This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matterhorn climbing routes ratings?

Was listening today to an official DL podcast talking about the Matterhorn and the climbers. They named some specific routes up the Matterhorn, but never talked about the ratings of those routes.

Does anyone know the full list of climbing routes and their ratings?

Re: Matterhorn climbing routes ratings?

Ratings?

It's not even a real mountain. Besides, it would hardly even rate a 5.7, if they were brave enough to freeclimb. They use ropes and pitons the whole way up, all 160 feet of it. I've climbed staircases that are taller!

Comment

Did you even listen to the podcast? These guys are real climbers, not just castmembers. That is, they climb real rock in the real world. And apparently, there are several climbs on the Matterhorn that have not been completed yet, so I'm guessing they're not all 5.7s. But this is why I asked the question.

Also, I'm guessing you are NOT a climber yourself. If you were you'd know that ratings are not based on the height of a climb or whether or not you use ropes. Ropes are there for safety and so that you can attempt a climb that might be beyond your ability. I've climbed 50 foot outdoor climbing walls with 5.13s and 5.14s where you'd die without a belay.

Anyway, the question still stands: what are the ratings on the climbs on the DL Matterhorn? And hopefully this time a climber, preferably one who has worked at DL will answer.

Comment

I'm going to second Sosai X. Matterhorn mountain climbing is obviously just for show. I mean, when you have a guy in a Mickey outfit with obstructed vision, oversized head, and bulky shoes going up it regularly, it's hard to see it as thrilling and death-defying.

Comment

Can anyone climb the matterhorn? I have a brother that is an avid climber and would absolutely love the chance to do that. How do you go about getting permission?
          sigpic
          Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

A complete list of the climbs is pretty lengthy, let's say they range anywhere from 5.4 to 5.14, so they're all free climbs. The more extreme ones have either been done once, or are incomplete; a rating on a climb like this would be an estimate. And Mojave is right, the rating of the climb technically has nothing to do with the height. It is a rating of the difficulty in actually moving up the rock.

Mickey climbs a straightforward route that he is familiar with due to repeated ascents. The "other" climbers typically do climbs that are equal in difficulty, or most often more challenging. The emphasis is safety and entertainment, not "death-defying".

Sorry, you have to be a CM to climb!
            Last edited by MountainBob; 03-07-2006, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Also if you notice.. alot of the time mickey's stepping on a stair like pattern...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
              ~

Comment

I don't imagine that the cast members climb any of the harder routes while the park is open; it wouldn't look good for one of them to take a screaming whipper in front of guests. A friend of mine did once apply for a job as a Disneyland climber; he changed his mind however when he found that his handlebar moustache would have to go.

Comment

Ugh I can't imagine doing that climb in a Mickey costume, even if there are stair like patterns on the side of the mountain. I wonder if Mickey has ever slipped, only to be dangled off the side of the mountain by the safety harnesses?
                  I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                  sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Wow, you guys make it sound like climbing that thing would be easy. :lol:
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse