Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Blue Bayou

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blue Bayou

Originally posted by anime_goddess
    How nice.

Those reading this will have to be satisfied at guessing the content of all the replies I typed and then deleted.
    Don't get me wrong, I have big love for the melmel, but that was basically the Disneyland version of 'let them eat cake!'

How wise would it be for D-Land to convert, say, Carnation Cafe into a 'garden fresh' restaurant with a variety of vegetarian and vegan entress mixed in with the sandwiches? Very, I'd think.

The problem is, they think offering $30-a-plate meat dishes at The BB is going to be a cash cow. True, -every- high-end place I've ever been (outside of steak houses) has offered a variety of interesting vegetarian dishes, or had chefs willing to get creative and make veggie versions of other recipes. Unfortunately, and I can't say it enough: The Blue Bayou is -not- true 'fine dining', so that isn't going to happen. Rather than offer you some interesting veggie variation on dirty rice for $19 a plate, they seem to thing $3.75 for some celery in Adventureland is a better profit move.

Go figure.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Originally posted by melmel
      Supply at some point needs to meet demand. Before, the BB was full at least a day in advance, and the restuarant had to send away hundreds, if not over a thousand people every day. Now, with increased prices, hopefully they will have slightly less demand, and will be able to accomodate more people who REALLY want to eat there and pay full price.

It's a basic law of economics.
      As I've said before, I really appreciate your presence here, and you absolutely seem like the exact kind of CM we all want populating our favorite park.

That said, I think you and the folks telling you this stuff are misguided. All this change will achieve is moving the lunch-rush madness from BB (a relatively small, full-service restaurant) to Cafe Orleans (a relatively small, full-service restaurant). Unless they've relocated the entrance, the crowd will even be virtually in the exact same PLACE as the former BB crowd, making that Pirates exit/handicap entrance line/line for BB/CO intersection even more of a nightmare to navigate.

You are absolutely correct, though, in theory. The problem is the thinking that -enough- people are going to want to pay that price for that experience with that food. I'm guessing no, you're guessing yes, and we'll just have to see what shakes out. I'm just picturing the inevitable off season that will hit once the 50th and the following holiday seasons are over...how much money will BB lose daily, sitting empty due to low crowds (who will have exponentially fewer people with $100 to drop on lunch)? I'm not hoping for failure out of meanness, I'm hoping for enough failure to back down from the changes a bit and even things out: bringing a true lunch back to BB (even if it IS higher than before, just not DOUBLE) and bringing some budget items back to Cafe Orleans. There's a compromise here, I'm sure of it...but your bosses don't seem to agree and are like a gambler who is reinvesting everything hoping for the big win instead of wisely hedging their bets and going for the -sure- win.
      Mr. Dark
      Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Okay, I went to DL last night and was a little confused. I believe that I went to the Cafe Orleans but I didnt see the Monte Cristo on the menu. Maybe I didnt actually go to the Cafe Orleans. Is the Cafe Orleans to the right of the entrance for Pirates, you know like tucked away almost behind the stairs that lead up to the gallery?

I noticed a lot of gumbo in bread bowls but no Monte Cristo.
        "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/

Comment

Supply at some point needs to meet demand. Before, the BB was full at least a day in advance, and the restuarant had to send away hundreds, if not over a thousand people every day. Now, with increased prices, hopefully they will have slightly less demand, and will be able to accomodate more people who REALLY want to eat there and pay full price.

It's a basic law of economics.
          Is it also a basic law of creating magical memories? Just wondering.

Lots of people want to eat there. Now, lots of people won't be able to eat there. This is no different from what it was, since it can serve only so many guests per day whether the prices are high or low. In the past, luck determined who got to eat there. Now it will be thickness of wallet. (Sorry, but I can starve for a whole day and eat something in my fridge.)

The prices of food and souvenirs (and day tickets) wouldn't have to increase if there were more revenue coming from some other source. Well, I guess it's good that some people didn't pay some high price to enter the park and thus have some extra spending money for a fancy lunch or dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Dark
            You are absolutely correct, though, in theory. The problem is the thinking that -enough- people are going to want to pay that price for that experience with that food. I'm guessing no, you're guessing yes, and we'll just have to see what shakes out. ...how much money will BB lose daily, sitting empty due to low crowds (who will have exponentially fewer people with $100 to drop on lunch)?
            There is a problem with your theory. The problem is that fact that the food quality is going to be better. (from what they are saying.) That is going to substanculy change the crowds at BB just as much as the higher price will be.

You see, I have brought my family to DL on slow off season days before the 50th with no one in the park, when we had the option for lunch, we left the park because they asked me my opinion of food in the park. I answered them honestly... that there were a few places in the park that had ONE food item that was good.

BB has the monte cristo
            B BBQ has the safari Skewers
            Red Rockets has their chicken fusilli

I think you get the point.

Because of this fact, we left the park for good food not only once.. but twice. This brings me to my point:

If management were to stand by the exit of the park and ask people why they were leaving durning lunch, they would find out that there are people who have the money even on a slow day that have to leave the park to get good food. You bring good food back into the park into ONE location like this, then you will have to beat people away with a stick due to popularity.

It's easy for someone like me, an AP holder, to pick one place to eat when IM hungry. I know where the one item food locations exist. But a family wont be able to chose which one item they would want, thus they are forced to leave the park... just like My Family did.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken_Monk
              Okay, I went to DL last night and was a little confused. I believe that I went to the Cafe Orleans but I didnt see the Monte Cristo on the menu. Maybe I didnt actually go to the Cafe Orleans. Is the Cafe Orleans to the right of the entrance for Pirates, you know like tucked away almost behind the stairs that lead up to the gallery?

I noticed a lot of gumbo in bread bowls but no Monte Cristo.
              No - you went to the "Royal Street Veranda" (they don't offer a passholder discount, by the way). The Cafe Orleans is still closed and boarded up until it opens around the same time as the Blue Bayou and the Pirates attraction.

Comment

Ohhhhh okay! I will have to hunt around to the Cafe Orleans then.
                Thanks for the info!
                "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/

Comment

Cafe Orleans shold open up before BB. I thought MelMel said that training was on the 12th or somthing like that.

Comment

Drunken_Monk -- Cafe Orleans normally looks like this:

But currently looks like this:

Comment

Bravo, Mr. Dark: excellent posts and great reasoning.

I'm eating dinner at the Blue Bayou on July 5th and am eager to see how the new menu pans out in the eating. Because the group of seven I was going to have lunch at the Blue Bayou with thought it was preposterously expensive, we are now lunching at Cafe Orleans on the 7th. It's not often you get to have two new menus at Disneyland and we're looking forward to it.

There's also the question of how many expensive restaurants the Disney Resort can support. In addition to Napa Rose and the Vineyard Room (if that's its current name), and Club 33, can the Resort support another restaurant that's going to cost in excess of $100 for a meal for two?

Comment

Club 33 is a moot point. It's a private club, its revenue doesn't affect the rest of the resort. It's a separate thing, and it's really not up to the average Disneyland guest whether the Resort can "support" it.

And Blue Bayou, for two, should cost, with tax and tip, around $100 I think.
                        Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                        Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                        May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

Is the BB still going to have a kids menu? If so, will it be the same?
                          sigpic
                          Fluffy Club Member

Comment

I'm with LadyJane: will they have a kids menu still? Will "big kids" be able to order from it? Also, will they still be serving the rolls for free? Free in Disneyland = Good. :0)

<3

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

Well, I'm going to give the revamped BB menu a try. I've made PS's for both BB and Cafe Orleans for my trip next month. The crab salad sandwich at CO sounds good, I hope I can get it without the avocado.
                              Sarchasm- The gulf between the person using sarcasm and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

They are still going to have the kid's menu.

If an adult wants to order off the kid's menu, that's fine, but they are going to be paying a comperable adult menu price. FOr the nuggets, that means that for a kid's portion, you are going to pay the price of the pan-seared chicken.
                                Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                                Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                                May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

They are still going to have the kid's menu.

If an adult wants to order off the kid's menu, that's fine, but they are going to be paying a comperable adult menu price. FOr the nuggets, that means that for a kid's portion, you are going to pay the price of the pan-seared chicken.
                                  Yikes! 2$ processed nuggets for 30$? I hope the serving staff makes SURE to tell the older customers they will be charged full price for the kids mean. I feel bad for the CM's that have to deal with stingy people who did not expect that.

Comment

June 17, 2006 Look like the castmember do a soft open and traning, I walk by and see castmember work at the check-in desk. but no doors are to us. Look like use the POTC exit to get the restaurant.
                                    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
                                    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
                                    Older photo
                                    New Photo

Member of
                                    MiceChat WDW Trip
                                    Next trip
                                    2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Just found out they are giving CM's 40% off at the blue Bayou, all they have to do is make a reservation at Team Center before the date....OMG I forgot the date, WHere is it?
                                      Jason

Comment

Really.. CM's get 40% off... I need to cancel my res and have my g/f (who is a CM) make a res.

Comment

If you can afford (as of now) 30 bucks a plate, then I would go!

Comment

Working...
                                          X