X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed fort on Tom Sawyer's island

WHY?

The last couple times we've been over there, the fort is all locked up! Hubby took a pick over the fence and just saw some big lights in there.

I remember LOVING it when I was little and wanted to let the boys run around in there...but alas - it's locked up tight!

Re: Closed fort on Tom Sawyer's island

The area is not safe for guests, as the walls are being held up with 2 by 4's. It is strictly used for staging the Fantasmic! show.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

It's been closed for years now. Years!
      A signature should go here.

Comment

What Darkbeer said. It's not structurally sound, plus after that little girl had that accident, I'm sure they were reluctant to put any money into fixing it back up.

Comment

Darn termites!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SusieP.
            It's been closed for years now. Years!
            Guess I hadn't been there in a while.

Comment

How would they go about fixing it up? How would they get the wood, or whatever they might use, to fix it up?
              Would they have to drain the RoA? Maybe next time they drain the RoA, they can consider refurb'ing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer
                the walls are being held up with 2 by 4's
                How sound of a plan is that?

"The whole thing is infested with termites. It can't hold itself up!"
                "Then prop up some 2x4s!"

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania

I think taking it down would also require draining RoA, unless they plan to use keel boats.

Comment

I doubt that Fantasmic will let them take back that space for guests to play in; last time I worked the island for F!, I peeked in there and saw some major equipment in use. I think that's the stage manager booth, though I'm just guessing.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania

LOL! We should totally put some more wood out there. Those termites will be hungry soon anyway...

Comment

Prop it up with some Pressure Treated 2x4's - the termites don't want to eat that, they don't live past the first course.

Too bad they didn't plan ahead and treat the logs when the fort was built, they built it like a movie set instead of a permanent building. And they had wood in direct ground contact, which was a four-lane highway in for the termites - a "stone" (concrete) foundation would have helped tremendously.

As to rebuilding it, they would have to take the Fort all the way down to the footings and start over with fresh logs - and a steel support structure underneath to meet today's building codes for public buildings. And it would cost them several million.

So unless someone comes up with a Really Good Reason to spend that kind of cash (a Sponsor for the attraction would do it) they'll just leave it there as set dressing, and keep it from falling down.

--<< Bruce >>--
                        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I say turn it into a showroom and have the ride enter from the BTR area and under the ROA a la Paris' Big Thunder.
                          Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

They should rebuild the fort so it's safe for both guests AND F! CM. And convert the unused northern half of TSI into a new dock for F! so they can put new barges or put the current barges here. Or of course it will be hidden from view and the waterway that leads to the dock can have beavers looking like they're building a dam there and put the keelboat there. Then when it's time to get F! ready, they move the keelboat out of the way and set up the barges.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                            -Jurassic Park

Comment

My hubby always says that they should reopen the fort...but I had heard several times in the past that it was closed because of security issues, like the Sleeping Beauty walk thru.
                              Funny this should come up, though. Just Sunday, DH and I were walking around the fort and I commented on the MEGA termite damage in the logs.
                              So, was the 'security issue' excuse just that? A convenient excuse? Hmmm. It's a shame. Would be nice to see them do something for guests to enjoy. Instead of just closing it up and using it for storage.
                              Originally posted by All4dISNEY
                              Words hurt.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X