Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures Through Inner Space vs. Star Tours

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adventures Through Inner Space vs. Star Tours

    Another thread regarding nostalgia for yesterland rides got me to thinking. Some beloved Disneyland attractions no longer exist because they were replaced by something "better." This poll is the first of several to come.

    Would it have been better to leave things alone and keep the old attraction or do you like the replacement attraction better and good riddance to the old attraction? I won't give you an option to vote for having both at the same time because I want your vote based in reality. Disneyland only has so much room. Some tough decisions had to be made with regard to space available. I want you to make that tough decision also. I will, however, let you vote that you don't like either one and would like something else entirely.

    This week's poll: Adventures Through Inner Space vs. Star Tours
    95
    I would rather have ATIS back instead of ST.
    31.58%
    30
    I like ST and think replacing ATIS was a valid idea.
    62.11%
    59
    I don't like either one of them and would like something else.
    6.32%
    6

    The poll is expired.

    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-


    When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.


  • #2
    Star Tours. No question.

    Comment


    • #3
      I hate to say it becaus ATIS has so many fond memories for me but ST takes the cake! It's so much cooler that ATIS and if they changed the movie every 10 yrs or something it would be even better.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        I can't really vote for any of these... I think Star Tours was a good choice before the birth of DCA. I also think it belonged in CircleVision or Mission to Mars/CoP.

        If I had my way, working with the realities of the parks, I'd build a technologically advanced Star Tours 2.0 in DCA's HPB, complete with a themed restaurant and area for Star Wars Weekends, and make a 22nd-century version of ATIS for Tomorrowland.
        See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
        78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

        "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

        "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

        -- Walt Disney

        Comment


        • #5
          I love the AUDIO for ATIS but only rememeber pieces of it but I grew up with Star Tours and as much as I love the idea and execution of InnerSpace Id have to say Star Tours was a good choice.

          However, I would like to see them combine the 2 attractions Using the same audio and creating an exciting adventure (narrated by Paul Frees, of course) through the human body to the world molecule and the Atom!

          Or is that just Body Wars?
          "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

          "Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ModHatter
            If I had my way, working with the realities of the parks, I'd build a technologically advanced Star Tours 2.0 in DCA's HPB, complete with a themed restaurant and area for Star Wars Weekends, and make a 22nd-century version of ATIS for Tomorrowland.
            An interesting idea! Maybe some of DCA's woes could be solved using this model. Take some of the "new classic" Disneyland attractions, update them and move them to DCA. Then return the original classic DL attraction to it's old home...again updated. Hmmmmmmmmm.....
            "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
            -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-


            When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

            Comment


            • #7
              I loved ATIS but its time had come. If they could have put ST in without removing ATIS that would have been great.

              I find it ironic that there are such fond memories of it since there were no animatronics in it and it was in many respects "painted flats." If ATIS were built today everyone would go nuts about it not being of quality.
              The Mur
              ______________________________________________
              Two different worlds.....we live in two different worlds

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by themur
                I loved ATIS but its time had come. If they could have put ST in without removing ATIS that would have been great.

                I find it ironic that there are such fond memories of it since there were no animatronics in it and it was in many respects "painted flats." If ATIS were built today everyone would go nuts about it not being of quality.
                Thats the thing. They only remember the good things. Not the fact that it was slow or boring in todays standards.

                I say, along with the people mover, good riddens. If we dont progress, riding a pack mule would still be an E-ticket.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gibbage
                  I say, along with the people mover, good riddens. If we dont progress, riding a pack mule would still be an E-ticket.
                  Also, along with your spelling skills! I happen to love PM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ATIS vs. Star Tours

                    Ahoy all,

                    Actually I couldn't vote on this one because I like them BOTH! I loved Inner Space when I was little. I always called it the "Monsanto" ride as that's who sponsered it. But I always enjoy Star Tours too. It makes me want to go home and watch Star Wars. I do think Star Tours might need to be updated sometime. But I bet that's do-able. I don't think they could have updated Inner Space. But that's just my opinion.

                    Thanks,
                    Aprille :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There should be another choice: I'd like to see a new version of Adventure Thru Inner Space come back in a different location, retaining Star Tours.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A new, *UPDATED* (that was needed sorely even in the early 80's when it was sttill open) ATIS could replace HISTA.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OK who were the 3 clowns who voted they liked ATIS better than Star Tours?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I tell my boys about inner space and they think it sounds so cool the way I explain it, and they wish it was still here for them to experience it. In reality it was cheesy but I still loved it.

                            We love star tours though. We rode it last night and I was thinking how badly it needed to be redone. The screen looks so horrible. I was thinking last night while riding how cool it would be if they had it in a dome room like the back to the future ride at Universal with the front half and top of the starship open or covered with a "starshield". Then you'd really fell like you were going under the girders on the Death Star.

                            To choose though... I'd stick with Star Tours.

                            Someone mentioned a Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. That would be cool.

                            I'd like Disneyland to get away from making rides or changing rides based on their animated movies.

                            Changing the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse to Tarzan was a mistake IMO.
                            Changing the Submarine ride to Finding Nemo is a mistake IMO.
                            Getting rid of the Country Bear Jamboree and replacing it with a Pooh ride was a mistake IMO.

                            Disney intended Fantasyland to be the place where the animated movies came to life. Now the animated movies are filtering into ever land and I don't like that. Woody in Frontierland. Go away.

                            I think Disney should get back to making rides that are unique and not based on a movie like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. Heck, those two had movies made based on the ride. I like that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Todd
                              I tell my boys about inner space and they think it sounds so cool the way I explain it, and they wish it was still here for them to experience it. In reality it was cheesy but I still loved it.

                              We love star tours though. We rode it last night and I was thinking how badly it needed to be redone. The screen looks so horrible. I was thinking last night while riding how cool it would be if they had it in a dome room like the back to the future ride at Universal with the front half and top of the starship open or covered with a "starshield". Then you'd really fell like you were going under the girders on the Death Star.

                              To choose though... I'd stick with Star Tours.

                              Someone mentioned a Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. That would be cool.

                              I'd like Disneyland to get away from making rides or changing rides based on their animated movies.

                              Changing the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse to Tarzan was a mistake IMO.
                              Changing the Submarine ride to Finding Nemo is a mistake IMO.
                              Getting rid of the Country Bear Jamboree and replacing it with a Pooh ride was a mistake IMO.

                              Disney intended Fantasyland to be the place where the animated movies came to life. Now the animated movies are filtering into ever land and I don't like that. Woody in Frontierland. Go away.

                              I think Disney should get back to making rides that are unique and not based on a movie like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. Heck, those two had movies made based on the ride. I like that.

                              I agree but at leats where getting the Subs back!(They can always change the overlay later)

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                I have NEVER heard proof that Walt Disney Actualy said that fantasyland was the only land for movie characters (it wouldn't work now anyways, it's themed to fairytales and a European Village, of course back then Walt mostly did fairytales) much of Walts work was inspired by other movies and tvseries so you can't just look at fantasyland and make that claim Walt didn't know what characters would be created or were imagination would take him


                                it's funny about leaving ATIS behind and all

                                I'd bet good money that if it was here today it would've become Buzz instead of the circlevision something tells me that Sci-Fi is just the way the Disney company will do Tomorrowlands from here on out (and suprise suprise it works)
                                "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I'd say star tours, just a few updates and it would be better






                                  ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                  ~

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by prillzilla
                                    I always called it the "Monsanto" ride as that's who sponsered it. But I always enjoy Star Tours too. It makes me want to go home and watch Star Wars. I do think Star Tours might need to be updated sometime. But I bet that's do-able. I don't think they could have updated Inner Space.
                                    Our family always called it the Monsanto Buliding...I always got freaked out by the big eye at the end...and I miss CircleVision...

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      As wonderful as it was, Inner Space was too dated to have survived (unchanged). I think Star Tours is at the same place. Now that you can ride motion simulators in every amusement park and mall in the world, Disney needs to spice up this attraction or replace it.
                                      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

                                      Find us on Facebook: .

                                      How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                                      Save

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Well, just to recap: Dumbo, Casey Jr., Storybookland, Motor Boat Cruise, it's a small world... not European. If this 1980s European makeover for the southern half of Fantasyland is too limiting, go back to the original... It seamlessly incorporated modern America, including Fantasyland Autopia and Midget Autopia, Canal Boats of the World, and the Mickey Mouse Club Theater too.

                                        Walt Disney didn't have dark rides outside of Fantasyland on opening day, and neither New Orleans Square nor the World on the Move Tomorrowland included animated movies brought to life. So, maybe Walt didn't SAY that was his intent, but his actions certainly speak volumes.

                                        Had Star Tours been built in a different building, I think the destruction of Tomorrowland that began in 1988 with the closure of America Sings would have been slowed down or completely halted. Instead of the dreadful Tomorrowland 98, with one movie being replaced with a worse one, one show/ride being replaced with a restaurant, one empty show building becoming an unenjoyable exhibit, and two attractions morphing to become the ill-fated RocketRods. ATIS wasn't If You Had Wings. It was good. If it had been left in its original building, it would have benefitted from having Star Tours in the same land, and kept a large audience -- something a show has a much harder time doing. In short, keeping ATIS and creating Star Tours too might have made the difference between keeping the best land in Disneyland the best, and what we had under the last reign of terror.
                                        See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                                        78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

                                        "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

                                        "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

                                        -- Walt Disney

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X