tuesday

I think we will skip the monorail this time. There's too much uncertainty and if the esplanade is that much closer it just makes more sense. Plus, there's nothing like stepping through those gates and seeing the Disneyland RR and spading through those tunnels. I don't think it would be the same experience if we skipped those and main street.

I actually got food poisoning from the gumbo there maybe ten years ago? And so I've never tried it again because the one time we stayed to see Fantasmic I was curled up in a ball on the floor of the Riverbelle Terrace! :O I'm sure that was a total freak accident and maybe it's time I give it a second chance!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! You're so helpful

TLM

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X