Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obligatory photos of the drained Motor Boat Cruise!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see something more themed than Gummi Glen. It doesn't have to be hi-tech, just an "outdoors darkride" if you will.

Otherwise, it seems as if you could keep the waterway depth and build a sunken showbuilding, built around the support pylons for the Monos, and have a deluxe dark ride. You'd just have to make sure that the Mono route isn't going to change once the ride got built, or was structurally sound enough to handle new supports later.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Maybe..just ** MAYBE** They arent removing it. MAYBE. MAYBE. Hopefully. I say this cuz it doesnt look like it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
        Maybe..just ** MAYBE** They arent removing it. MAYBE. MAYBE. Hopefully. I say this cuz it doesnt look like it yet.
        I too wish for them to NOT remove it, or at least leave it as some sort of watery type of attraction. But, it's all in the name of progress I guess...
        ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Comment

A playground is not GOOD Progress. It's bad progress. Not saying you said it's good. Just saying, I hate the idea.

As my user name implies Motor Boat Cruise was the best. PLEASE Bring it back. It wouldnt take much. Where did they put all the boats? How long has it been closed? I know it's been @ least a decade.

Comment

Progress is such a loaded word... I happen to think the best "progress" woud be to wait unti 2010 before messing too much with this chunk of real estate. Or open it up as MBC again, or as Gummi Glen --something relatively inexpensive to build and operate. Just for a short time. Then, in 2008 open something major in DCA, and 2009 or -10 open the Bambi ride as the centerpiece of the Frontierland expansion, making a gentler transition between Fantasyland and Frontierland, and using the Hunny Hunt technology. Finally, with enough new things at the resort to ease traffic, close off Tomorrowland from Autopia north, and consider either a basement-up redo of the whole area, or using the current infrastructure to create a better theme. Take out Nemo from the Subs if he makes it in, create a more scenic route for Autopia, and maybe cut it back in half... yadda yadda yadda.

At any rate... a TEMPORARY playground would be okay, if everyone involved knew it was only temporary. But cheap and temporary attractions have a nasty habit of sticking around

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I would not bring back Gummi Glen. While it was pretty cool, it just seemed random and primative. Plain Motorboats was better.

Besides - as soon as Gummi Glen was gone, so was the entire Motor boat Cruise.

Comment

I feel the need to comment that I was joking about wanting to see the Gummi Bears back...

Comment

I would not bring back Gummi Glen. While it was pretty cool, it just seemed random and primative. Plain Motorboats was better.

It doesn't have to literally be Gummi Glen. You could do Pocahontas' animal friends Just Around the River Bend, or the Rescuers Swamp Boat Cruise... just an inexpensive story added to MBC so it attracts more riders until it closes again for whatever new attraction will go into that quadrant after the 50th.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

That would be pretty cool. The one thing I hated--ONLY ONE--about the Cruise was the noise it generated. Rather annoying after awhile

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
                      There are two sets of bag-checks - from the West (Downtown Disney & the Mickey & Friends Tram) side of the esplanande, and from the East (Lion King Trams/Harbor Blvd.) side. Disneyland to the North, DCA to the South.

Everyone in the central plaza between the two parks has cleared the security checks, so you can cross over between the two parks without another bag check.

Only problem is, if you want to walk from Harbor Blvd. to shop or dine in Downtown Disney you have to clear security to walk across.

--<< Bruce >>--
                      Sorry for the quick derail. But when did they add the security checks (my last trip was in 2002 and I don't remember going through one.) Where they always surrounding the esplanade?
                      -Goober

Comment

I can't wait till we have "now here's the bulldozer" pictures! hahaha... just kidding.

ModHatter, Disneyland will never be completed and your ideas are so awesome. I'm sure they'll come up with something for TL and that Bambi ride sounds great. Too bad you're not Ouimet's right hand man.
                        Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

Originally posted by robotpirates
                          I can't wait till we have "now here's the bulldozer" pictures! hahaha... just kidding.

ModHatter, Disneyland will never be completed and your ideas are so awesome. I'm sure they'll come up with something for TL and that Bambi ride sounds great. Too bad you're not Ouimet's right hand man.
                          Thanks... yeah, the Bambi thing has been one of my pet projects even before I heard what they coud really do with those Hunny Hunt vehicles. It just seems like one of those long-overdue things. So, if Matt's listenning, Let's put all of these Pixar movies on hold til some long overdue, actual Disney films get rides.

Which, come to think of it, reminds me of one of my other pet projects. I usually imagine this one as an indoor dark ride, but what if they dug out the old waterways and built the Jolly Holiday with Mary horse race in there? Instead of the merry-go-round horses having the traditional pole mechanism, the pole is just decorative, and the trotting motion is done under the horse. You coud even end the ride with one of those ride photo spots, simulating the Photo Finish in the horse race...

-- Walt Disney

Comment

It sounds like you should really hate Toon Town. Initially the Operating Budget form The Motor Boat Cruise went into the Toon Town Budget when it was built (according to Mouse Tales at least).

Also, just so we're clear, if missed any of my other posts about this from other Motor Boat threads... I find the idea of a Play Area to REVOLTING!

Thanks, that is all.

- FNDA

Comment

Here's to hoping that they put the motor boat cruise back, or something similar. I obviously have fond memories of the ride as well.
                              "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
                              - Satchel Paige

Comment

^^fearsnda: You're saying they closed the Motorboats to build Toontown? And yet, when they had extra money soon after (surely they did), they let it remain closed?

Im not a huge fan of Toontown. It's cute. But at WDW, their Toontown, while having less things in it, seems better maintained.

I spend 90% of my time Disneyland/WDW Magic Kingdom in Adventureland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland.

Comment

One thing that I have noticed on this board, is just how creative we all are. It makes me wonder who has creative control over DL. Some of the ideas that this board has generated are priceless! If Disney would read this board, they would do some great things. I am really impressed. If we only had a voice. Hmmmmmm.
                                  sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

The way I see it, their theory of "When we open a new attraction, we close an old one and shift the budget money to the new one" is only a cute dodge ("excuse") to cut the budget. :devil: Because when they open the new ride, they also increase the overall capacity of the park to handle larger crowds, and therefore the new ride pays for itself.

This is almost a reason to go back to ticket books, or at least a much tighter turnstile count by scanning park tickets at the entrances of each ride and attraction - that way they can see where the utilization is.

They should be removing old rides or attractions only when they no longer draw enough guests to pay for the operating costs to run them, and they should have another attraction already designed and ready to start construction and operation in the space.

Things like Rocket Rods prove the rule - the vehicles and ride control system were glitching and shutting down daily (sometimes several times a day) and killing the guest throughput as they walked everyone off and reset the ride. And the vehicles were very high maintenance, chewing up $400 sets of tires weekly, and they were having trouble with the beamway and guide rails cracking which would have required very expensive repairs. I can understand their closing it - So where's the replacement? :confused:

And IMHO old rides with low labor and maintenance costs don't need too many people going through to "break even". Otherwise, they are removing the overall park capacity to handle the crowds they regularly draw, and undermining the value of the ticket - and I haven't seen them rushing to lower the ticket prices lately...

--<< Bruce >>--
                                    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas
                                      One thing that I have noticed on this board, is just how creative we all are. It makes me wonder who has creative control over DL. Some of the ideas that this board has generated are priceless! If Disney would read this board, they would do some great things. I am really impressed. If we only had a voice. Hmmmmmm.
                                      :lol: Who says they don't read this? They just can't admit they read it, or take any overt action to an outside person about it.

And putting up a really good idea in a public posting is often the kiss of death for it, unless they can modify it slightly to make it look like they came up with the idea all on their own, they can't use it or they risk petty claims over the idea's origination. Even if you throw it out in the public domain deliberately.

But if you are a Cast Member, start blabbing here about something sensitive that they didn't want revealed (yet or ever), and see how fast they haul you into the office and have a counseling session about it... :devil: Oh yeah, they read Usenet, the websites like Miceage, and the boards.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                      There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
                                        :lol: Who says they don't read this? They just can't admit they read it, or take any overt action to an outside person about it.

And putting up a really good idea in a public posting is often the kiss of death for it, unless they can modify it slightly to make it look like they came up with the idea all on their own, they can't use it or they risk petty claims over the idea's origination. Even if you throw it out in the public domain deliberately.

But if you are a Cast Member, start blabbing here about something sensitive that they didn't want revealed (yet or ever), and see how fast they haul you into the office and have a counseling session about it... :devil: Oh yeah, they read Usenet, the websites like Miceage, and the boards.

--<< Bruce >>--
                                        Oh yeah... you sooooooo correct!

Comment

The Central Problem

Putting a playground is fine if they include the MAGIC! I remember as a child finding the space between Tomorrowland and the Castle had a garden with water that flew through the air. It was probably cheap, but it was magic seeing the streams of water going through the air. The trouble with many of these cheap attractions is that there is no MAGIC!! Just a few trees and a costumed character does not make a magical place in the kingdom. It is boring!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X