This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some images of the Tahatian Terrace

For those of you who don't know what the Tahatian Terrace was, it was a restaurant located in Adventureland between the Jungle Cruise and the Tiki Room. Guests at the Tahatian Terrace enjoyed polynesian style cuisine (I still remember the desert called 'The Goddess Pele". A scoop of Vanilla ice cream with a piece of shortbread dipped in rum and set on fire at the top of it) while watching a floor show that featured dances from Hawaii and other south pacific islands. I remember one guy used to come out and do a fire dance there. Despite the popularity of the restaurant and the show, it was closed down about 10 years ago and turned into Aladdin's Oaisis. Here's some images from what I think is the early 80's of the Tahatian Terrace. Enjoy.

The show always started with the MC coming out from a waterfall that parted to let people onto the stage and saying 'ALOOOOOOOOOOHA!'

This is the guy doing the fire dance.

Twords the end of the show, the dancers would come out and pull men from the audience to hula dance with them. When I became a teenager and thought I was old enough to be selected, I quit going.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Some images of the Tahatian Terrace

Great Pictures- I hope it comes back!

Comment

That makes me sad seeing how far the restaurants have fallen in quantity and quality at Disneyland.

Comment

Wow...I've never really been fond of Aladdin's Oasis, always kinda thought it seemed out of place between the Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise (even though I'm being hypocritical considering I've never actually seen the show)...but geez, bring back the Tahitian Terrace!!
        MCDADMCA

^clicky clicky^

Comment

Thanks for sharing great photos I love all your older photos
          :crazylegs

Comment

Oogie - thanks for bringing back some great memories...I was proud to have worked in that great restaurant and will share a few more memories later today when I'm not working. I was proud to have spent time working there...and why they closed great restaurants like that one, and the old Cafe Orleans, is beyond me...Although as I've speculated before, I wonder if the Terrace's closure had to do with problems that led to the tear-down of the Pavillion Central Kitchen.
            In any event, great pics and memories.

Barry
            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Thanks for the photos! The last time I was at the Tahitian Terrace was 1968, and then our family moved from San Diego to Virginia in the fall (talk about culture shock). My next visit to Disneyland was when I took my wife to Disneyland for the first time in 1983, and by then the Tahitian Terrace was gone.

Comment

Great pictures! I was just thinking about how great Lilo and Stitch would fit in there (David and Noni too). Maybe next time...
                "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Comment

Great photos.
                  It should go back to being Polynesian themed. I mean the tree in there is "legendary"...they might as well make good use of it.

Comment

I don't think my parents ever took us to eat there. Those are great pictures!! Thank you for sharing!!

Comment

Honestly, I don't think Aladdin even belongs in our Adventureland. Our's is themed mostly to the jungle, and having something from the Arabian disturbs the atmosphere (especially the building). It belongs in the Adventureland at MK because their land is themed to the Caribbean as well as the Arabian.
                      ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

a lilo and stitch thing with hula girls thing would be a neat dinner.... and it would help bring the resturant back to it's former self.. with 2 aditions.... (hows that for a settlement.. character dinning with hula girls.. lol)

the problem of course would be spending money on a new kitchen as said... but i dont see that sa a issue, when this resturant would be making money real fast...

more money than a meet and greet/story telling

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyfreak
                          That makes me sad seeing how far the restaurants have fallen in quantity and quality at Disneyland.
                          i will second that thought , with the exception of the Blue Bayou , or the Carnation Cafe maybe , the pizza port makes me feel like cattle getting a place in line at the feeding trough

My Maleficent tattoo

Comment

If you will allow me a memory from "back in the day"...I worked one summer as a dishwasher at the Terrace, and another as a line cook, helping to prepare the rice, hot veggies, and several main courses. Our lead cook was always in charge of the teriyaki steaks.

Anyway, the Terrace was open for lunch, with dinner shows ( I believe) at 5pm, 6pm, 7pm,8pm, and I think 9:30 or 9:45pm (with the Electrical Parade at 9pm, followed by the Fireworks).

Seating would take place in the half hour before the show started, meaning that dishes would usually come back in - all at once - at the end of each show. We'd take breaks, as many Pavillion Complex people did, sitting in idle Jungle Cruise boats in a break area just behind Main Street!

The show started with Aloha but ended with it also, and we came to not like the final Aloha...because it meant the end of break time!!! (Two crew members getting 15 minutes each...that's how we each sometimes managed to get in two breaks a night). You needed a night shift dishroom crew of at least five people the way it was set up.

To be precise, the dessert referred to was called "The Goodness of Pele"...and, the person whose job it was dish out those desserts, and the cakes, and pour the "Terrace punch" drinks (basically a glorified Hawaiian Punch) was said to be working the "punchee" stand.

And after scooping the hard ice cream, they would get punchy!

We'd use these giant industrial sized tins of salad oil - and we always saved them for the show's drummer...he'd do something to the insides of them and he says they really added to his drum set!!!

Anyway, thanks for putting up with the reminiscences from days gone by...I hope they can indeed do whatever it takes to bring back this DL classic.
                            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan
                              It belongs in the Adventureland at MK because their land is themed to the Caribbean as well as the Arabian.
                              No. :yuck: Ours has Arabian only because Pressler sucks. We don't need it...send it to Paris.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X