This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] The cast in Aladdin: a Musical Spectacular

Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular has always been one of my favorite attractions at the DLR. I do have a couple questions about how the cast works and if anyone could answer them that would be fab:

--How many different casts on there? Are there more possible actors for certain parts?
    --Do the same characters play along with the same ones most or all of the time? IE, will you pretty much always get the same Aladdin with the same Genie?
    --How do they decided which cast is playing on what day? Do they have a better cast they pull out on busier days?
    --How often are new people added to the cast? Is it something that is constantly happening or do they hold auditions annually, biannually, etc.?
    And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain quietly seated at all times and stop taking flash pictures, you moron.

Re: The cast in Aladdin: a Musical Spectacular

The only I answer I know the question to is the second: not necessarily. First, it's hard to tell the difference between the Genie's (because of all the makeup that goes into his Genie look) but I know that i've seen different Jasmines with Aladdins and such.

Comment

Those are some really great questions! I've always been curious about them too. I personally have seen the same Aladdin for the past year or so, but different Jasmines. If anyone else has seen a different Aladdin since August 2013, then we could probably guess that they switch off the main roles at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMagicFlower View Post
        Those are some really great questions! I've always been curious about them too. I personally have seen the same Aladdin for the past year or so, but different Jasmines. If anyone else has seen a different Aladdin since August 2013, then we could probably guess that they switch off the main roles at the very least.
        I saw the show both Monday and today and had different Aladdins and Sultans each time, so they're certainly switching off throughout the week.

I'm sure they switch off the main roles, since I've recognized a lot of the female chorus members as other Jasmines I've seen.
        And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain quietly seated at all times and stop taking flash pictures, you moron.

Comment

In the first few years of the show, they pulled performers who had Broadway credits on their resumes. One of the first Jasmines was Deedee Magno Hall from the Mickey Mouse Club! For most of the cast, they hold open auditions. They have, or maybe just had, a full-time cast and lots of swing and stand-by performers. So many of them are young, college-aged performers, so they work around school schedules or general availability. There are not a lot of performers to fill the parts. The ensemble can play two or three parts if the choreographers want to move them around, but the principals only play that one role. I imagine that for the Genie, since he has to be both a great comedian and a good singer, they hold special calls by invitation.

Comment

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that they will rotate the principle actors throughout the day. It does not just come down to availability, there are simply too many shows for a person singing lead to endure in a short period of time. Your vocal chords and throat couldn't handle singing three and four times several times a show daily over a months long contract

Comment

They don't hold auditions that regularly but they have them a few times a year, usually in both Los Angeles and New York. They only seem to hold auditions like that for the main roles though, I'm not too sure how they get the rest of the cast.

Comment

I believe there are two sets of cast. I've heard references to A and B cast. Not sure of how often they play; I'm guessing it's to give cast days off so they're not constantly working. And there would be individual replacements for someone who's sick that day or wants the day off.
                I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

One of my gf's friends is in the ensemble. My gf is climbing Kilimanjaro right now or I'd ask her how she got the job.

I will say this--the guy I saw play Jafar stole the show. He was great.

Comment

They also have two sets of Aladdins and Jasmines for each show. The primary ones for that show are the ones you see on stage. They sing off-stage while the alternates for that show fly around on the magic carpet up in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
                      They also have two sets of Aladdins and Jasmines for each show. The primary ones for that show are the ones you see on stage. They sing off-stage while the alternates for that show fly around on the magic carpet up in the air.
                      Oddly enough, the ones that fly the carpet are not considered principals; only the pair on stage are. They are considered stand-bys and can play other parts in the show as need be. Honestly, it all depends on what the AGVA contract says. (AGVA = American Guild of Variety Artists - the stage performer's union.) I remember the contract for the Animazement performers called for no shared costumes, one swing performance for each principal (meaning each principal had one show off, and the swing would perform in a different role for each of the 5 shows that day). Animazement was considered a variety show, whereas Aladdin is considered more of a formal Broadway-like stage show, so I'm sure their contract is much stricter.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X