Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Hollywood Tower inspire the Tower of Terror???

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Hollywood Tower inspire the Tower of Terror???

From Wikipedia:

In Hollywood, California, visible from Highway 101, is the Hollywood Tower apartments on Franklin Avenue. A plaque by the front door states: "HOLLYWOOD TOWER. 1929. SOPHISTICATED LIVING FOR FILM LUMINARIES DURING THE "GOLDEN AGE" OF HOLLYWOOD. PLACED ON THE REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF INTERIOR."

Was this building the inspiration for the original Tower of Terror and all subsequent clones? The sign at the top of the building looks very similar.

http://www.woodsontheweb.com/images/...Tower_BImg.jpg

Re: Did the Hollywood Tower inspire the Tower of Terror???

From what I've heard, the ToT was based on the real Hollywood Tower, and it's archy style was based on a myriad of Hotel designs, including the Mission Inn, and others.
    -Monorail Man

Comment

I thought it came after the Disney movie the Tower of Terror - pretty cheesy movie - but great ride.
      sigpic
      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

the promotional materal from 94 said it was inspired from the real holloywood tower building. it does look like it.

The movie did not come out until 1997. in fact, that movie might be the reason why we had other ride based movies like Pirates and HM. (Not that any of us like the HM)

Comment

okay, I'll admit it - I like the Haunted Mansion movie!
          sigpic

Comment

hmm.. I guess it is possible that someone out there liked it.

i'm just glad that they are not adding eddie murphy to the ride like Pirates is getting Depp.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude
              the promotional materal from 94 said it was inspired from the real holloywood tower building. it does look like it.

The movie did not come out until 1997. in fact, that movie might be the reason why we had other ride based movies like Pirates and HM. (Not that any of us like the HM)
              It cracks me up that nobody even remembers The Country Bears movie.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I own that too - my kids really like it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monorail1
                  From Wikipedia:

In Hollywood, California, visible from Highway 101, is the Hollywood Tower apartments on Franklin Avenue. A plaque by the front door states: "HOLLYWOOD TOWER. 1929. SOPHISTICATED LIVING FOR FILM LUMINARIES DURING THE "GOLDEN AGE" OF HOLLYWOOD. PLACED ON THE REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF INTERIOR."

Was this building the inspiration for the original Tower of Terror and all subsequent clones? The sign at the top of the building looks very similar.

http://www.woodsontheweb.com/images/...Tower_BImg.jpg
                  I have seen the hollywood tower apartments as well (whene ver we drive through hollywood) and every time I wonder if that was the inspriation for the TOT.. I think it could be.. it makes sense you know, it does

Friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen
                    okay, I'll admit it - I like the Haunted Mansion movie!
                    oh I thought it was a great movie, until I saw it....
                    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Same here. I was really looking forward to seeing it... then it all went black.
                      BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                      October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                      October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                      July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                      July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                      February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                      February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                      TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I had mild expectations for the Haunted Mansion movie; after all, a movie as good as Pirates is a fluke, otherwise more films would be as good.

I liked Haunted Mansion. It wasn't great, but it was fun. Though I'd hate it if they had modified the ride to reflect the movie at all. For a while it was as if Disney felt anything they sent to a cineplex was gold and worthy of enshrinement in the park (Game Grid of Tron, anyone?).

By the way, I'm familiar with the Mission Inn; I'd like to know what they took from there as inspiration for ToT.

Comment

Sorry, I don't see any similarities at all between the two buildings.

I'm certainly no architectual expert, but the real one seems based on French provincial/chateau style, with its large hip roof.

The Disney version seems to rely heavily on Spanish revival/Moorish elements like domes, with a certain art deco feel about it.

I have a small collection of books on Los Angeles and Hollywood history; I don't recall seeing any local hotels with domes.

The Mission Inn in Riverside may have been an inspiration, but then, it's mostly based on Mission Revival style--although it's pretty eclectic.

About the only thing I can see inspiring Disney was the name. They sound pretty similar...
                          Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 02-24-2006, 01:52 PM.

Comment

It looks as though they got the inspiration for the sign being on the outside from the Hollywood Tower, unless it was the style of how they displayed the name then..

Comment

I'll check my books on old Hollywood, but I believe that sign style and location was typical of the era.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X