Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the quarterly teleconferences, Disney (in specific Tom Staggs) has been reporting that Disneyland Resort, Anaheim attendance has basically remained flat for the period of October thru December 2004...
    The only reason the resort total was down late last year and early this year was because of the huge storms we were getting. I think we are in for a extremely busy summer.

Comment

Fast pass or no fast pass....POTC was extremely crowded....couldn't see the end of the line from the Mark Twain paddle boat!
      Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
      it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

That's what my little sis just said- she said yesterday all the fastpasses were gone by 2:00- they didn't get to do much of anything!
        Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
        Help support the site you love:
        -Visit the MiceChat store
        Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
        MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqueen
          How has removing FP from attractions like HM and Porates helped with the "crowded" feeling of the park? I know the goal in removing it was to make walkways feel less jam packed.

Anyone care to comment on this?
          I sure didn't see a difference this week, but the place was packed all day every day. The worst was Adventureland which, with the Jungle Cruise down, out to be renamed GoNowhereLand.

One thing that I did notice was that on a couple of fastpass attractions, the queues were being used to a greater extent, thereby making fastpass less helpful. Both the Indy and Star Tours queues were nearly full. So even with fastpass, there were still comparatively long waits.

OTOH, Pirates was zigzaging all over the place, including down the side next to the treehouse and in front, up and over the bridge. Posted wait time was 50 minutes, actual wait time was 25. Ditto with Mansion, where even with the queue overflowing, the wait seemed less than 30 minutes (didn't time it).

What I don't understand is why they continue to run attractions at partial capacity until late morning. At 9am, an hour after opening, Big Thunder was still running only two trains and the line was backed up all the way to the entrance. It wasn't until 10 before they added a third. Autopia also ran partial until well into the morning despite a line that ran all the way out to the entrance.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

Comment

According to Marcie at Mouseinfo, DL max capacity is 48,000 people at any given time.

Daily capacity is higher as people come and go... somewhat random since they can't really control if the people that came at 9:00 leave by 6:00 in the evening.

Comment

Yeah, it was busy. Candy Palace broke another sales record- for the third time in as many months.

Spring Break, and a beautiful (not raining!) day, it was somewhat expected.

I am not sure on the exact total capacity of the park, but I coulda sworn it was around in the 60Ks- though I grant that the capacity number is subject to change.

Earlier this year attendance was crazy low because (1) The almost biblical amount of rain received, and (2) in preparation for the 50th, almost every single attraction was closed for refurbishment and every single building was covered in construction scrims, no Fantasmic, no Fireworks, and no parade (please do not chime in that the Cavalcade was a parade, it was not).
              The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDaddy

What I don't understand is why they continue to run attractions at partial capacity until late morning. At 9am, an hour after opening, Big Thunder was still running only two trains and the line was backed up all the way to the entrance. It wasn't until 10 before they added a third. Autopia also ran partial until well into the morning despite a line that ran all the way out to the entrance.
                This infuriates me also. I waited for half an hour to get on Big Thunder yesterday at 9:00. Why can't another train be put on?
                Pirates and HM, as you said, had extremely long lines (it was amusing to watching guests who got in line for Pirates and then had no idea what they were actually in line for) but the queue moved amazingly quickly. I think Pirates broke down, but maintenance was there instantly and the problem was fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy999
                  Anyone Attendance today - 61000

Just an FYI. This attendance numer is wrong... it's waaaaay off!
                  ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDreamer
                    This infuriates me also. I waited for half an hour to get on Big Thunder yesterday at 9:00. Why can't another train be put on?
                    Pirates and HM, as you said, had extremely long lines (it was amusing to watching guests who got in line for Pirates and then had no idea what they were actually in line for) but the queue moved amazingly quickly. I think Pirates broke down, but maintenance was there instantly and the problem was fixed.
                    I think it has to do with the fact that they plan schedules in advance and if the attendence is higher than expected they can't add capacity quickly. I did some computer work for ODV a few years ago, and they deploy carts based on projected attendence, and the schedules are worked out many days in advance. I believe they use the same basic formulas for staffing attractions too...

I'd like to hear from some CMs in the know about how they currently plan for staffing levels...

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
                      According to Marcie at Mouseinfo, DL max capacity is 48,000 people at any given time.

Daily capacity is higher as people come and go... somewhat random since they can't really control if the people that came at 9:00 leave by 6:00 in the evening.
                      That is wrong because that is about average. On New Years they are over 80,000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer
                        Capacity at the parks is a number that is always in flux.... it is based on attractions open, and open space in the parks. (Fire Marshall rules).... It has been as low as under 70,000, but with most attractions open, it is closer to 80,000 (if not a bit higher)... Now, when Space Mountain is open, and all other attractions are up and running without any major construction, we should get close to 85,000, though it might be less depending on the current Anaheim Fire rules...
                        absolutely correct!
                        -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
                        -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
                        --DCA: World Of Color

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyfreak
                          That is wrong because that is about average. On New Years they are over 80,000 people.
                          not recently. Last year we were well under 80K. Marcie (whoever that is) at Mouseinfo is wrong too. We were WAY over 48K yesterday.
                          -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"

Comment

Originally posted by AP2CM
                            not recently. Last year we were well under 80K. Marcie (whoever that is) at Mouseinfo is wrong too. We were WAY over 48K yesterday.
                            Well I know this Sat it was packed to the gills with a 180 min wait for Splash Mountain, 120 min wait for Indy. Even Star Tours had a 60 min wait. I mean that is way over 48,000. It must have been like 70,000 yesterday.

Also many of the rides broke down yesterday. Splash was down for over 2 hours, Buzz broke, and Indy broke.

Comment

Well I know this Sat it was packed to the gills with a 180 min wait for Splash Mountain, 120 min wait for Indy. Even Star Tours had a 60 min wait. I mean that is way over 48,000. It must have been like 70,000 yesterday.

Also many of the rides broke down yesterday. Splash was down for over 2 hours, Buzz broke, and Indy broke.
                              you're still about 10K too high. Remember though, there are 2 very different figures to consider: total in-park and peak attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by AP2CM
                                you're still about 10K too high. Remember though, there are 2 very different figures to consider: total in-park and peak attendance.
                                Hmmmm... Comment suppressed!

Comment

I just returned from DLR today. I would say it was Moderately heavily crowded - really not bad. Fastpasses for SM and Indy were out sometime after 15:00.

Comment

If you take 12 million and divide by 365 you come up with an average daily attendance of about 33K per day.

Now, we all know that off-season weekdays are below this, and summer is above this, with holiday's way above this.

But, let's take your New Years Eve figure of 80,000. Park opens at 8:00 and by 1:00, 48,000 people have entered the park.... Then, some start to move over to DCA... say 5,000. So another 5,000 people are let into DL to maintain the 48,000 max in-park. Then 6:00 PM rolls around and families that have been in the park since 8:00 AM have exhausted kids, so they start heading out. Say 10,000 people... Another 10,000 are let into Disneyland to maintain the 48,000 max in park. Then 10:00 PM hits and Fantasmic ends and another big chunk of people leave, say, 10,000, so another 10,000 are let in to replace them...

Peak attendance is 48,000 (max number of people inside DL at any given time). Total park attendnace for the day (in this pretend example) is 73,000.

Comment

While capacity is truly measured by total "in-park" guests at any time, a lot of things are taken into consideration, and is not just a "static" number (such as 48,000).

As mentioned before, the first thing that must be taken into consideration is construction that could close or restict emergency exits around the park. Also, repavement projects that elminate "open space", also each attraction has a capacity based on the amount of folks that can be on the ride, and in it's cue at one time. If the ride is closed, total park capacity goes down, and that can change during the day due to rides going "101". Also, Disney uses good old visual observations (as does the Fire Marshall) to see the impact of guests in their ability to move on the walkways (Remember, capacity is a safety issue, in which the guests can get out of the park in a reasonable quick manner if some major incident happened).

Disney works with the Fire Marshall to come up with the "official" numbers. The big one is true "Fire Marshall" capacity, in which the park has reached the number the Anaheim Fire Marshall has detiremined to be for the day, based on the factors mentioned above.

Then Disney has come up with their own set of numbers, which are set at lower limits...

The first number sets of a change at the Ticket Windows, which they stop selling tickets for that park (for example, Disneyland), and then offers a DCA ticket, sometimes with a special mark to allow parkhopping at no extra charge, after a certain time. (Disney is constantly studying the park traffic flows, and knows that on certain days, a large amount of people will leave at a certain time, say in this example, 5 PM). They could allow folks to enter DL after 6 PM with the special ticket.

The next number has the Ticket Booth stop offering any Multi-Day tickets that would be valid for that day, basically stopping all sells of admission media.

The next number has Disney restrict the amount of guests entering the park, to match the amount of guests leaving. (Ever notice, they make you use a exit turnstyle at any time the park is open, but then open the gates when the park has "closed". There is no need to count folks leaving at that time, since they know everyone left in the park will be leaving in the next hour.) This number is just under the official "Fire Marshall" number, and is designed, if all works correctly, that the Fire Marshall will never have to step in and say... "The Park is closed to new guests". This allows Disney to make exceptions for Club 33 folks, and other folks they want to let in.

But sometimes a glitch happens, or just the Fire Marshall numbers were a bit higher than they should be... The Fire Marshall can observe and step in anytime they want, and say the park is over-crowded, and that nobody can enter the park until "x" amount of guests have left.

Disney prefers to keep control, and that is a good business decision.

But there is no set "maximum" number, unless you want to say "If every attraction is open, and all guests areas are available, the number is".... And everytime a refurb project add or deletes open space (bascailly walkways) the number changes.

So, the park never did hit "capacity" in the last few days, even though the Parking Marquee's stated that Disneyland was Full (Friday and Saturday), and that single day tickets were not being sold in the afternoon. Any guest with a ticket could enter at their leasure. So while the park got some large numbers, and were close to capacity, the park made sure it never got to capacity.....

But on July 17th, you might have a problem, mainly with those folks that have pre-purchased ParkHoppers and Premium AP holders. Too many of them might show up, forcing the turnstyles to "hard close", restriciting entry, and those who leave the park to parkhop, grab a bite at DtD, go back to the hotel room, etc.. would also have to wait in a line to return to the park, based on others who are leaving.

When the park stops selling other types of tickets, it also stops selling AP Blockout passes (which have to be purchased the day of use).

Anyways, this is why folks are suggesting that you arrive early on July 17th, and plan to stay in the park (use lockers, etc. instead of leaving stuff in the car/hotel room).
                                      Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

A CM at the ticket booth said they stopped selling tickets at 1pm on 3-26 and it was probably going to be the same way on the day I was there, 3-27 ... the conversation came up when I was buying an AP

Comment

Originally posted by AStarOnMars
                                          A CM at the ticket booth said they stopped selling tickets at 1pm on 3-26 and it was probably going to be the same way on the day I was there, 3-27 ... the conversation came up when I was buying an AP
                                          There were no issues on the 27th, thank goodness! On another note, the numbers quoted about Friday's attendance in this thread are still wrong (not that anyone seems to care)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X