Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Offical Disneyland refurbishment dates - Updated as needed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Disneyland over our spring break (March 14-16) and have a few questions regarding ride refurbishments:
    - Any rumors on if this Splash Mountain refurb is a standard 6-8 week Jan-Feb annual refurb, or is it a major months long deal?
    - When it's a major refurb do they usually say it is upfront and not leave it so uncertain?
    - Also wouldn't they wait until Splash is done before they start on Pirates (Would they really have both pirates and splash closed at the same time)? Maybe that's why we haven't heard Disneyland's schedule for the Auction scene redo. Hopefully both aren't closed when I'm there. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrg020491 View Post
      Going to Disneyland over our spring break (March 14-16) and have a few questions regarding ride refurbishments:
      - Any rumors on if this Splash Mountain refurb is a standard 6-8 week Jan-Feb annual refurb, or is it a major months long deal?
      - When it's a major refurb do they usually say it is upfront and not leave it so uncertain?
      - Also wouldn't they wait until Splash is done before they start on Pirates (Would they really have both pirates and splash closed at the same time)? Maybe that's why we haven't heard Disneyland's schedule for the Auction scene redo. Hopefully both aren't closed when I'm there. Cheers.
      I don't know if anyone knows for certain when Splash Mtn is supposed to re-open, but I would venture to guess it's before your visit. However, I am still convinced Pirates is going to close in very early February or within a month of that. Assuming that ends up being the case, your trip would fall right when PotC is closed. But the fact that DL has not announced a refurb schedule even though WDW has is slightly odd. So who knows, maybe they are going to wait until after the week of Easter (Apr 1) to close it and have it re-open just in time for May and Memorial Day?

Usually for major refurbs, they are given time frames. Like when the Matterhorn or BTMRR or PotC closed for extended periods in the 5 years Disney did say they were extended or would last 3 months or 6 months or 9 months or whatever the case was. So for Splash Mtn, I don't think it's an extended refurb that will last 4-8 months. More than likely it's a 4-8 week refurb and hopefully it is back open for your mid-March trip!

Comment

• Originally posted by jrg020491 View Post
        Going to Disneyland over our spring break (March 14-16) and have a few questions regarding ride refurbishments:
        Looks like some places are now reporting a reopen date of April 14th for Splash Mountain. I'm trying to find a window where both Splash Mountain and Pirates are open during a lower crowd time, so I'm wishing they would give us some info on Pirates.

Does anyone know how solid those end dates on a refurbishment usually are? We're now looking at the week of April 16th for our trip, but I wonder if that's cutting it too close to the end date of the Splash Mountain refurb (Splash is my daughter's favorite ride, so we're basically scheduling around that being open).

Comment

• Originally posted by StrawberryGirl View Post

Looks like some places are now reporting a reopen date of April 14th for Splash Mountain. I'm trying to find a window where both Splash Mountain and Pirates are open during a lower crowd time, so I'm wishing they would give us some info on Pirates.

Does anyone know how solid those end dates on a refurbishment usually are? We're now looking at the week of April 16th for our trip, but I wonder if that's cutting it too close to the end date of the Splash Mountain refurb (Splash is my daughter's favorite ride, so we're basically scheduling around that being open).
          Well if that re-open date ends up being accurate I really can't see Disneyland having Pirates closed for 4-6 weeks at that same exact time - especially when that time happens to be during spring break. It's also unlikely they would have 2 of the most popular attractions on the same side of the park for over 1 month. This coupled with the fact that DL still hasn't announced a closure date like WDW did a couple months back is sure making it seem like Pirates is possibly closing in mid-late April and re-opening just before Memorial Day by a couple of weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Well if that re-open date ends up being accurate I really can't see Disneyland having Pirates closed for 4-6 weeks at that same exact time - especially when that time happens to be during spring break. It's also unlikely they would have 2 of the most popular attractions on the same side of the park for over 1 month. This coupled with the fact that DL still hasn't announced a closure date like WDW did a couple months back is sure making it seem like Pirates is possibly closing in mid-late April and re-opening just before Memorial Day by a couple of weeks.
            I guess what I'll get to wonder about now is whether the Blue Bayou will remain open during the Pirates closure. (missing Pirates on our trip isn't a huge deal-breaker to us, but the Blue Bayou is a tradition for us that I would hate to miss). Does any one have any experience with what has happened with the Blue Bayou during past Pirates closures?

Comment

• Originally posted by StrawberryGirl View Post

I guess what I'll get to wonder about now is whether the Blue Bayou will remain open during the Pirates closure. (missing Pirates on our trip isn't a huge deal-breaker to us, but the Blue Bayou is a tradition for us that I would hate to miss). Does any one have any experience with what has happened with the Blue Bayou during past Pirates closures?
              I think it will stay open. From what I have heard, they are only updating the auction scene during the closure so the bayou area should be fine. I think the only time they close Blue Bayou is when the attraction is getting a major refurb and is down for an extended amount of time - for instance when they empty out the canal or redo the boats. Is the website letting you book reservations for that week you want to go? I think you are fine and the Blue Bayou will be open.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I think even when Pirates was being refurbed for it's 50th last year and was closed for nearly 6 weeks the Blue Bayou was open the entire time. This closure is only 2-3 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

I think it will stay open. From what I have heard, they are only updating the auction scene during the closure so the bayou area should be fine. I think the only time they close Blue Bayou is when the attraction is getting a major refurb and is down for an extended amount of time - for instance when they empty out the canal or redo the boats. Is the website letting you book reservations for that week you want to go? I think you are fine and the Blue Bayou will be open.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I think even when Pirates was being refurbed for it's 50th last year and was closed for nearly 6 weeks the Blue Bayou was open the entire time. This closure is only 2-3 weeks.
                Thank you so much! That is super helpful!

Comment

• Not sure if this is worth putting in the main post, but World of Disney will be getting a redesign starting in mid-February. Here's the link to the Disney Parks Blog post. I wonder if the new design will retain any of the California craftsman theme that worked well with the Grand Californian. I'm not too married to it (since it's mostly just a retail space and not inside Disneyland), but the California craftsman look definitely didn't make sense in Florida. Here's the header image that might offer some hints about the new aesthetic:

Comment

Working...
                  X