This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHX to DLR, Am I Crazy for Driving?

The price of gas is sure up there, yet I don't mind the drive too much to DLR. Perhaps it's where I am going and my excitement level, but I have never minded the drive over. I have a Nissan Xterra (with satellite radio, which I love) and I pack an ice chest with snacks and water, and make the trip. Thanks to my MC peeps, I now know an easier way to get there....

It costs me about $45 to fill up, which I need to fill three times total to and from DLR at a cost of $135. Airfare round trip would cost over $200, plus by driving I get to skip the prostate exam from TSA. It's also nice to have wheels when I am there in case I decide I need to see the city.

What do you guys think, do you like to drive as well, or should I turn myself in to Shady Acres Home for the Misguided Traveler?

Re: PHX to DLR, Am I Crazy for Driving?

Originally posted by Max Fischer
    I get to skip the prostate exam from TSA.
    :lmao:

I don't think that's so bad a drive, i guess it depends on how often you do it. My not so scientific method is if gas is more than airfare, it's too far a drive unless you have too. But with the way gas is now, that really shortens that distance.

Comment

Have you looked into Amtrak? Sometimes the fares are cheaper than air travel and you get to relax and see the scenery as you travel.
      sigpic

Comment

With the price of gas MUCH higher this year, it has prompted
        me to ask the same question (I live in Northeast Phoenix).

But looking at the overall costs and convenience, for me,
        it's still better to drive. I add 'em up like this:

FLYING:
        Cost of flight
        Cost of Shuttle to and from home to airport or car parking expense
        Cost of Shuttle to and from airport to hotel or rental car expense
        Additional Cost of Higher priced hotel if i don't go with priceline hotel.

DRIVING
        Cost of gas/oil change
        Less expensive priceline hotel

Plus, with my own car, I don't have to worry about limited
        space for souveniers, that would otherwise need to be packed
        with the rest of my luggage. Thankfully my car gives me more
        room, which I have needed on several trips.

I don't have to bother with the security checks at the airport.
        ( Thank goodness I have only flown a couple of times since 9/11 )

With my own car, it gives me the freedom to stop at the Disney
        Outlet Store, or Target if I need to pick up items I may have
        forgotten to pack. Plus, I usually go for a few days, and it's
        always fun to take on some of the other things in LA, go see
        a movie at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood, perhaps (gasp)
        another park, the beach, see a taping of a tv show, some
        nightliife besides what Downtown Disney offers.

You also avoid all the crappy shuttles to and from the airports.

Timewise, flying or driving isn't much different, so for me,
        Driving is still the better deal.
        Last edited by Aladdin; 05-27-2006, 11:24 AM.
        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

EEEEEEEKSSSSSS!!!!!

I don't know what the heck happened there!
          I didn't even finish my post nor did I hit Post Reply.
          perhaps a moderator could remove the extras.
          Last edited by Aladdin; 05-27-2006, 11:07 AM.
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery

Comment

Have another cocktail Sue Ellen

I HATE to drive so I would fly in a heartbeat. The drive from LA to Laughlin earlier this month about killed me and I didnt do any of the driving! I hate sitting in a car, as a driver or passenger, for long periods of time across the desert. Its different for me going anywhere else but across that damn desert just about drives me crayzee!!

Comment

Good points all around. I like to drive for some strange reason. With my new radio, I never hear commercials and it is sweet. My friend Fancy really liked Cosmo radio and other woman specific programming that is offered. Plus, how can you miss out on Truck Stop shopping? Come on!!! It's like the Macy's of Truckerville.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut
                Have another cocktail Sue Ellen

I HATE to drive so I would fly in a heartbeat. The drive from LA to Laughlin earlier this month about killed me and I didnt do any of the driving! I hate sitting in a car, as a driver or passenger, for long periods of time across the desert. Its different for me going anywhere else but across that damn desert just about drives me crayzee!!
                I don't mind the drive across the desert (and I don't even have
                satellite radio). The landscape is not NEARLY as boring as driving
                300 miles of the nothingness that is in North Dakota, which I
                was subjected to countless times during my childhood. Phoenix
                to LA is a breeze comparred to THAT! Just have to be sure to
                bring my favorite Disney CD's to get me through that area between
                Blythe and Indio that only has one freakin' spanish radio station.

Ah, yes. The infamous Truck Stops, Yep! I absolutely have to
                pick up a cold 1 liter container of Mt Dew and a slice or two of
                the pizza from the restaurant that's at the Truck Stop this side
                of Blythe. Then of course there is that convenient A&W restaurant,
                those really big dinosaurs, and of course the outlet malls. For
                several years, the drive also had to include an In-n-Out stop,
                but since they built an In-n-Out restaurant less than a mile from
                where I live, that is no longer one of my stops.

Comment

We live in North Central Phoenix and since they finished the 101 to I-10 it has shaved at least 20 minutes off the total drive time. We love the drive out there and have favorite places we like to stop going to or from. We almost always stop in Desert Hot Springs on the way home to have dinner at Kam Lun's, the best hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant around. We also have family in Joshua Tree so sometimes we will jaunt up there as well.

Flying is not cheaper for us since there are two of us and sometimes my niece and nephew. Adding people makes driving the economical way to go.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

No trip to Disneyland (or any Disney destination) is crazy, unless it's just plain fun crazy.
                    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

Comment

We are leaving tomorrow morning from central Phoenix to D'land. We almost always drive. It usually takes us about 5 1/2 hours. If we took a plane, we would have to leave our house 2 1/2 hours before the flight, it takes 1 hour for the flight, 1/2 to one hour getting luggage/rental car and another 1/2 hour to get to the hotel. We take books on tape and listen to them and the drive does not seem so bad.

Our favorite stops are the Love's Gas Station in Quartzite and Hadley's Fruit Orchard.

Max, I say keep on driving...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pratt55
                        We are leaving tomorrow morning from central Phoenix to D'land. We almost always drive. It usually takes us about 5 1/2 hours. If we took a plane, we would have to leave our house 2 1/2 hours before the flight, it takes 1 hour for the flight, 1/2 to one hour getting luggage/rental car and another 1/2 hour to get to the hotel. We take books on tape and listen to them and the drive does not seem so bad.

Our favorite stops are the Love's Gas Station in Quartzite and Hadley's Fruit Orchard.

Max, I say keep on driving...
                        And drive I shall! I hope you guys have a safe and happy trip. Remember to bring along a few gallons of water for emergencies, you never know when you'll need them.

I hope we hear about your trip when you get back!

Comment

The real question is, XM or Sirius?
                          For XM go with O&A and Ethel. (Sirius lacks in the Alternative and good talk)
                          For Sirius I like any of their rock stations (XM is lacking in that department).

Comment

i have two kids, and the vehicle i drive is a full size conversion van which also doubles as our 'hotel', so it's definitely cheaper for me to drive.

(there's nothing better than a beachfront spot at Doheny or the San Clemente bluff for $35/night)

with also accounting for APs, and packing into DLR most of our food, gas by far is the biggest expense - right now about $200/round trip
                            a friend of Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lacrossedragon
                              The real question is, XM or Sirius?
                              For XM go with O&A and Ethel. (Sirius lacks in the Alternative and good talk)
                              For Sirius I like any of their rock stations (XM is lacking in that department).
                              LD,
                              My poor confused friend. It's all about Sirius. Alt Nation is a great alt station but even better then that, is Left of Center, which plays great college/Indie Alt rock.

For talk, Stern is funny as hell, and there are tons of great talk stations, but I prefer comedy to politics, even though they are so closely related.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X