Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland Hat Embroidery: A cultural quagmire!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Hat Embroidery: A cultural quagmire!

Last weekend, my wife and I visited Disneyland, and while we there, we were asked to by a couple of golden mouse ears for a couple about to celebrate their 50th anniversary. They asked that the hats have the names "Memaw" and "Pop Pop" put on the back since this is what they have always called their Dutch grandparents.

When we asked the CM to put those names on the back, we were told that we could put Grampa, Gramma, a variation of these 2 nicknames, or there proper names on the hats but not Memaw or PopPop. My wife (who was very aware of the line behind us) decided against arguing with a CM and simply asked for their proper names to be put on the hats.

Visibly upset by all of this, I told my wife that we should go to City Hall and ask if something could be done about this. We went to City Hall and talked to a really understanding CM who was not aware of the nicknames Memaw and Pop Pop, and asked if it was a cultural issue. We told her that the grandparents were from a Dutch descent and that on the east coast the aforementioned nicknames were not uncommon. She contacted the manager of the Madhatter and told him the situation, and then she told us that he was going to make us a new pair and he would run them over to City Hall, which he did.
    In talking to the helpful CM, we found that Disneyland is having some issues dealing with the numerous cultures that make up this melting pot we call America, and that the hat embroidery issue is being addressed at this time because of issues such as ours.
    They have their work cut out for them. I googled Memaw and Pop Pop, and one of the hits had a list of just grandparent names form various cultures.Here is the list that I came across on google:
    Memere, Pepere, Poppy, Poppie, Mamie, Mayme, Meema, Meme, Nana, Da, Papa, Glam-ma (for the glamorous grandma), Grandpa, Granddad, Gramps, Baba, Grammy, Bubbe, Nanny, Mamaw, Papaw, PawPaw, Mema, Pop Pop, Bop Bop, Gram, Gigi, Oma, Opa, Grampie, Poppa, Grandmom, Grandmother and Grandfather.

This doesn't even include the nicknames for moms, dads, aunts, and uncles. I told the CM that I don't envy Disneyland trying to come up with a policy that is going to work for everyone.

I realize that Disneyland had to do this because somebody thought it would be cute to sneak in an offensive word in another language, but why do they have to change policy because one person tries to pull a fast one at the Park, instead of confiscating the offensive mouse ears from the offender?

Anywho, we got the ears for the dear old couple. After 50 years together, they deserve more than mouse ears... they should get a trip to Disneyland!

P.S. As a sidebar, we were told that Disneyland is still planning on getting rid of the manual hat writing machines that are still in use in the Park.
    </IMG></IMG>
    Charlie :wave:
    MiceChat User #1037

Re: Disneyland Hat Embroidery: A cultural quagmire!

I call my grandmas "grama" which doesn't come up often either. I think in this case, Disney should be flexible (which they were) with these types of names. I know they do this so that the few bad eggs won't put something offensive on their hats, but this seemed pretty straight-forward to me. I'm glad they got it worked out.

BTW, I soooooo want to be Glam-ma when the time comes!!
    <o>

Comment

those hate are totally cute! I want a memaw and poppop

Comment

In our county where I teach, we have 2 Anakins and 1 Darth and a number of Padmes. Seriously. Just as we have a ton of Jasmins, Ariels, Aladdins and various other Disney and Non-Disney names, depending upon the popular films when they were born. (Sorta like when I worked for a vet...you could tell what film was popular by the animals names. )

While the Disney names have no problem getting their hats embroidered, apparently Anakin and Darth are not allowed. (Both parents were told that those are "copyrighted" names and the park is not allowed to use them on the hats. That if they wanted them, they would have to bring a copy of the birth certificate. Well one of the Anakin's mom came in after the last trip to Disneyland, absolutely livid. Apparently the boy was STILL denied a hat as the CM told her, "You sure went to a lot of trouble to fake that name!" This was after she and her husband presented the required birth certificate. She said she was going to write to Guest Relations and not only complain about the CM's attitude, but ask how they are going to solve the issue of people who were named after famous characters.

And that whole thing that was pulled with the grandparents...that was soo wrong. Glad you finally got the hats.
        Originally posted by migo
        I poop with joy!
        Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

I had this same issue but with my VMK name. I wanted to get my screename on the back of the hat (which is also SpookyBear) and they wouldn't let me. I don't understand why they can't be a little flexible about this. SpookyBear isn't offensive at all and isn't it a little more dangerous to have a real name on the back of the hat?

Comment

Originally posted by Circarama
            P.S. As a sidebar, we were told that Disneyland is still planning on getting rid of the manual hat writing machines that are still in use in the Park.

Cultural ignorance aside, I think that upsets me more than anything.
            Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

What a shame. At least City Hall was nice with you.

They're also really picky because of the Mickey Mouse Club code, which is that you have to use your name (although I guess Grandmother etc. is okay). A friend of mine whose in a sorority tried to get the nickname of it on her ears, but they wouldn't let her do it.

Comment

That's sad. Glad to hear they finally got their proper ears though. And I agree, its a huge shame that the hand-embroidery machines are leaving. Sad.
                I'll have to pick up a couple pairs of ears with my hand-embroidered name on them before its too late.

Originally posted by SpookyBear
                I had this same issue but with my VMK name. I wanted to get my screename on the back of the hat (which is also SpookyBear) and they wouldn't let me. I don't understand why they can't be a little flexible about this. SpookyBear isn't offensive at all and isn't it a little more dangerous to have a real name on the back of the hat?
                I feel your pain. I tried to get "Master Gracey" on a Disneyland name tag but I was denied. I thought I might have a little more of a chance since it was kind of Disney-related. But no luck.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey
                  I feel your pain. I tried to get "Master Gracey" on a Disneyland name tag but I was denied. I thought I might have a little more of a chance since it was kind of Disney-related. But no luck.
                  :ot: Have you tried buying the name tag, and getting it engraved outside the park, like a trophy store?

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                  Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
                  Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by a_hyperbole
                    :ot: Have you tried buying the name tag, and getting it engraved outside the park, like a trophy store?
                    I actually have tried this before with a nametag and I went to get it engraved at Things Remembered. For some reason though they way the name tags are designed when they engraved my name it made the paint crack also on the front, so I guess Disney has a special way of doing it. It wasn't a complete loss though since I got my money back on the tag since I still had my receipt from the park.

Comment

I have a hat from 1991 that says "Baba Yagga", I think it's a Russian Grandama witch name. It was a line in one of our songs we performed at Disneyland with our band. There were about 20 of us that all got matching hats with that on it. I guess they didn't care about what was written then. (By the way we had twins born at a hospital here named Mulder and Sculley from when x-files was popular. Poor kids. They probably couldn't get their names either.)

Comment

It's no secret - If you can't get the name you want on the ears - go to another location. By the end of the day - you can get it.

It only took me two tries to get my "Sambo" ears...

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

[quote=SpookyBear]I actually have tried this before with a nametag and I went to get it engraved at Things Remembered. quote]

stay out of the malls and find a real trophy shop. I bought a few and had a few printed from DL and they where very helpful. it did take the first being broke to get it write but that's why I bought extra.
                          aka Sara

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

One of my children
                          isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating :sleep:

Comment

Originally posted by Where's Barbie?
                            stay out of the malls and find a real trophy shop. I bought a few and had a few printed from DL and they where very helpful. it did take the first being broke to get it write but that's why I bought extra.
                            Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to try that, but I have to find a trophy shop around here now! :blush:

Comment

My grandparents are Opa and Oma. At times it would be nice to distinguish my dad's parents from my Mom's. It's nice to see that the situation was resolved
                              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X