This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUB-stancial rumor?

The March 2005 issue of OC Family magazine has some a write up of the upcoming 50th anniversary celebration at DLR. One of the items it mentions is that the Sub lagoon will be the new home of a Little Mermaid attraction.

1) Can anyone confirm/deny? I thought it was previously reported that a Finding Nemo overlay to the Subs was on the drawing board...

2) If either of these is true and does happen (eventually), will this area now become part of Fantasyland? I don't see what the Little Mermaid or Finding Nemo would have to do with Tommorowland. Will they redraw the Disneyland map, or change the broucheres, etc. ?
    SHARK_HUGGER- I'll stop eating fish when sharks do.
    What the Media Doesn't Report (#17):
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

I don't care as long as they bring it back.

Comment

If OC Family is anything like the OC Living magazine as seen on "The OC" he he I wouldn't give it much thought, ha ha - bad joke sorry.

Comment

haha

Comment

I'd much rather see a LM overlay, than Nemo. I'd prefer an Atlantis overlay to Nemo... At least Atlantis had the retro-futuristic vibe going...
          Honor those who fall under the sword.
          But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

OC Family is actually a pretty reputable magazine with a monthly circulation of over 80K. Looks like they also received the 2004 Parenting Publising award for 2004. It's a free mag, but again must be pretty reputable as indicated by their big name advertisers...
            "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

Comment

Given the choice between Finding Nemo and Little Mermaid, I think LM offers far more spectacle and fantasy for a ride.

Comment

I think they are probably trying hard to figure out how to make this all work.
                To draw the new young families out there, I think we have to concede the Atlantis theme would be ideal, but highly improbable. Little Mermaid or Nemo, whether it is one or the other, or both, how or if they tie it to Tomorrow Land is going to be interesting.
                Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

Well it sounds like either way, Tommorowland's square footage would be reduced. Pretty soon, there won't be a Tommorowland!

Comment

why would it be reduced? The lagoon is there no matter what- who cares if it has an official TL address or FL address- let's get life back there.

Comment

The subs could be a transition zone. Subs look somewhat futuristic, appealing to the TL side....and having a LM or Nemo theme appeals to the FL side.
                      WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to split hairs, but we're talking a finite amount of real estate originally allocated for each land. I'd rather have TL hold on to what it has rather than have it taken away for a FL themed attraction.

Less land for TL = less land for new TL attractions right?

I agree, it doesn't matter much to me, but remember that what sets DL apart from other parks is the illussion that you're in a specifically themed area. Plus, don't forget about the monorail. The first floor you'll have the loading area for a FL themed ride and up on the second floor you'll have the newly remodeled TL themed loading area for the Monorail?

Comment

Would anyone else here like the Atlantis re-work? Or am I alone there? I thought you could use not only the subs, but maybe also have some small, 3-5 person subs, like the little ones in the movie. Change up the experience a little but...

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver
                            Would anyone else here like the Atlantis re-work? Or am I alone there? I thought you could use not only the subs, but maybe also have some small, 3-5 person subs, like the little ones in the movie. Change up the experience a little but...

Reaver, my man, you are not alone. I have always (well, since the movie came out) wished for an ATLANTIS overlay on the subs. My hopes were dashed when they took down that 'Imagineering a new ride' display a few years back .... I actually liked the movie.

I think Atlantis is the best non-Pixar Disney animated movie since Lion King ..... and even though I know there are many out there that disagree with that point, I have argued before that the quality (or box-office success) of the movie is not necessarily a barometer of its effectiveness as a ride theme ........
                            "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                            - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Panda
                              Reaver, my man, you are not alone. I have always (well, since the movie came out) wished for an ATLANTIS overlay on the subs. My hopes were dashed when they took down that 'Imagineering a new ride' display a few years back .... I actually liked the movie.

I think Atlantis is the best non-Pixar Disney animated movie since Lion King ..... and even though I know there are many out there that disagree with that point, I have argued before that the quality (or box-office success) of the movie is not necessarily a barometer of its effectiveness as a ride theme ........

I totally agree! I thought the movie was taylor-made for a subs tie-in. I thought then that it would be a great theme, and still do! The Leviathan (heavily anime-inspired!) was one of the coolest ships/creatures in recent history, including the Pixars...

Comment

I was a CM when this movie came out and what was going around the park back then (2001) was that they would bring the subs back when they could find a popular enough movie to theme it to. The hope was that Atlantis would be this movie, but it was not popular enough for them to consider themeing a ride around it.

As much as I would love it to be Atlantis themed and think it would be very interesting and cool, the Nemo overlay will probably appeal to more people.

Although, I don't see why it couldn't contain elements from all of the several films that take place "underwater" I think nemo and ariel and characters from atlantis, 20,000 leagues, etc. would get along very well together.
                                Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                                Help support the site you love:
                                -Visit the MiceChat store
                                Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                                MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

I don't see any reason not overlay ALL of them. I mean why can't they seemingly all exsist in one underwater environment. LM, Nemo, Atlantis even 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...it would be fun to for the ride to be like a lame sub tour when all of a sudden you start seeing things that you normally wouldn't...your skipper starts pointing out strange sites-

"Look there is a mermaid and over there is the ruins of the Atlantis expedition." etc

Comment

I've said it soooo many times

create Discoveryland or maybe even Exploration land would be a more better name (I sentence you to death by GRAMMER!!!)

you get to Explore the Mountains (Matterhorn) and Explore the ocean (Subs and maybe Aquatopia) and Explore the highway (Autopia) and even Explore the Grand Canyon (Exploration land Trainstop)
                                    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

um, I think I JUST SAID THAT! J/K you know I love ya schucks- we just think too much alike
                                      Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                                      Help support the site you love:
                                      -Visit the MiceChat store
                                      Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                                      MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqueen
                                        um, I think I JUST SAID THAT! J/K you know I love ya schucks- we just think too much alike
                                        Dang- I skimmed your thing and just wrote my own and it was already said, damn. Do you have a hot sister or something who also likes Disney? Dang you are friggen sweet *does Napolean impression*

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X