This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Pass for Disabled

I am taking my 12-year old Son (who is autistic) to Disneyland in April -- does anyone know how I can get current information about the availablility of special disabled passes at the Park? I know that, in the past, there was widespread abuse and that there was talk of not offering such passes at all. Thanks...
    sigpic

Re: Special Pass for Disabled

Originally posted by DoctorQ9
    I am taking my 12-year old Son (who is autistic) to Disneyland in April -- does anyone know how I can get current information about the availablility of special disabled passes at the Park? I know that, in the past, there was widespread abuse and that there was talk of not offering such passes at all. Thanks...
    You can go to City Hall atthe park and explain his difficulties and they can provide as needed a Guest Card which will be based on his needs. These are not front of line passes. Most often, you will be allowed to wait in a quieter section. Be advised, sometimes the wait in this area is longer than the regular queue, however, the peace is well worth it. Due to evacuation procedures, there is a limit on the number of disabled guests on a ride. For us, being able to wait in a quieter area, or being able to let someone walk around with the child while we wait was extemely helpful.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

My wife and I were at DL in November, and she got a special disabled pass due to the fact that she can not go more than 3 to 4 hours before her day is done, They go case by case (in some cases they do give a front of the line stamp on the pass)

There has been other posts on this subject with autistic children but I really don't remember what the outcome was.
      THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Comment

I'm a hemiplegic (half paralyzed) due to a massive stroke. But Disneyland is awesome. Look into Mouse Planet's guide for disabled disney guests http://www.mouseplanet.com/tag/ < here <<

and i'm super new to micechat.

hope that helps

Comment

One of my cousin's boys is autistic. The boy's mother said the last time she visited DL and requested a SAP, they gave her a little hassle and preferred some kind of letter from a medical doctor. She eventually got the pass, but it would seem a letter would help.

Comment

I thought these type of medical passes were no longer offered due to the lines now being able to handle medical equipment, such as wheelchairs and motorscooters... and also due to the abuse they experienced from guests who did not need them but fought guest relations to obtain them..But not sure if this is true... Anyone in the know?

Comment

Hi Doc.

I teach Special Ed and have 1 diagnostic Autistic Spectrum and 2 Asperger's in my classroom. Their parents have all had luck with taking the Accomodations Section of their child's IEP with them to the park. One of parents takes the entire latest IEP. It explains the accomodations and modifications and shows that there is, indeed, a reason for the need for a Special Pass. Also, it will help them to understand that autism is real. (So many people see an austic child having a "moment" and think that they are just spoiled..not realizing that they are on overload or having a sensory issue...) Hope this helps.

Oh, and as a head's up. (I know every child is different), but "my" kids tend to really have difficulties with the masked characters. Face characters are fine, but the full body costumes with the stationary mask features tends to be too abstract for them to handle. They just steer clear of those characters when they see them and no problems.

You and your family and your son go and have a great time!

Originally posted by migo
              I poop with joy!
              Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

Opps.. ment diagnosed.. not diagnostic..but you know what I mean.. (long day). Have a good one.
                I poop with joy!
                Best Quote...EVER!!!

Comment

Opps.. ment diagnosed.. not diagnostic..but you know what I mean.. (long day). Have a good one.
                  I poop with joy!
                  Best Quote...EVER!!!

Comment

LOL Who would have thought that my 100th post would have been to apologize for the above double post!
                    I poop with joy!
                    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Comment

Just use the "edit" function below you post to fix spelling and the likes.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                        I thought these type of medical passes were no longer offered due to the lines now being able to handle medical equipment, such as wheelchairs and motorscooters... and also due to the abuse they experienced from guests who did not need them but fought guest relations to obtain them..But not sure if this is true... Anyone in the know?
                        For those with mobility issues, you are correct. But there are other examples, such as children with ASD, such as the original poster's son. City Hall will not look at medical papers (BTDT.) HIPPA regulations will keep them from looking. Your best bet is to go to City Hall, explain what your child needs to be successful, and they are generally very easy to work with if they don't think you are trying to pull a fast one. I have a 15yo daughter who is Aspie. She is able to use the standard queues, but we do know the ropes.

As for the lines being able to handle the medical equipment, this is incorrect. Most of the standard queues in Disneyland are not ADA friendly, however, there are access lines which are. If you are unsure, ask the Cast Member handling the entrance area and they can point you in the right direction. They have a few reasons for seperating the queues, including evacuation reasons and loading procedures, which are different for many of the rides.

DCA is ADA compliant on their standard queues.
                        If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X