Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hitting your hands on the Disneyland Mountains?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hitting your hands on the Disneyland Mountains?

I've heard from a number of people I am friends with that they or someone they know has hit their hands on one or more of the Disneyland Mountains from lifting their hands over their heads.

The problem is: I don't believe it.

Why? 2 reasons.

1. My brother-in-law did a "research project" in college (actually it was an excuse to visit Disneyland for school credit) to see if this story was true. It didn't make any sense to him that Disney would create a ride that could hurt guests for doing something so simple as putting hands over heads.
    It was 1994 when he and three friends tested it. They rode Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain and The Matterhorn in every seat possible. The four of them had a average height of 6' 1".
    The only ride where they were able to touch the mountain was on the Matterhorn, but it wasn't a case of "Ouch" it was more "oh... I touched it" kid of thing.

2. My brother and I had our own test and found the same results. no matter how hard we stretched we could only touch the mountain on the Matterhorn for a second.

So... anyone have stories to the contrary?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Re: hitting your hands on the Disneyland Mountains?

I'll just keep my hands inside thanks.

Comment

I'm about 6'1" and I'm always kinda freaked to raise my hands on Space Mountain, mostly because I know there are beams above us, but I can't see them... I'm with you though, I can't see Disney not taking that into consideration, and I'm sure it's perfectly safe.

Comment

I'm keeping my hands as well, but I think its more that it gives you the impression of being a lower ceiling than it really is on Space and Big Thunder, though I'm sure those with long arms would be better off not testing this theory.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

I would personally put this under the “Urban Legends”, while plausible not very likely.

I know that they do their best to make sure that this does not happen. If you look at the Everest testing (at WDW), they have a wood figure in some of the seats with tabs that act as finger which will get knocked down if the wall/track is too close.

If it happens I would think that it might have happen on the older rides, such as the Matterhorn Bobsleds.
          Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

They have photos out of them running trains on the mountains when they are built with different size extensions to see if any of them hit. They go 180 degrees around the top of the trains. I bet long arms can touch in places...but I doubt it. Even those close places like WDW's re-entry tunnels on Space Mountain are farther than they look.

Comment

If Yao Ming, Kevin Garnett or Shaq could find a way to squeeze onto one of these rides, they would probably lose a hand. But...I don't think they would fit. Has anyone every heard of NBA players on one of these coasters? (Over 6',6 I mean. John Stockton doesn't count.)

Comment

While the survey is an interesting one I would question the safety and logic of performing it. What would your brother and his friends have done had they lost a hand or arm while trying performing these "tests" against the ride safety instructions (of keeping hands and arms inside the car's at all times)? Don't get me wrong I have always felt that if my hands are kept up in Space Mountain I would lose them (I am over 6 feet tall) It is interesting to know the results although I do think it is a pretty dangerous idea to test it.
                Last edited by CAspace; 02-13-2006, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I'm 6'4" and I keep my arms down! I'm always cautious especially when riding Space Mountain.
                  sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

I am 6ft1 and I have yet to touch any mountain

Comment

Ok, Ok, Ok....

I can't believe that no one has posted this yet, but stop and think about this for just a fraction of a moment. This is the United States of Lawsuits. Do you seriously, seriously think for a millisecond that ANYone would build a roller coaster these days that could endanger someone by snapping off any part of their body if they extended it outside the ride vehicle?!?

Ride designers take extreme care to be certain that this is as unlikely an event as possible. From the get-go there is a zone of safety (in fact, if I recall correctly thats actually what its called) that extends for a few feet around the passenger area of each vehicle along the entire track course, and the entire ride is built around this tubular "space". A part of the ride designers job is to make sure that this zone is "invisible", in other words, to make it "appear" that you are in immenent danger of losing life and/or limb. If they are successful, then passengers duck, yell, and yank their arms in whenever they pass under a beam (California Screamin') or rock bridge (Thunder Mountain). But its all an illusion. There are people with extra-long limbs, but if there really was such a danger you'd be hearing about it on the network news; in fact, ask yourself when was the last time you heard of any accident on a modern roller coaster that involved this type of injury. Considering the vast, vast number of coaster passengers each day, well...

The Matterhorn is a clear exception to this rule... but, you have to remember that the Matterhorn was built back in the days when people were actually expected to, and took, responsibility for themselves (way before the days of Johnny Cockran and Gloria Alred). The Matterhorn was the very first modern rollercoaster and travels much slower than more recent rides. It was also built back at a time when coaster passengers didn't ride with their hands in the air, for the simple reason that there were no rides back then that created the sensations of weightlessness that today's rides do.

So relax, folks, and throw those hands up without fear... except on the Matterhorn.

Comment

The old space moutain could be a problem, but I doubt the new one would have it. the old one was built like a painters scahfiling compaired to the new one ... which looks more like a modern coaster with single welded supports spaced out farther apart.

I rode it with the lights on durning the cast party in dec, there is no way you could hit your hands now.

Comment

You couldn't have hit your hands on the old one, either... it just looked that way.

Comment

Well, I don't deny that I'm stupid... that's not the issue

But next time you are on space... throw your hands above your head and don't chicken out... you will be safe, but the sensation of percived danger is fantastic
                            St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

It's all in the design, guys. SM is supposed to feel dangerous and full of hazards. I'm 5'4" and I duck on SM.
                              A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
                              In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil. :evil:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X