This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with scale and distance

Good morning. After multiple trips to Orlando, my wife and I are finally making a trip to Disneyland. Her first since she was 8. My first since I was 3. I'm having a hard time getting a sense of scale and distance at the Disneyland Resort looking at cartoon maps and photos from airplanes. I've been to WDW enough times to know how long Main Street is and how far away the buses are from the main gate. Or how far the walk is from Downtown Disney Eastside to Westside. Or even the walking distance from the Hard Rock Hotel to the Islands of Adventure gates at Universal Florida.

Can someone help me get a sense of perspective? What is a comparable distance walking from a hotel like the Candycane Inn or the Howard Johnson to the front of the parks. And from there to the Disneyland hotel? Or from California Screamin' to the Matterhorn.

This may be the first of several "odd question" posts from me. My regular Disney board is so WDW focused that questions about Disneyland fall on deaf ears.

Re: Help with scale and distance

Originally posted by Budke
    Good morning. After multiple trips to Orlando, my wife and I are finally making a trip to Disneyland. Her first since she was 8. My first since I was 3. I'm having a hard time getting a sense of scale and distance at the Disneyland Resort looking at cartoon maps and photos from airplanes. I've been to WDW enough times to know how long Main Street is and how far away the buses are from the main gate. Or how far the walk is from Downtown Disney Eastside to Westside. Or even the walking distance from the Hard Rock Hotel to the Islands of Adventure gates at Universal Florida.

Can someone help me get a sense of perspective? What is a comparable distance walking from a hotel like the Candycane Inn or the Howard Johnson to the front of the parks. And from there to the Disneyland hotel? Or from California Screamin' to the Matterhorn.

This may be the first of several "odd question" posts from me. My regular Disney board is so WDW focused that questions about Disneyland fall on deaf ears.
    Welcome!

All walks are short enough, unless mobility is an issue.
    I think someone here (or at mousepad, mouseplanet's discussion board) has determined via pedometer the distance from Toontown (northernmost point) to Paradise Pier (southernmost point). I don't think it's more than 1.25 miles, but I might be mistaken.
    As with any theme park trip, efficiency in walking is a key. I wouldn't want to walk from DL to the DL Hotel more than once a day, except for emergencies. There is the monorail, which you can take from Tomorrowland (yes, inside the park!!) to the DL Hotel. I wouldn't want to go to DCA more than once a day (if I were actually so inclined to go that often), so back-and-forth between parks is a bit too much walking vs enjoying.

Comment

Its not a bad walk at all from either of those hotels to the Entrance Plaza. Basically just walk down Harbor to the light and cross the street, through the parking lot tram area then BAM there you are! I'd say its maybe 1/4 of a mile, ish. Probably take ya 5-10 minutes to walk to either gate, depending on crowds.

Comment

As has been said above. After your walks around WDW, you will be shocked how short the walks are around Disneyland and the whole DLR.
        Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

My wife and I prefer to stay at the Candy Cane, and it is about a 15 minute walk from the park. They have a free shuttle service, and I can usually walk faster than wait for the shuttle.

Comment

And now, question two

Originally posted by karmannman
            My wife and I prefer to stay at the Candy Cane, and it is about a 15 minute walk from the park. They have a free shuttle service, and I can usually walk faster than wait for the shuttle.
            We already have reservations at the Park Inn. Made them before we learned that the Candy Cane wasn't some 10-unit motel on the side of a blue highway somewhere (which, admittedly, is what it sounds like to someone who has never been in the area before). And then we learn it is number one on several reputable lists. Oh well.

I'll try question two here instead of starting another thread. Just saw an aerial photo of the resort during DCA construction and (again, coming from a background of Florida vacations) was surprised to see how many hotels and hotel rooms seem to be squeezed into such a small space across from the parks. The hotels look like sardines from the air. Does it feel that crowded on the ground?

Comment

Outside the park it feels very "urban".

Comment

Re: And now, question two

I'll try question two here instead of starting another thread. Just saw an aerial photo of the resort during DCA construction and (again, coming from a background of Florida vacations) was surprised to see how many hotels and hotel rooms seem to be squeezed into such a small space across from the parks. The hotels look like sardines from the air. Does it feel that crowded on the ground?
                Yes. Here, you are not in the middle of somewhere in the middle of nowhere. But it's better than the somewhere that surrounds it.

Do note that the area of land that eventually became WDW is so much larger than what the parks and roads of WDW consume, BECAUSE of these motels that are right across the street from Disneyland. You'll be staying in a little slice of WDW history.

Comment

We already have reservations at the Park Inn. Made them before we learned that the Candy Cane wasn't some 10-unit motel on the side of a blue highway somewhere (which, admittedly, is what it sounds like to someone who has never been in the area before). And then we learn it is number one on several reputable lists. Oh well.

Everything in California is crowded. There is a great atmosphere around the parks and everyone is walking or taking the Disney Shuttle (it's like $3 or something for all day).

Regarding your hotel room, did you make some sort of special arrangement (such as Priceline.com) or something? Why can't you just change your hotel if you want to stay somewhere else? Most hotels have a "cancel by 6pm the day before check-in".
                  I'm addicted and I don't care!!! :yea:

Comment

Originally posted by peoplemover1
                    Regarding your hotel room, did you make some sort of special arrangement (such as Priceline.com) or something? Why can't you just change your hotel if you want to stay somewhere else? Most hotels have a "cancel by 6pm the day before check-in".
                    We haven't heard anything bad about the Park Inn either (or at least that it has a good continental breakfast which we may or may not partake in). And the price per night is good. Although I must say I'm a bit flummoxed by their website. You'd think they'd play up the proximity to Disneyland as a selling point. But if you didn't dig for it, you wouldn't be aware it was near the park at all. We do have months before we arrive (early May), but we are inclined to just let things be as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ni_teach
                      As has been said above. After your walks around WDW, you will be shocked how short the walks are around Disneyland and the whole DLR.
                      I was trying to envision how the layout of the Universal Florida parks might compare, as they have two parks side by side with Citywalk across from them. Walking from the Hard Rock hotel, it was almost odd how close we were (although probably not as "urban" as Disneyland (of course, speederscouts' line makes me think of 30 story office towers).

Comment

To give you a sense of "perspective" as you asked, Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure together comprise roughly the same acreage as Epcot by itself. Thus a walk from the Matterhorn to Screamin would be like walking from Spaceship Earth in FW to the American Pavillion in WS with an exit and entrance turnstyle where FW and WS come together.

I would guess that a walk from the Park Inn (never stayed there) to DL's main gate would be closer (maybe half as much) than walking from the Contempory Hotel to the main entrance of WDW's Magic Kingdom. Ever walked from Port Oleans French Quarter resort over to the PO Riverside? About that far.

Hope that gives you some "scale."

Comment

I was trying to envision how the layout of the Universal Florida parks might compare, as they have two parks side by side with Citywalk across from them. Walking from the Hard Rock hotel, it was almost odd how close we were (although probably not as "urban" as Disneyland (of course, speederscouts' line makes me think of 30 story office towers).
                          By "urban" we mean, "No naturally growing turf, no free-flowing dirt-bed streams, no forest, etc."
                          You'll get a good sense of what we mean when you fly in. If it's in daylight, then you'll see houses and other non-natural buildings for a good 45 minutes of descent. If it's nighttime, you'll get streetlights for the same amount of time.

Comment

The Park Inn is just fine, no worries. Have fun!
                            A signature should go here.

Comment

Originally posted by ganggreen4jc
                              To give you a sense of "perspective" as you asked, Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure together comprise roughly the same acreage as Epcot by itself. Thus a walk from the Matterhorn to Screamin would be like walking from Spaceship Earth in FW to the American Pavillion in WS with an exit and entrance turnstyle where FW and WS come together.
                              That IS the perspective I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Originally posted by ganggreen4jc
                              Ever walked from Port Oleans French Quarter resort over to the PO Riverside? About that far.
                              I have, but so so long ago it was till called Dixie Landings.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X