Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um...those logs look crazy...i think they should just stick to the 5 configuration they have now...or just make a wider 6th seat for those who have young ones who dont want to sit by themselves...shifting two seats to left and to right...that's kinda dumb...also look at the way the back two seats are done...looks like you are going to be getting so wet...
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

Comment

The seating configuration is all facing foward... Disney just doesn't have water dummies that can ride this ride well... and have to face that way to keep the boat balanced... their is no difference to the boat except the wider back seat to hold 2 people...
      (increasing the capacity to 6 people instead of the odd number 5....)

Comment

An Article from the Line

There was an article in the December 16, 2004 issue of The Disneyland Line talking about new logs for Splash Mountain. The article was titled "Cast Member Helps WDI Make Magic for Guests".

The photo that was in Al's update today looked like the log that was pictured in the Line.
        "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Help get Norm the Hypnotist to fill the Golden State Amphitheater with a well themed show!

Comment

Originally posted by AP2CM
          the snoring bear (near the queue entry) was Rufus from the Country Bears (the stage/lighting bear you never saw but only heard). They removed the snoring when they removed the ride in 2001. The bear snoring near slippin' falls (1st drop) is Brer Bear. He's still there.
          I think there is something wrong with that statment but not sure so I will post this:

Rufus was a snoring bear that was located up in the hills of Bear Country before Splash Mtn. was built. He later went on to be the sleepy lighting bear you never saw but only heard in CBJ:VH and CBJ X-mas show. When they built Splash they relocated Rufus's cave to the top of the first small drop and let him sleep for a few more years. Sometime in the past, I would say, 10 years or so they kicked Rufus out and had Brer Bear move in. But the funny thing is his snoring sure does sound like Rufus.

J
          Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Comment

Originally posted by AP2CM
            Actually, I'm hoping (foolishly) that we get the hopping Brier Rabbit animatronic from WDW (the one that dances on the hedge). He's amazing!!
            You mean the one that was always breaking down? I think in the year that I lived/worked there, I maybe saw it working three times.
            "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Comment

Whew, I'm very glad to learn that I jumped the gun with my assumption that they were planning to have the guests sit sideways.

Disco Duck suggested that they should just stick with the 5-seater configuration they have now. I'll go that one better and suggest that they go back to it being a log ride in a hollow log .... with no seats or separations and much higher guest capacity (hehe, we once got 12 people in a single log - - that was one wet ride!)

The reduced capacity was, if I recall correctly, in reaction to a single injury incident. But the prior decade of operation with hollow logs was completely accident-free. Statistically, then, there is no reason other than rampant lawyering to have changed the seating configuration at all. (imho)

Comment

Wait a second. I thought Rufus was some loud snoring sound they played out of the Splash buildnig while it was under construction way back when, and they stopped piping it out when Splash opened? Because maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing the Big Drop hill being there even before it was part of a ride.

And of course they wouldn't sit people in logs like that! It would wreck the "this is a picture of you going down the drop" sales!

Comment

Slpsh Mt. Logs

The only difference are 2 people across in the back. I have seen a photo of human beings riding one of the prototype logs awhile ago, and I doubt the configuration changed much. Al's photo just caught the water dummies oddly shifting in position which is understandable since water dummies do a lousy job of holding on to the handle grips.
                  The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

I Do not like the Separations in the log. I am always concerned that I will get a new nose job from the headrest!!
                    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I might be wrong, but I remember there just being a house or cave up on the hill in the pre-Splash Mountain days of Bear Country from which you could hear the snoring.

Comment

lol, I agree, the log config has not changed from front facing, they just had to tie them in place.

Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by Scribby
                          I might be wrong, but I remember there just being a house or cave up on the hill in the pre-Splash Mountain days of Bear Country from which you could hear the snoring.
                          I think this's already been talked about

it was the maintenence bear that you never see in the Country bears show, he's supposed to be sleeping

his house/snoring left when the attraction left
                          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                            Forget the side-by-side rear seating; Have you checked out the other seating configuration in the logs as pictured in today's Al Update on miceage?!?!?

It's four people in front, two facing completely left (and absolutely unable to look right), and the other two facing completely right (and unable to look left).
                            You've got to be kidding me. The only reason the water dummies sit like that during testing is because of the manner in which they tie them into the log. That photo was typical of the reporting Al does.

Comment

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                              Whew, I'm very glad to learn that I jumped the gun with my assumption that they were planning to have the guests sit sideways.

Disco Duck suggested that they should just stick with the 5-seater configuration they have now. I'll go that one better and suggest that they go back to it being a log ride in a hollow log .... with no seats or separations and much higher guest capacity (hehe, we once got 12 people in a single log - - that was one wet ride!)

The reduced capacity was, if I recall correctly, in reaction to a single injury incident. But the prior decade of operation with hollow logs was completely accident-free. Statistically, then, there is no reason other than rampant lawyering to have changed the seating configuration at all. (imho)
                              What are you talking about? There were always two separators forming three seating sections in the log. Disney had originally hoped for a capacity of ten, but that was well before the attraction opened. Doesn't anyone remember the delays in opening Splash Mountain do to the major problems from the weight of the boats?

The original seating configuration allowed if a cast member permitted a maximum of nine to ride (3-2-4). Of course, you had to be of normal size and understand that in order for the four in the back to sit down they had to all do it at the same time 1..2...3... sit.

You CANNOT fit 12 people in those logs. You could fit a maximum of nine and I've got an on-ride photo to prove it, but I've NEVER seen them operate it by trying to fit nine into the boat. The regular operating standard was to seat 2-2-3.

The current seating configuration is foolish and Disney should revert back to the original design. The trick for safety is you need to seat at least two people in the back section of the log.

As for the rumored two across seating in the back row I highly doubt it and would like to see a photo of this alleged testing. The logs and flume are not wide enough to accommodate side-by-side seating. Side-by-side seating in an tight configuration would increase the chances of an arm being held outside the boat. The best solution to the capacity problem is to revert back to the original seating configuration which operated for years without incident. The problem now is not with Disney's lawyers, but the state of California and their over regulation of amusement park rides. They're messing around in territory that they have no knowledge about.

Comment

As for the rumored two across seating in the back row I highly doubt it and would like to see a photo of this alleged testing.
                                http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al011805c.htm

Go to the bottom of the page to see the photo.

Comment

Just another possibility about this change... There was a recent lawsuit by a guest at a different park who was injured because they could not fit into the ride and the safety apparatus could not lock properly. I wonder if having the two seats in the back, in addition to rider capacity, might be to accomodate those guests who might have had difficulty fitting into the current configuration.

Comment

The snoring bear (Rufus) was in the hills to the left on your way into Critter Country, prior to the building of SM!

The Brer Rabbit that jump on the hedges is always broke! It's like winning the Lotto to see it work!

Comment

theres a simple solution to bring back the old log configuration. make sure at some point on the ride say the drop hill that comes back up you bump your face really hard on the backrest in front of you.... broken noses anyone?

Comment

i hate that they are removing the seat backs. I really don't like having to sit in people's laps or have people sitting in my lap. This is the reason why I don't like Matterhorn. Well, i still like the ride, i just don't like the seating arrangement.

Comment

It does not look like the log in the photo is finished. The piece the water weights are resting on only looks to be a small beam, maybe 4-6 inches wide. The actual seat part in the current logs is wider I think. Maybe they will just put in two backs so that the front two are double seats (one in front of other, ala old style logs). Making the logs hold up to 6 people.

In the configuration they are testing, Where do you stick your legs? It was always a little small on leg room, with one leg on either side. But now with both legs on one side for the back it's going to be tight.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X