Is Disneyland Over Marketing The Mickey Mouse Ears?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WatchYourHeadNStep
    Banned User
    • Jul 2005

Is Disneyland Over Marketing The Mickey Mouse Ears?

First there was the classic Mickey ears in which most people own a pair (hopefully)!

Than came the all time special Disneyland 50th Anniversary golden Mickey ears in which I hope everyone owns a pair!

Then assorted nice version came out just to get you into the Christmas spirit around 2005 Xmas season! Hopefully you have a pair of these too!

Sorry NO IMAGE! Did not want to have to use an image from "that other Disney website!!!""" hint hint nudge nudge say no more!

Anyway now these Mickey Mouse ears of various types are ending up at the Disneyland Outlet store! I have seen the following available at a very discounted price!

Can you say "slow down Disney and stop marketing these hats with a year stamp on them because no one will buy them and you will definitely lose money and they will end up on the SALE rack and Outlet Store!
  • MissChristine
    Scentsy Minion
    • Apr 2005

Re: Is Disneyland Over Marketing The Mickey Mouse Ears?

i think they've brought a few too many ears out into the market, but i do like the ones that have the dates on them. when i collect pins, i tend to buy the ones that have to do with a holiday and have the year imprinted on 'em. i'm not planning on wearing these hats...they're more of a pretty to look at collectors item. however...there does seem to be an over-abundance of them. i don't know....
    MCDADMCA

^clicky clicky^

Comment

• Mouse princess
      Hello there
      • Apr 2005

Actually- the Sorceror's hat with the ears I have seen for a long time now- at least a few years. The original and the limited edition gold should be the only ones. They are over doing it. But, I just wont buy them
      Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• Experiment626
        This is my car, Stitch :)
        • Oct 2005

I agree. There is WAY TOO MANY Mickey ears out there. I have one pair of the Mickey Mouse Club ones that I used for Halloween last year and two pairs of the Golden 50th (One I got on 05/05/05 with my name on the back and the other is the "Special 07/17/05"). Yes the Christmas '05 ones were cute, my mom got a pair to wear at work but all these other holiday ones...wth?!? The only ones that I have seen that look cute are the girly pink rose themed ones with the BLACK ears. I just saw on another thread of a blue "Hawaiin" themed ones that would look good for boys. But honestly, after the 50th is over, they should stick strictly to the CLASSIC Mickey Mouse ears.
        http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
        www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
        http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

• WatchYourHeadNStep
          Banned User
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by MissChristine
          i think they've brought a few too many ears out into the market, but i do like the ones that have the dates on them. when i collect pins, i tend to buy the ones that have to do with a holiday and have the year imprinted on 'em. i'm not planning on wearing these hats...they're more of a pretty to look at collectors item. however...there does seem to be an over-abundance of them. i don't know....
          Oh Miss Christine you are so unsure!

Fellow Long Beacher thus the 10 mile radius of Disneyland location!

Comment

• skratch addict
            rebmeM roinuJ
            • May 2006

there are quite a few, but i do love my giant foam mickey ears! theyre huge!
            sigpic

Comment

• PrincessY
              Winter in Oceanside...
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Experiment626
              But honestly, after the 50th is over, they should stick strictly to the CLASSIC Mickey Mouse ears.
              That is probably not going to happen. The Disney Marketing Machine is in full force - ears will be everywhere.

Comment

• dlfreak
                Disneyland Freak
                • Jan 2005

I don't own an original pair of ears but I do have the seasonal one which I really loved. I also have the July 17, 2005 ears and the Club 33 ears. So far those are the only ones I have and/or want. I don't think I've seen anyone wearing any of the holiday themed hats but if there's a market for him, let them have ears!
                Joey AKA "dlfreak"
                www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
                If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
                Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Comment

• Morrigoon
                  insufferable know-it-all
                  • Jan 2005

They're doing what they did to beanies.

Ears were a low-cost item, and when they started offering different versions (I mean, aside from the old different colors offerings) people were willing to buy second and third sets of mouse ears because, hey, for a few bucks per, why not start collecting them? The problem is, the second sales rise, they raise prices. Ears are getting to a price now where even when I think they're adorable, I simply won't buy them.

Same thing happened with pins and beanies.

They just haven't figured out that what really drives sales of these items is their low cost and percieved cost-to-value ratio. When that ratio changes, interest in the items drops. If they would just hold prices lower, they'd keep robust sales going for a lot longer.

Remember when Disney Beanies were $6 each? Remember when pins were $4? I have a ton of both from that time period, because it was "nothing" to add some to my collection. Now, when each item is $10 or more, we're no longer talking about a minor purchase, so I have to actually weigh the utility of purchasing them. Guess what, they don't measure up. Even if they do, say, in the case of gold ears, each successive purchase fails to measure up according to the principle of diminishing returns.

I have to wonder, why sell me one pair of Mickey ears for $12 if you can sell me five pairs for $6? But that's what they're doing.

Now, granted, they're obviously still selling them, and perhaps I jump out of the game early due to budget. But I hope for their sakes that they have an economist on staff who's tracking whether or not they're at their optimal price.

The pity of it is, even if they go above their optimal price, they probably won't ever come back down to it. I think that's why we see fewer beanies these days. Who the heck wants a $15 beanie? If beanies were still $6 apiece, you'd probably see what used to happen: families with many kids able to buy each kid a souvenir in the form of a beanie. Now, those same families might not buy anything, OR, they might opt to hold out and buy cheapie souvenirs from the various and sundry non-Disney owned stores in the area.

Now, granted, mouse ears are not exactly a dime a dozen. However, they're also not useful outside a trip to the parks or sitting on a shelf. On the other hand, a baseball cap is. So rather than buy $12 or $14 mouse ears, they tell their kids to wait, and get them baseball caps from some non-Disney owned store in the area.

Not being a Disney economist, I can't tell you where that price barrier is, but I can tell you they'll keep pushing till they hit it, and perhaps beyond it. For my wallet, they're already past it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• WatchYourHeadNStep
                    Banned User
                    • Jul 2005

[quote=dlfreak]I also have the July 17, 2005 ears and the Club 33 ears.[quote]

Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Must see!
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Where can I get one?
                    Are they still available?

I NEED A CLUB 33 MICKEY EARS!!!!!!!!! NOW!

Comment

• WatchYourHeadNStep
                      Banned User
                      • Jul 2005

You also have to remember that as the pin prices went up so did the quality and styles of the pins.

I think the beanie craze is over and now you can buy them for $6.00 each at the former Disney Store aka The Children's Place Store!

As far a the ears go, I hope they do not make anymore! Quality is staying the same and if the price goes up no one will be buying them!

Also what is up with the overmarketing of Winnie the Pooh stuff! The Disney Outlet store was just JAM PACKED with Cr@p..... I mean Pooh!

Comment

• Experiment626
                        This is my car, Stitch :)
                        • Oct 2005

Yeah...what are the Club 33 ears? They obviously didn't have them when I went a few years ago.
                        http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                        www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                        http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

• 2DieFR
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jun 2005

Only available in Club 33, a very rare find indeed!

There is an auction going on right now on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Club-33-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

• RenMan
                            back in Austin
                            • Mar 2005

I didn't buy any 50th ears when I was there last month and I'm sad I didn't.

Comment

• mamabot
                              Rally Vixen
                              MiceChat Administrator
                              • Jan 2005

The themed ears are super cheesy. There really isn't a need for them. All they do is harm the sentimentality that comes with a pair of Mickey ears. I understand the golden ears. I have a few pairs of regular black ears for myself and at least two each for my kids. I do not foresee my family making any ear purchases in the near future.

Are we certain that the multicolored ears aren't the last laugh from Cynthia Harris?
                              Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
                              I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

• MSEPLightningBug
                                Banned User
                                • Jun 2005

Cheesy is mild compared to my true inner feeling about them!

I don't mind the golden ones...
                                and I didn't mind the ones that were for new years eve...

but the Valentines, Jerry Garcia looking ones, St. Pattys ones...
                                what is next? 4th of July flags with spiralling confetti out the top?

YES, they are going OVER THE TOP with marketing these things!
                                They should stick to tradition! Black (or gold, for these 18 months only)
                                and perhaps Diamond encrusted ones for the Diamond anniversary! lol!

Comment

• MickeyMania
                                  Vehicle rotating backward
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
                                  First there was the classic Mickey ears in which most people own a pair (hopefully)!
                                  Despite the pop culture influence of the Mickey Mouse Club, I always thought these looked silly. And I own a Goofy hat, so I'm not some prude.

Than came the all time special Disneyland 50th Anniversary golden Mickey ears in which I hope everyone owns a pair!
                                  Don't own these, either. I saw the WDW versions there and were unimpressed.

I didn't see the other hats like tye-dye and stuff there, but I did see the Valentine's Day one at the time as that holiday was coming up. I do like the Sorcerer's Hat with the LEDs in it, although it's ungodly expensive. I don't know if they sell that at DL, but it seems like everything is sold at both resorts now.

Comment

• daddyb
                                    Who's your DaddyB?
                                    • Jan 2005

The Mickey ears were originally to make you look like Mickey Mouse, and were part of the Mickey Mouse Club... thus the desire to look like Mickey because it was HIS club.

The golden ears, I can appreciate. Have them around for a year, sure.
                                    Even the over-the-top gold sequined ears...

Everything else is just too much.
                                    Inventive, but just too much.
                                    Please stop.

Your cheapening your own legacy for a few more dollars.
                                    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Comment

• MandaBella
                                      • Jul 2005

So....then I guess you all don't like the Christmas, Cruise, Safari, Graduation, Pirate, Bride, Groom, etc. ears that have been available for years at the WDW resort and DCL (and I'm assuming DL too, but I've only been to DL once so far)?

I collect ears myself, but they are getting very pricey. I noticed quite a variety in WDW a few days ago compared to my previous visits. I don't necessarily like all the new ones, but there are some new ones that I think are cute. To each their own...
                                      Amanda
                                      Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

• figment1986
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jan 2005

Some ears are great.. like the graduation (I have a cap with mickey ears.. lol) bride/groom, and kids.. but having seasonal ones for holidays is too much... what would we do with them??

they need to find something else new thats collectable... like pins that feature parts from old rides.. lol (they sell out here.. imagine that)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X