Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anaheim and SoCal attractions (other than Disneyland)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anaheim and SoCal attractions (other than Disneyland)

Hello all, We'll be visiting Disneyland again next month during the big Spring Break weeks. We're annual passholders now with plans to get enough use out of our passes to make their purchase worthwhile, so spending all day each day at D-land is not necessary. We don't enjoy ourselves when it's TOO crowded and are pretty good at getting up early to get into the parks at opening.
    So, my plan is to visit early in the day until we get tired of fighting our way through the crowds and then go back to the hotel for a rest, then head off in some other direction.
    So, what's your favorite alternative attraction within 30-45 miles of Disneyland?
    TIA!

Re: Anaheim and SoCal attractions (other than Disneyland)

Buena Park is a good choice, only a few miles away from Disneyland.

The Knott's Southern Calfornia Resort has both the classic Knott's Berry Farm, and Knott's Soak City (Doesn't open until May), plus the famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant.

Also near the resort is Ripley's Believe it or Not!, good for a couple of hours of fun.

And two Dinner Shows, Medieval Times and the Pirate's Dinner Theater.

If you want to stretch the time to about an hour, you could head to Universal Studios Citywalk and/or Hollywood. Parking at the Universal City subway station (parking is free), you can take the free shuttle to Citywalk and then get on the subway and get off at either Hollywood and Highland or Hollywood and Vine, check and see if they have tickets to Jimmy Kimmel Live, his studio is next door to the El Capitan.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Knott's Berry Farm
      Queen Mary and other parts of Long Beach
      Expostion Park in downtown LA
      Orange County coastal towns
      One of the Los Angeles Conservancy Walking Tours
      Hollywood
      Hungtington Library and Gardens
      Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena
      Los Angeles County Art Museum
      The Getty
      The Getty in Malibu (but it's booked solid through summer)
      Warner Bros. Studio Tour
      The Bowers Museum Santa Ana
      "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

knotts berry farm

i love sea world in san diego

Friends for life

Comment

Why would you want to go anywhere else? Well, if you have to, take Darkbeer's suggestion.
          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Knott's Berry Farm
            Sea World
            Universal Studios Hollywood

Comment

I heartily recommend the LA Zoo and Gene Autry's Museum of the American West, basically next door to each other

The Aquarium in Long Beach (not sure of the exact name) and the Queen Mary

And if you are into sports check out -

Hockey - the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, at the Pond (about 3 miles east of the DLR)
              The LA Kings at Staples Center Downtown
              NBA Basketball...
              The LA Clippers and Lakers, also at Staples
              And depending on when you are here in March, several games of the second round of the World Baseball Classic are being played at Angel Stadium March 12-16...better check on tix now for that if interested...
              Hope this helps...
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Our trip is a long way off, we are coming in August. I was wondering. We are staying at the Hilton Anaheim. Does anyone know, if there are any shuttles that leave from that hotel that will take you to any of the area beaches?. We have one day, where we might not do Disneyland. (
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

The beach!! I love surfing.

Comment

Ikea, Ikea, Ikea I can never drive to DLR and not visit Ikea. Even the kids love it! This is where they get their "souvenirs" instead of DLR, cute toys! Great food, can't go wrong.

Comment

Check out Medeivel Times, it's hearty meals and fierce fights among knights. Whoo boy! What an exhilerating experience.
                      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior
                        Check out Medeivel Times, it's hearty meals and fierce fights among knights. Whoo boy! What an exhilerating experience.
                        I agree that place is really fun. Plus the meal is so good, chicken and dragon soup yum. I'm hungry now. It's a bit pricey though, like $20-30 something a person isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by EagleWings
                          I agree that place is really fun. Plus the meal is so good, chicken and dragon soup yum. I'm hungry now. It's a bit pricey though, like $20-30 something a person isn't it?
                          yes. But, it's well worth it, and memorable. Last time I was there my server was "Wench Jen" (my name for her)...talk about a character...and cute too.
                          To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann
                            Our trip is a long way off, we are coming in August. I was wondering. We are staying at the Hilton Anaheim. Does anyone know, if there are any shuttles that leave from that hotel that will take you to any of the area beaches?. We have one day, where we might not do Disneyland. (
                            BarbaraAnn - I don't know about shuttles - others I am sure are more up to speed. Alternatives might include a car rental. And I do know that (while this might not be the best alternative), Orange County Transit Authority local buses can take you from the DLR area to beaches such as Huntington, Newport, and Laguna - pictures of which, you can see in the Ocean Pictures for Makuna Hakarla thread...

Here's a link to get an idea of where buses can take you...sorry, no "el" trains here...

http://www.octa.net

Hope it helps, and I hope to meet you in August, even if my SoCal passport is blocked out...

PS...It's baseball training camp time..let's go Cubbies...and good luck to the White Sox, unless they are playing my Angels of course.

Barry
                            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Hobby City...if they haven't turned it into condos already that is. I remember going there as a kid and checking out the White House replica and riding the train. I think it's called "Adventure City" or something now. This area is being demolished to make way for condos (then again, what part of SoCal ISN'T turning into condos) but it might still be open for a little while.

Anyone else remember when the train was the biggest "ride" there? My favorite shop was the arts and crafts shop, I must've bought so much stuff there at one time. All over now though. I hope whoever pays $800,000 for a 2-bedroom condo where that store once stood appreciates the memories they've crushed. Anyway, good place to visit if it's still standing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X