Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Blue Bayou

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blue Bayou

I am really hoping Mint julieps stay! I know the menu doesn't tell us this, but they were always my favorite part!

Comment

Originally posted by TP2000
      Ah, ok, I Googled "Kellie Pickler" and found out she is an American Idol contestant. I've never watched American Idol, so that's why I have no clue who she is.

The Gumbo at Blue Bayou is new, or at least this version is, so we don't know how spicy it's going to be. As someone who used to live in Charleston, South Carolina, I will bet two churros that the Disneyland amusement park version of Gumbo served at the pirate boat ride restaurant will be nowhere near as spicy as the real-deal Lowcountry South Carolina Gullah version of Gumbo.

But to be Gumbo, it has to have a least a little kick to it. Gumbo often has shrimp, especially in South Carolina. It can be made with sausage or beef also. If you dislike spicy foods, Gumbo is probably not going to be your thing. Even the mild Disneyland version of Gumbo.
      Well you are right she's a really really really dumb blond as well. She's actually faking how dumb she is to gain popularity... a lot of people found out her dumbness is actaully fake.. I mean she is dumb... but not as dumb as she comes off to be.. she doesn't know what calimari is.. but they went to her home town and discovered you can get calmari in most restaurants... so basically there the reference to my question about gumbo ... lol

Ok so if anyone trys the new gumbo can someone please give me a review cause I don't want it to be TOO spicy.. a tiny bit is fine but just not too much.

Well since you get the gumbo "free" I can't see it hurting me to try it.. I just hope it's not too spicyyyyyyy!

From Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by TP2000
        We'll agree to disagree on this one. I think post #121 regarding the new pricing vs. the old pricing speaks for itself. Here's the cut and paste of the pertinent stuff for those that missed what we're talking about:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        Previously, the lunchtime Monte Cristo was $12.99, all by itself. It came with a small side of pasta salad on the plate. But it didn't include a choice of salad or soup, and no choice of side dishes. Either the soup or salad would have added $5.49 to the meal alone.

When the Blue Bayou reopens, the Mote Cristo will be $18.99, and that includes choice of either wedge salad or gumbo. Plus choice of two sides.

February '06 Monte Cristo meal - $18.48
        July '06 Monte Cristo meal - $18.99

So the price for the comparable menu items has gone up by 51 cents. And for the extra 51 cents we now get a choice of two side dishes in addition to our pre-entree salad or gumbo. It sounds like a deal to me! :yea:
        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

At least they post the menu prices out in front of the restaurant so you know what you'll be paying before you even speak to the hostess. And apparently Disney Dining is happily sending out PDF files of the new menu, including prices, to anyone who asks when they make their reservation. That's how we got the prices for this thread to begin with.

The Blue Bayou prices aren't a big secret, they are right out there in several locations, in various formats, before you even open your menu.

I really like what melmel said about the Blue Bayou:
        "It's not an every day annual passholder kind of thing, but then it never was. It's a special thing for special times at a special place."
        TP I Don't appreciate you taking my quote out of context, you conveniently left out of my quote:

"They may be serving one more side with a cup of soup or salad
        BUT NO ONE was requesting MORE food to be served with
        the Monte Cristo!!!!! If anything the complaints have been that
        the meals were already too big.

A Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou will now be substantially more
        now than just one year ago, nearly a 70%A price increase! Of both sources I quoted, the most recent I could find was from June 2005, which showed the price $12.99 (Yes, with rolls and butter, and a side of pasta salad served with the Monte Cristo)

Regardless of the price you quoted from February this year, it still amounts to an exhorbitant increase for just a sandwich lunch in just one year.

And even if the sandwich has a salad or cup of soup, and ONE
        additional side (since the previous Monte Cristo DID include the
        substantial side of pasta Salad) , NO ONE had ever been requesting
        the more food be served with the Monte Cristo. In fact many people
        were requesting smaller portions. How convenient that YOU don't
        bother acknowledging what the GUESTS are actually requesting.

Oh, and TP, I certainly don't appreciate your condescending remark
        about agreeing to disagree. My comparrison price was from June 2005,
        and I acknowledge that price was from one year ago. Still the increase
        in ordering the MC going up nearly 70% withing one year is horrendous!
        Why can't you acknowledge THAT part of the post? It has nothing to
        do with agreeing to disagree. It has to do with plain numbers.
        Last edited by Aladdin; 06-04-2006, 10:13 PM.
        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I'm not sure why people are sooo upset over the price of the sandwich. All the prices increased and there basically is no lunch menu anymore. Try to accept and deal with it. The cafe orleans will have a new version of this sandwich maybe more in your price range. If it must be the BB sandwich then go get one.....granted I have never had this sandwich and never will because it sounds greasy, very fattening and disgusting.....and now they will have one filled with cheese and fried...*gag*

Comment

I love the fact that all of us, myself included, are this passionate about a sandwich served at an amusement park. Only in America!

Comment

Well, Aladdin, at least you'll be able to go across the street and get the Monte Cristo sandwich at the new Cafe' Orleans without the gumbo or wedge salad or two side dishes. Just the sandwich, nothing more. Imagine if they hadn't done the Cafe' Orleans remodel and you were just out of luck if you didn't want to pay $18.99 for the Monte Cristo meal.

Comment

Cafe Orleans will have the regular Monte Cristo alongside the new one. Disney Dining just sent me the new Cafe Orleans menu:
                STARTERS

New Orleans Gumbo A rich, flavorful stew with chicken, andouille sausage and tasso ham, served with Cajun-style "dirty rice" cup 4.99

Pommes Frites Traditional Parisian-style potatoes, lightly fried and tossed with Parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley, served with a Cajun spice aioli 4.99

La Salade de Maison Our Cafe Orleans signature house salad, featuring tossed baby greens in a raspberry vinaigrette, topped with cherry tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese and caramelized pecans. C'est bon! 5.99

Mardi Gras Crab-Salad SandwichCrab salad with garlic, scallion and diced tomato, lightly tossed in a zesty citrus aioli, served on an onion roll with avocado and sliced tomato 14.99

'The Big Easy" Shrimp Salad Grilled Jumbo shrimp atop wedged lettuce, with asparagus, tomato, avocado, aged prosciutto and shaved Parmesan, lightly tossed in a Lemon-herb vinaigrette 15.99

French Quarter Blackened Chicken Caesar Crisp Romaine hearts tossed in a traditional Caesar dressing, topped with blackened chicken and shaved Parmesan 13.99

Monte Cristo Sliced turkey, ham and Swiss cheese in a light batter, fried and served with berry puree 14.99

Freshly Prepared Stuffed Crepes
                Delicate crepe - made to order. Served with buttered asparagus and fingerling potatoes.

Seafood Herb Crepe With a traditional Mornay sauce, shaved Parmesan and mozzarella15.99

DESSERTS

Flourless chocolate indulgence! Raspberries wrapped in crepes and baked to perfection, served with raspberry coulis and whipped cream 6.99
                Mike

Comment

nice!

I'm curious how the new version will fair. I wasn't a fan of the old BB, btu now im interested in both the BB and CO.

yay for CM Matt and his changes!

Comment

Is it just me, or does a deep fried sandwich give anyone else heartburn thinking about it? I think this is one Disney staple ill have to pass on x.x
                    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                    -Dr. Strange

Comment

L'il Ms. Vegetarian can have a Three-Cheese Cristo.

Or, I mean, buy a plate of carrot sticks and celery from Adventureland.
                      Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                      Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                      May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

I like ths sound of the Flying Dutchman Cookie Boat. When Blue Bayou reopens someone will have to get a picture of it and let us know how it tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy999
                          Sounds like you've never eaten at a 5 star.....believe me the prices here are cheap!
                          Thank you!! The whining about "price gouging" has grown tiresome. Disneyland is a resort and as such, their food pricing structure is similar to what you'd pay at a nicer resort hotel (but way cheaper than a 5-star). If you want cheap chow, there are plenty of nasty buffets and chain restaurants within walking distance. I, for one, certainly don't want to be seated at BB within earshot of a bunch of people griping about prices. Those kind of people are also usually a waiter's worst nightmare--difficult to serve and lousy tippers, as well. The notion that we're somehow "entitled" to having a bargain meal at the premier in-park restaurant is ludicrous.

The fact that BB's entrees include soup or salad and sides actually makes it cheaper than many comparable restaurants; especially compared to places like Morton's or Ruth's Chris where everything is a la carte.

My problem with BB in the past was that the food often just wasn't good enough to justify the outlay of time and money, especially since the opening of Napa Rose, where a great meal is a certainty in my experience. But it sounds like they're making a strong effort to really raise the level of quality. I can't wait to see if they can pull it off.
                          An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
                          www.TheTikiTerrace.com

Comment

I'm looking forward to eating there. I've never been, but from the menu that has been posted it looks great. I've been looking for a more upscale dining locale in Disneyland that would compare to places in Epcot. Looks like we are getting one.

Comment

I really like the new menu, and if they are actually going to discontinue using heat lamps - WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! If you break down an entree, the prices are really not that bad. It is VERY rare for a white table cloth restaurant to include a salad or soup with an entree and I think that this is the direction Matt Ouimet has said he wants to go with the BB.

From some of his statements posted by Al recently:

" "Ouimet has publicly boasted in a recent management presentation that the newly reworked Blue Bayou will be "the finest restaurant in any Disney theme park, anywhere." (Emphasis on anywhere was Matt's, not mine) While that's a noble goal, and an admission that the Blue Bayou really needed to polish up its act, perhaps a more realistic statement should be that the Blue Bayou will be "the finest restaurant in any Disney theme park in North America." "

So after hearing that, I'm really rather pleased with the menu! I think the chef sounds innovative and really wanting to upgrade the menu. And the pricing isn't that outragous for Orange County.

Compare:

21 Oceanfront Restaurant in Newport Beach (all al la carte)
                              Alaskan King Crab Legs
                              One and a half pounds of King crab, steamed & served w/ drawn butter $59
                              Prime Filet Mignon
                              Our most tender steak served to your taste (9oz) $38 (12oz) $49

Anaheim Whitehouse
                              Manzo Brasato
                              Braised boneless Short Ribs with pearl onions in a Cabernet sauce
                              with a touch of horseradish cream $32.95
                              Linguini al Pesto
                              Linguini pasta tossed with extra virgin olive oil and a chive pesto $21.95

Harbor Grill - Dana Point
                              Mahi Mahi
                              with New Orleans Gumbo Sauce $24.95
                              Cajun Blackened Prime Rib
                              with New Orleans Gumbo Sauce $24.95
                              "AND CONGRATULATIONS MICECHAT! WE HAVE NOW GONE INTO RELIGION, POLITICS, AND RACISM ON ONE THREAD! HELLS HAT-TRICK!"
                              - PanTheMan

sigpic

Comment

I will admit that I was a little shocked when I first saw the new prices, but I think some very good points have been raised here. BB, no matter how nice it is, will never be a five-star restaurant and for that I am glad. I would feel very odd sitting in a five-star in jeans. I had a hard enough time going to the Napa Rose in jeans and that is a five-star in my book and so were the prices. If you look at the prices of the Napa Rose, even with the price increase at the BB, it doesn't even come close. I think the last time we were in DL we went to both BB and NR. If I remember correctly our bill at BB came to just under $50 and our bill at NR was nearly $150. With the price increase it might raise our typical meal to about $70.

A true five-star, like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse where we took my mother for Mother's Day will run you a lot more than that. My steak entree there was $36 with NO sides or salad/soup.

I understand that the Monte Cristo is an important part of the Disneyland experience for a lot of people and it is for me as well. However, I appreciate that it is being offered elsewhere for less. Granted, you won't have the ambiance of BB but if all you are looking for is the sandwich then you have another option and one that should be easier to get into. I, for one, will still go to BB and will happily pay for what I feel is a superlative experience. I agree with others that I hope that with this price increase there will be a bump up in service and quality, but overall will hold my final opinion on everything until AFTER it has opened and have experienced it myself.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X