• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xfkirsten
    I Hug My Tapirs
    • Jan 2005

Fantasmic Pyro Question

Okay, this question has been bugging me for awhile, and maybe someone here knows the answer. Does Fantasmic use cold fire pyrotechnics at all? It seems that in a stage show where the performers are relatively close to the pyro, it would be an added safety measure.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Disneyfreak
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Re: Fantasmic Pyro Question

Originally posted by xfkirsten
    Okay, this question has been bugging me for awhile, and maybe someone here knows the answer. Does Fantasmic use cold fire pyrotechnics at all? It seems that in a stage show where the performers are relatively close to the pyro, it would be an added safety measure.
    Considering the last mickey at the end got 3rd degree burns once I think not.

Comment

• eyes_of_mara
      OM NOM NOM
      • Feb 2005

I think the maleficent red&green reveal flames are cold fire pyro, but I dunno about the rest.
      Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

Comment

• judimouse
        The Duck Rules
        • Apr 2005

I have a co worker that is a part time pyro for Disney. When I see him I will find out.
        judimouse

Mousefest 2008 here we come

http://www.tinkstravel.com

http://www.dlresortinfo.com

Comment

• judimouse
          The Duck Rules
          • Apr 2005

Just talked to my co-worker and he said Disney uses NO cold fireworks.

If I can remember to bring a camera to work tomorrow I will take a picture of a Mickey finger.
          judimouse

Comment

• Fantasmic_Freak
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2005

I dont think they use any cold pyro, because most effect would be cooled by the air ariund then, or as they drop in the water, the only cold pyro they would use would be the flames for malificent and the sword fingers for mickey.
            Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

Comment

• judimouse
              The Duck Rules
              • Apr 2005

Even the Mickey Finger is not a cold firework. I was surprised.
              judimouse

Comment

• xfkirsten
                I Hug My Tapirs
                • Jan 2005

Thanks for finding out for me! That is really surprising. Cold fire is in fairly common use in theatrical pyrotechnics. I know we used it quite a bit at Cirque de la Mer. Was fascinating to watch our pyrotechnician hold his arm in one of the fountains in a demonstration.
                "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Comment

• filmfreak11
                  ...TWO BITS!
                  • Sep 2005

What's a cold pyro effect??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                  -Jurassic Park

Comment

• xfkirsten
                    I Hug My Tapirs
                    • Jan 2005

It's a pyrotechnic effect where the resulting sparks are actually cold to the touch. Very useful for situations in which you need to put people in close proximity to the pyro, and don't want to run the risk of burning someone.

Comment

• almandot
                      Shubisha
                      • Apr 2005

With the amount of smoke they all spew out, I didn't think they were cold fireworks except for the ones that get sprayed out of the ground for things like sorcerer mickey appearing, the evil queen's sparks, and maleficent

//but 'cold' or not, you don't want to get shot in the face point blank by pyro :P

Comment

• FantasyWatersDude
                        Mountain Dew User
                        • Sep 2005

similar to the mickey fingers, kind of like a miniature flashpot in the palm of your hand.

Comment

• FantasyWatersDude
                          Mountain Dew User
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by almandot
                          With the amount of smoke they all spew out, I didn't think they were cold fireworks except for the ones that get sprayed out of the ground for things like sorcerer mickey appearing, the evil queen's sparks, and maleficent

//but 'cold' or not, you don't want to get shot in the face point blank by pyro :P
                          the fog/smoke effects for the sorcerer mickey and evil queen's are done with high presseure water, pushed through fog nozzles that make the fog come out at .5 microns. http://www.koolfog.com

Comment

• almandot
                            Shubisha
                            • Apr 2005

right that was my point :P effects besides those ones cause a lot of smoke :P

Comment

• xfkirsten
                              I Hug My Tapirs
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by fantasywatersfreak

similar to the mickey fingers, kind of like a miniature flashpot in the palm of your hand.
                              Oooh, cool! So what goes in the front pocket on his pants? (This pic has an illustration of the one I mean)

Comment

• Disney Analyst
                                Behind the refurb walls..
                                • Apr 2005

i'm guessing that like a head set, so mickey can hear the crew if they need him to move fast if theres something dangerous happening

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                ~

Comment

• bubbubble4
                                  Banned User
                                  • Oct 2005

I'm really impressed with all the reasearch that everyone has done with this thread. I'm going to find out if we use any cold pyro at the batman begins stunt show.

Comment

• Bruce Bergman
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                                    Oooh, cool! So what goes in the front pocket on his pants? (This pic has an illustration of the one I mean)
                                    Nobody else knew? It has to be one of two things: a two-way radio to Show Control connected to a headset, so Mickey can say "Okay, I'm standing in position and you are clear to fire.":thumbup:

Or the encrypted radio receiver/Pyro Initiator that fires the 'fingers' on command inch: and at the right moment as cued from the soundtrack timecode.

(For safety, it has to be a secured signal of some sort for the 'Arm' and 'Fire' commands - you wouldn't want someone from Parking keying their radio on the wrong channel and triggering the effect at the wrong time.)

--<< Bruce >>--
                                    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X