Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

A Hollow Matterhorn

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hollow Matterhorn

I asked this question a LONG time ago -- but I figure I will ask again. Maybe someone has what Im looking for this time. ;-)

Before the first major modification to the Matterhorn, in the 70's I believe, the inside of the mountain was hollow, and you could see the tracks and such below you -- at least, this is how I understand it and I think I remember this as a child. At the same time they put in Harold, they made the inside of the mountain cavernous and as if the bobsleds were in their own little sled runways.

Has anyone ever seen a picture of the inside of the mountain before they filled it in with its icy caverns? It would be great to see an in-ride picture of this. I'm hoping to put to rest a long standing question about the accuracy of my memory -- plus it would just be damn cool to see!
    Ryborg

Re: A Hollow Matterhorn

I do remember being able to see the "guts" of the original Matterhorn track, but alas, I have no pictures.

One thing I miss from the old track: Catching a glimpse of the park as you came off the top of the lift. Such a great view. That part was closed in when they put in Harold.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Wow. The Matterhorn was kinda like Space Mountain in a way, then.

Well, it kinda is. Well I mean Space Mountain in FL is the Matterhorn, but all Spacey!
      BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
      October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
      April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
      December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
      July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
      July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
      February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
      February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
      TRIP REPORTS

Comment

It's funny - I too would love to see a picture of this, but the only time I rode it before Harold was when I was 6, and I remember being so disappointed that the inside of the ride was so nothing compared to the cool exterior.
        sigpic

Comment

I remember it well, but alas have been looking for a picture and so far none to be found.
          Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
          it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Could you see the other bobsleds travelling on tracks below you?? I thought I remembered that you could. I was also about 6 when I rode it like this.
            Ryborg

Comment

Yes, you could see everything, kinda like Space with the lights on.
              Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
              it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

cool -- thats what I remembered.
                Ryborg

Comment

I remember this too. I remember a bare concret floor and everything was painted gray inside.

When I close my eyes and try to remember that, I see a ladder laying on it's side leaning against the wall. I have no idea why I remember that ladder there, but I do.
                  Jeff made me famous!
                  From the Mouth of the Mouse.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X