Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what do you think? (more Pixar-based attractions)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fearsnda
    replied
    Originally posted by MiceMan
    I think that the incredibles themed ride could be amazing ... but I really dislike the woody's roundup idea. REALLY REaLLY!
    I agree! Woody's Roundup? The whole concept sucks on so many levels! What a perfectly horrid idea. I am in agreement with everyone else... blech to the Pixar ideas!

BTW, did anyone notice that the Robocoaster specs have a Weight limit of 440 pounds... That's not very practicle and would never pass muster for a Disney ride (which are always accomodating to heavy folks).

- FNDA

Leave a comment:

• SuperDisneyDad
    replied
    Shorter lifespan for 3D animated movies

What happened to original ideas? I love Pixar movies, but because they are so technology based, they look dated very quickly. This is the primary reason why these type of movies sort of flame out after a couple of years. Investing millions on characters whose appeal may not last is not great idea. The Incredibles looks great now, but it will look just as dated "A Bug's life" in a few years.

The advantage of 2D animation over 3D animation is that hand drawn art isn't as technology based. Therefore, it will age better. Don't get me wrong, I love 3D animation, but it has its limits.

Leave a comment:

• ah schucks
    replied
    After reading the article, I am of the opinion that if they feel compelled to create a "Woody" ride, at least the location is off the beaten path, in an area that has suffered follies for years since the demise of the bbq. The transitional territory feels right and seems to be a great location for a ride.

That said, having read several posts about Frontierland expansions- I do like the classic American Folktale idea a little more, pulling classic Disney incarnations of Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed and John Henry into a more inclusive dark ride, that has slightly more advanced ride technology. I wouldn't mind seeing them adapt the Toyko Winne the Pooh technology of self propelled ride vehicles that use hidden floor sensors to guide themselves independently of a track.

As far the Incredible's ride, I am sorry but I would prefer the money for the e-ticket be spent on improving and replaining the park as we have been so apt to discuss on this site. Most agree it needs some overhauls and retheming. If in fact the Incredible's ride is developed I hope it does not become its own land, because "oh yeah, California is sure known for its superhero population!"

Lastly I am excited that the source from the WDI mentioned that they were routing for the new live-action "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Chiken Little." At least they acknowledge that putting all faith in Pixar related products and designs is not a sound long term strategy for the company. The classic animation department should take a respite to refocuse and create new products that follow the old cues from Walt. While at the sametime new live action projects like Herbie Reloaded (or whatever they are calling it) and POTC sequels will fuels non-animation tie ins for the park; I hope.

Still skeptical about the article but hopefull for the future of DL and DCA.

Leave a comment:

• Importance
    replied
    The Incredibles ride in Disney's California Adventure? Say it isn't so. There is no connection to the California theme at all. If you are going to dilute the California theme with no grand master plan, you'll likely make the park worse, not better.

The robocoaster looks like an excellent ride concept. Imagine if they put it into Condor Flats as a "Test Pilot" ride. It doesn't have to be generic, maybe theme it retro-60s style ... but don't waste Timon on something that makes no sense in the park.

Leave a comment:

• DoppelV
    replied
    This is not my favorite idea, but maybe it could work.

I noticed, when watching the iNCREDIBLES that on Syndrome's Island there is a monorail-like conveyance that resembles both a throwback James Bond concept, but in a way resembles the peoplemover. What if a hybrid peoplemover-incredibles ride could be designed around the existing track and indoor segments of the abandoned peoplemover track? That would be kinda cool. It wouldn't be as fun as a new concept attraction, but I think the PM track would be better suited for something like this than sitting vacant.

Just an idea!

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by JackJackstwin
    I think that an Incredibles ride, if done correctly, could be a really awesome ride. I mean I've seen some comments on Buzz from people and they have said its a good ride. Who really knows Monster Inc. in DCA could be just as good.
    But again, recycling the track and vehicle innards of SSL, a so-so-at-best movie tie-in, and a razor thin budget... most likely it'll be worse than Pooh.

Really, considering CM Matt is the one throwing money at Buzz and Space, but giving so little to Monsters, it seems more and more likely that Monsters is intended only as a temporary filler to spread out the 50th Celebration momentum through 2006, then be able to bulldoze SSM along with Millionaire and Hollywood and Dine without feeling like the minimal money spent on SSM was wasted.

Leave a comment:

• JackJackstwin
    replied
    I think that an Incredibles ride, if done correctly, could be a really awesome ride. I mean I've seen some comments on Buzz from people and they have said its a good ride. Who really knows Monster Inc. in DCA could be just as good.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by grvtydefy
    I think that reason #2 you gave is huge, and I totally agree. The idea for a great ride needs to exist first, or the movie has to just scream MAKE ME A RIDE!!! ( Like I believe the Doors sequence of Monsters Inc. does, too bad that's not what the ride will be.) Just throwing characters somewhere because they are popular doesn't work well.
    See, that's all I'm saying. One of my favorite rides is Peter Pan, so the idea of turning the suspended car darkride into a true E ticket like a Monsters door ride would have been awesome. Even though I don't give two peachpits about Monsters inc.

You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to ike Star Tours. You don't have to be an indy fan to enjoy Forbidden Eye. But, from what I've seen and read so far, you reay woud have to be a Woody fan to appreciate this Frontierand expansion, or to get any added vaue from the Cars overay on Autopia. And don't get me started on SSM,I... :shiver:

The Robothingy proposed for Incredibles... I dunno. Seems a little too generic. Too show-based. If it were built to replace Soarin, fine. But then do they replace IT when the next simulator comes along? It seems like it has a really short shelf life. Adding a charactrer overlay doesn't seem like it'll help much. And throwing yet another unrelated concept into DCA simply because they need attractions and have some available space... that doesn't strike me as long-term thinking either.

Leave a comment:

• grvtydefy
    replied
    I think that reason #2 you gave is huge, and I totally agree. The idea for a great ride needs to exist first, or the movie has to just scream MAKE ME A RIDE!!! ( Like I believe the Doors sequence of Monsters Inc. does, too bad that's not what the ride will be.) Just throwing characters somewhere because they are popular doesn't work well.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Hmm, the people I go with actually think pooh is a step above the other Fantasyland Dark Rides (besides Peter Pan). I actually agree with them, but that's a completely different subject. I guess it's just a matter of opinion whether or not you like seeing Toon rides or not.
    I'm curious- How do you feel about Splash?
    Well, as I've stated elsewhere, Splash is good for two reasons. 1) Even though Disney won't release SotS, it is an Oscar-quaity film that stands the test of time. 2) Splash woud have been a good ride even without SotS characters. It's a fun drop, and even more impressive is the little flume "bunny hill" you take after one of the other drops. But Splash began as a RIDE that people wanted, and SotS was added later. But the current Disney approach seems to be to take current hits, and then to just put them in a Fantasyland dark ride, or even worse, as a cheap overlay for an FL-stye dark ride that was so bad it closed.

And, one last thought... most people I have gone on Pooh with think it lacks the storytelling of the FL dark rides, AND doesn't have any new effects. But, more importanty, they tend not to care much for the dark rides, OR they do want to go since they haven't been one one in ages, but they come away from most thinking they were better off having their pleasant chidhood memories, because the reality isn't very satisfying. Once you've seen the E Tickets of dark rides (PotC, HM, and even Indy and iasw), the FL versions tend to pale in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• grvtydefy
    replied
    Originally posted by ModHatter
    See, most non-Disney geeks I go to the park with ask questions like "What were they thinking with this Pooh ride? That was hideously boring." Rather than getting questions about why [insert movie name here] doesn't have a ride, I usually hear "why DOES this movie have a ride."
    Hmm, the people I go with actually think pooh is a step above the other Fantasyland Dark Rides (besides Peter Pan). I actually agree with them, but that's a completely different subject. I guess it's just a matter of opinion whether or not you like seeing Toon rides or not.
    I'm curious- How do you feel about Splash?

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    While I see your point ModHatter, I do think that besides us Disney Geeks, most people see nothing wrong with toon rides outside of Fantasyland (and ToonTown, now) Actually, whenever I'm at the parks with someone who is not a Disney Geek, they always ask, "Why is there no (insert name of Disney Animated Film here) ride? I loved that movie!" Now, I'm not saying that there should be a ride for every film- not at all. But I think that using cartoons outside of Fantasyland is not a problem. JSpider mentioned Splash Mountain- and I think that is a great example.
    See, most non-Disney geeks I go to the park with ask questions like "What were they thinking with this Pooh ride? That was hideously boring." Rather than getting questions about why [insert movie name here] doesn't have a ride, I usually hear "why DOES this movie have a ride."

That's the great thing about Walt's concept of Disneyland. He knew that he was doing more than animated films. Disney was about a LOT more than that. You can see this in the history of his television shows. He was essentially creating a Something For Everyone show, which previewd his Something For Everyone Land. So, a person could go to Disneyland and not have to be a fan of Disney animation to be a Disney fan. Disneyland had three original lands and Main St. that had virtually nothing to do with Disney animation. That gave it a broad appeal to Disney animation fans and non-fans alike. But as the park becomes more Toonified, it narrows the appeal of the park to just fans of Disney animated product. And let's face it, in this thread we're actually talking about Pixar animated product, which Disney won't have any more anyway without some skilled negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ModHatter
    Again, I can't help but go back to the same math...

Number of toon rides outside Fantasyland on opening day = 0
    Number of toon rides in New Orleans Square = 0
    Number of toon rides in New Tomorrowland '67 = 0

Toon rides only in Fantasyland = Walt
    Toon rides outside Fantasyland = Eisner

I like Walt's math better.
    I must agree with you ModHatter; however, if the attraction is appealing to guests, why not theme it? The reverse happened with POTC and HM. (I'm still waiting on IASW, lol.) But seriously, Buzz is VERY popular. The Star Wars connection is great too- I remember waiting in that line so long when I was little. Thank goodness for a queue line that can keep at 6 year old girl entertained, huh? 20,000 Leagues is just a live-action theme to a sub attraction. Indy is themed too. I totally understand the "cheezyness" of Pixar, but right now that is all Disney has to work on. Stitch, Buzz, Princesses, and Pixar characters sell and that is what guests like. If there were more live-action movies that could be viewed as "classics" and I'm not sure if National Treasure will fall into that category, then fine. But right now it's a world of CGI and that is what they are going with. Too bad it isn't more "even", so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• cellarhound
    replied
    Originally posted by Disneyfreak
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they need reality type characters for themes. These pixar rides are so cheezy. I went on buzz yesterday for the first time and it was so subpar for me. It was better then pooh but was still underwhelming. We need another ride like 20, 000 leagues under the sea or something. Pixar rides make Disneyland seem so fake and cheap because it seems like all they can accomplish these days is making a cardboard city for a set.
    It is extremely underwhelming, but only if you don't buy into the interactivity of the ride... I thought the interactivity was what made it fun...

I still say Pixar rides in DCA may be a good idea...

Leave a comment:

• grvtydefy
    replied
    While I see your point ModHatter, I do think that besides us Disney Geeks, most people see nothing wrong with toon rides outside of Fantasyland (and ToonTown, now) Actually, whenever I'm at the parks with someone who is not a Disney Geek, they always ask, "Why is there no (insert name of Disney Animated Film here) ride? I loved that movie!" Now, I'm not saying that there should be a ride for every film- not at all. But I think that using cartoons outside of Fantasyland is not a problem. JSpider mentioned Splash Mountain- and I think that is a great example.

Leave a comment:

• ModHatter
    replied
    Again, I can't help but go back to the same math...

Number of toon rides outside Fantasyland on opening day = 0
    Number of toon rides in New Orleans Square = 0
    Number of toon rides in New Tomorrowland '67 = 0

Toon rides only in Fantasyland = Walt
    Toon rides outside Fantasyland = Eisner

I like Walt's math better.

Leave a comment:

• Thriller
    replied
    No more movie based rides! If I want to "ride the movies", I'll go to Universal. Geesh. Please, bring back originality!

Leave a comment:

• Emelius_Browne
    replied
    Originally posted by Momzilla59
    I'm not so keen on the Pixar elements in Disneyland either, but face it, would you ride a ride based on Brother Bear or Home on the Range?
    Ack, I just threw up a little in my mouth :devil:

Leave a comment:

• Momzilla59
    replied
    I'm not so keen on the Pixar elements in Disneyland either, but face it, would you ride a ride based on Brother Bear or Home on the Range?
    :devil:
    I'd like to see something GOOD, and I'm not too particular on the theme. When I say Good I mean an E ticket ride - check out the new technology at
    http://archiv.kuka-roboter.de/roboco...sh/index2.html
    They have several videos - I'd sure love to ride a ride like This!

Leave a comment:

• Disneyfreak
    replied
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they need reality type characters for themes. These pixar rides are so cheezy. I went on buzz yesterday for the first time and it was so subpar for me. It was better then pooh but was still underwhelming. We need another ride like 20, 000 leagues under the sea or something. Pixar rides make Disneyland seem so fake and cheap because it seems like all they can accomplish these days is making a cardboard city for a set.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X