Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

DLR College Program to the rescue...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLR College Program to the rescue...

Click to view the new DLR College Program website

The DLR College Program Website is up and open for business. College students can now enroll to participate in the same type of college program that has served WDW for over 25 years.

This new program may be aimed to ease tensions created by DLRs labor issues. What do you think? Will this new College Program help relieve DLRs labor issues? Do you think providing housing will increase the new CPs chance of being as effective as WDW CP?

I am currently in the WDW College Program and am well aware that this program provides almost unlimited access to eager, energetic enthusiastic young CMs willing to work many many hours for low wage.
    It will rid DL from future labor issues, increase guest satisfaction & attract new quality CMs.
    8.82%
    It will have a significant effect but it wont change the world.
    20.59%
    It will have a less than significant effect.
    26.47%
    It will have little or no effect on the day to day operations at DLR.
    32.35%
    Hiring a bunch of college students will deteriorate Disneylands good name. Dont do it.
    5.88%
    I dont care.
    5.88%
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

Twitter: @WRDinc | Instagram: @WRDinc

Re: DLR College Program to the rescue...

Interesting... Desparate, but interesting...
    Check out my other blog:

Comment

i personally am against this.

while it seems like a good idea, those kids are guaranteed 30 hours a week.

guaranteed being the key word

often, during our slow times, there arent 30 for all the CR's who have earned their tenure, myself included.

out of the many CM's we have now(which according to Al's reports isnt alot) there are quite a few who make their living off of the hours they recieve.

the CP kids will be taking precedence and getting a higher seniority for hours now.
      PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
      Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
      3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

It sais its ony available for students in the Anaheim area...
        Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
        http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJn511
          It sais its ony available for students in the Anaheim area...
          I know. I would like to see them aquire some sort of housing complex so they could open the program to students across the country.

Did the WDW CP offer housing in its first year?

Comment

Isnt there some apts just west of the resort parking lot/structure where W Magic Way deadends? CPs could movein there. and they could build a little gate or soemthing so Cps could walk to work.

Comment

Little to no effect. They're still expecting you to have a home in SoCal and drive a car, only now they're trying to lure you with the possibilities of some school credit as an extra incentive. Plus they can save on benefits by having a bunch of part-timers.

I expect this to do nothing since it doesn't do anything compensate for the insane cost of living in California, and chances are it will lower morale among the full-time staff.

Comment

Disneyland has had it's own College Program for a few years now. It's just very limited in what's available since students must provide their own housing and transportation (the main reason why participants must be SoCal residents). Also, the DLR CP does not offer the same educational componant (classes on-site, like WDW's).

As for being guaranteed 30 hours per week, that doesn't mean a CP will ALWAYS work the 30 hours. They could get released early or get a call and be asked if they want the day off.

Comment

Doesn't seem that much different from what they offer now. How is this different from having a CSU-Fullerton student simply fill out an application and get an interview?

Here's a tip, CM Matt: PAY MORE THAN IN-N-OUT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AEGuy42
                    As for being guaranteed 30 hours per week, that doesn't mean a CP will ALWAYS work the 30 hours. They could get released early or get a call and be asked if they want the day off.
                    but they are required to maintain those work hours in order to keep the credits they earn
                    PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                    Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                    3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

This is the same College Program theyve had for a while now.
                      They aren't going to get a better turn out by sprucing up the website.

They need to bring back the program that my brother's friend participated in some 5-6 years ago where they actually offered housing and recruited kids from campuses as far north as Bakersfield (and probably even further). I would totally do it if they still offered it, but they've cheaped out and stopped doing housing and its only open to Anaheim-area students who already have their own housing. Lame!

My brother's friend met his wife through the college program. They married last October in Arizona, where they now live. Aww

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I was part of the DLR College Program back in 1993. Even though I lived here, I was hired from interviews at Washington State University. Back then, housing was available at a cost. That is one reason the College Program CM's were guaranteed 30 hours per week - to pay for the appartment. There were often 3 or 4 CMs in the same appartment too. Even then, many CP CM's didn't come away with much money.
                        Former Submarine Voyage CM 1994-1995

Comment

I know that I'm slow...But what's the difference from a College Program CM and a "regular" CM who is a Cal State Fullerton student? Doesn't DL try to recruit college age kids anyways for DL. So, what's the difference?
                          Jeff made me famous!
                          From the Mouth of the Mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by PierCarny
                            but they are required to maintain those work hours in order to keep the credits they earn
                            That is up to the school, NOT Disneyland, simply becuase Disneyland doesn't (and can't) issue the college credit and the participating school does.

The difference between a CP and a CM who is also a student is that CP's get college credit for working and are usually paid less than regular CM's (I'm not sure of the exact pay rates for DLR CPs vs. DLR CMs).

Comment

This is interesting Wes to see it back up. I would also second the alernative living issues! I know that DQ did this program before it stopped.

But as far as WDW's program goes, it's great because of the educational compent already buildt in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X