Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pirate's life for Depp (Discussion) - Los Angeles Times Editorial, 2/12/06

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...l=la-home-oped

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: A pirate's life for Depp (Discussion) - Los Angeles Times Editorial, 2/12/06

It's good marketing and makes for a particularly dizzying case of life imitating art imitating life, or more precisely, theme park imitating blockbuster film imitating theme park. But the original Pirates ride, however technologically dated, will be missed.
    I'm sure this will also evolve into a redvine throwing free for all, but did you all notice the part where the author said the ORIGINAL PIRATES RIDE WILL BE MISSED? HELLO!

Also interesting that we've had at least three threads on this issue and they generally escalate into people becoming a wee bit psychotic as they try to get their point across.

My point: Outside of Micechat, many, many people will miss old pirates and will think this is a horrible mistake.

*Bell sounds*

Round Four: (That would be me in the lighter trunks)

Comment

Re: A pirate's life for Depp (Discussion) - Los Angeles Times Editorial, 2/12/06

So I assume this means Depp has sold his "likeness" to WDI?

Comment

Marc Davis has just rolled over in his grave.
        Jason

Comment

I don't see any problem with updating the scenes, and
          don't forget new special effects will be added. And as long
          as there is humor added, Marc Davis would be rolling in
          his grave with laughter.

It will be neat to have the actual Black Pearl in Pirates.

They have made some mistakes, most notably removing the
          pirates chasing the women. I'm not too happy that they moved
          the pirate on the barrels to the "chase" scene, since there
          is enough happening in that area, he is much more needed
          at the end of the ride, where he used to be. Oh, one more
          thing I miss is the shadow, from the pirate hat of the Captain,
          forming a hidden Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald. THAT was
          the most fun multiple hidden character DL has ever had.

I'm hopeful of this refurb and update, considering the good they
          did with Pirates, HM, and Jungle early last year. So happy that
          I can be more upbeat about changes now, thank goodness
          the evil forces of Eisner, Pressler, Harriss (EPH, for Short,
          prounced as the letter "F" as in FLUNKED) are dead!
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

They should've added an animatronic base on Robert Newton's Long John Silver. Afterall, a bunch of quotes from Treasure Island did make there way into the original POTC ride.

Comment

I agree with Aladdin, Harrison Ford's appearance in Indiana Jones Adventure and the Star Wars characters in Star Tours don't seem dated to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin
                I don't see any problem with updating the scenes, and
                don't forget new special effects will be added. And as long
                as there is humor added, Marc Davis would be rolling in
                his grave with laughter.

It will be neat to have the actual Black Pearl in Pirates.

They have made some mistakes, most notably removing the
                pirates chasing the women. I'm not too happy that they moved
                the pirate on the barrels to the "chase" scene, since there
                is enough happening in that area, he is much more needed
                at the end of the ride, where he used to be. Oh, one more
                thing I miss is the shadow, from the pirate hat of the Captain,
                forming a hidden Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald. THAT was
                the most fun multiple hidden character DL has ever had.

I'm hopeful of this refurb and update, considering the good they
                did with Pirates, HM, and Jungle early last year. So happy that
                I can be more upbeat about changes now, thank goodness
                the evil forces of Eisner, Pressler, Harriss (EPH, for Short,
                prounced as the letter "F" as in FLUNKED) are dead!
                Just to follow up on your post about special effects, I was just watching the second disc in the special edition DVD of Pirates, and it showed the animatronics being installed back in 1967. They showed a bank of EARLY computers and Walt stated that they were using "space age" computer technology throughout the ride.

Please tell me that they are not using the same hardware from 1967.
                Last edited by Mac Daddy; 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                  Just to follow up on your post about special effects, I was just watching the second disc in the special edition DVD of Pirates, and it showed the animatronics being installed back in 1967. They showed a bank of EARLY computers and Walt stated that they were using "space age" computer technology throughout the ride.

Please tell me that they are not using the same hardware from 1967.
                  There is an advantage to using legacy computer hardware (if you can still get it). It runs the old software! (And if that old hardware was IBM, then there is a good chance that newer IBM hardware will run that ancient code).

Sure, you can throw out the old stuff and replace it with new Wintel or Linux or MAc boxes, but the code will have to be rewritten, and that costs $$$.

Comment

Now that Steve Jobs of Apple is the major share holder and board member at Disney, the Pirates ride will finally be updated to run off an iPod.

Comment

Originally posted by Lore
                      Now that Steve Jobs of Apple is the major share holder and board member at Disney, the Pirates ride will finally be updated to run off an iPod.
                      :lol: Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                        My point: Outside of Micechat, many, many people will miss old pirates and will think this is a horrible mistake.
                        On the contrary, outside of Micechat (or any other disney fanboard) no one else will care. We're talking about a general public that walks around Disneyland looking for snoopy, and referring to DCA as CaliforniaLand. I highly doubt they'll be that upset over ay changes.

As for Johnny, honestly, in a few year's time, no one will even care. Walt Disney was one of the most prolific figures in entertainment for nearly half a century. Fast forward to today, and if most folks wouldn't even know who he was if you showed them a picture!

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                          Walt Disney was one of the most prolific figures in entertainment for nearly half a century. Fast forward to today, and if most folks wouldn't even know who he was if you showed them a picture!
                          I guess, Soul, that most people think that's just the statue of some guy holding hands with some mouse in front of Sleeping Beauty's Castle...
                          Guess those same folks wouldn't know a classic ride if you showed them a picture, either (LOL)
                          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X