Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Some images of the Tahatian Terrace

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some images of the Tahatian Terrace

Hi all. This is my first post on Micechat- I've been reading the board for awhile, but was waiting to have something to contribute before posting.

Love your photos OogieBoogie- did you take them? I never got to go to the Tahitian Terrace, but am a huge Tiki Room fan. A few years ago I bought two of the tiki lamp bases that used to be on the tables at Tahitian Terrace. They are some kind of hard resin that makes them look like stone. I hope to restore them to their complete and working lamp stage soon.

You can see them in the center of this photo from the 1978 Disneyland souvenir booklet.

Man I wish the Tahitian Terrace was still around! Does anyone else know of any other Terrace stuff that has survived?
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

Comment

Hey, wondering, when was the Tahittan Terrace sadly taken out?

And plus, do you guys think there is even a small possible chance that the closure of the Aladdin Oasis area may be turning back into its original splendor of the Tahittan Terrace?

And....

To think about it, I think it would be a smart move on Disney's part since the Aladdin show right now is mainly geared at the kids. With Tahittan Terrace, it is geared at both adults and kids.

Comment

Wow! Such nice pictures...

May I ask when they were taken? My dad worked there in '66 and he has told me stories about it. He also mentioned how Walt really enjoyed dining there. Kind of sad to see it gone now too.

Comment

Originally posted by A Disney Dreamer
          Hey, wondering, when was the Tahittan Terrace sadly taken out?
          According to Werner Weiss's Yesterland website, the Terrace lasted until 1993 when it was replaced by the Aladdin Restaurant, which obviously did not fare so well.

--Barry
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
            Although as I've speculated before, I wonder if the Terrace's closure had to do with problems that led to the tear-down of the Pavillion Central Kitchen.
            In any event, great pics and memories.

Barry
            What was the problem with the kitchen?
            Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
            http://www.ericedunn.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Larry
              What was the problem with the kitchen?
              According to what I have been told, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong...there were issues with mold and other health-related concerns...but these came after the kitchen had been shuttered for a while...never when it was open and serving food.

To correct something I posted earlier, the tear-down, at least, had nothing to do with the Terrace's demise. "Aladdin's" stopped serving in the mid-90's, and I am told that the central kitchen tear-down didn't occur until about five years ago.

Hope this helps.

Barry
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Radiobarry, I've heard various stories about the kitchen situation.

So the Plaza Pavillion couldn't serve food without a completely new kitchen being installed into it?
                I've also heard that there is very little room back there.

Stop by my website

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Larry
                  Thanks for the reply Radiobarry, I've heard various stories about the kitchen situation.

So the Plaza Pavillion couldn't serve food without a completely new kitchen being installed into it?
                  I've also heard that there is very little room back there.
                  On the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour I was informed that the kitchen space for all three locations (Plaza Pavillion, Tiki Room, and Tahittan Terrace) were all still in working condition. They informed us that they could bring them back as a dining location over night.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigletFan
                    On the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour I was informed that the kitchen space for all three locations (Plaza Pavillion, Tiki Room, and Tahittan Terrace) were all still in working condition. They informed us that they could bring them back as a dining location over night.
                    That's great news and I will gladly stand corrected if that's the case! I certainly would not want to be spreading misinformation...it just makes me wonder why they haven't done so, at least with the Pavillion during peak periods...you'd figure they could be using that area for more than pin-trading and character shows.
                    And during I did take a peek in on my last visit, and saw the Pavillion's dish washing machine still there...

Barry

Comment

The Pavillon should at least be open. But with the shortage of people power lately, I can see how that might be difficult.
                      But still, bring back the Hula Girls and the Teriyaki steaks.

Stop by my website

Comment

Didn't Al Lutz mention sometime last year that the Plaza Pavillion kitchen was being gutted/cannibalized?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

It closed down in 92 or 93. Yesterland.com has a article about it here: http://www.yesterland.com/tahitianterrace.html as well as a sample menu.

In the response to the question to if I took these images, yes I did. It was around 1980 or 1981 (we were doing a return trip from visiting some cousins in Missouri and stopped by the park before heading home). one of our cousins came with us and got called up by one of the dancers.. here's a few images of him dancing...

I remember his wife wouldn't speak to him after he did this. lol!!!
                          Growing older is manditory
                          Growing up is however, optional

Comment

(Partly repeating what others have said and repeating my own thoughts)

It would be great if Aladdin's Oasis went to WDW's Adventureland and Tahatian Terrace returned in DL's Adventureland. I agree the Aladdin's Oasis didn't make much sense in DL's AL. But it does make more sense in WDW's AL. And of course, perhaps at the Bengal BBQ to TT's menu. And have the Lilo, Stitch, Nani, and David characters make a brief a appearance every now and then, but not all the time. Or put Bengal BBQ in that little queue area to the side of Aladdin's Oasis. Or would that be needed as a waiting area for TT? I don't remember how TT worked.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                            -Jurassic Park

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the great pictures. This is one of my favorite "never actually experienced it" attractions. Wish I'd known about it back when I went the first few times.

I highly doubt the Tahitian Terrace would ever be brought back as such, but it would be nice for them to have something tropical and interesting like that there.
                              "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Comment

Great pics OogieBoogie.... thanks for sharing them. I sadly never got the chance to experience the Terrace when it was around, since we always did Disneyland on the cheap back in the day.

I wouldn't count on the Terrace ever coming back, but you'd better believe I'd be the first in line if it somehow miraculously did!
                                "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X