Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Blue Bayou

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blue Bayou

Originally posted by Alyssa3467
    Hmm... In Orange County, CA, where the restaurant in question is located...

7.75% * 2 = 15.5%
    15% < 15.5%

So... you give a lower tip for GREAT service?
    here another way doing it

if the bill is $30.00 = 10% is $3.00 and for 15% $3.00 / 2 = $1.50
    add 3.00 + $1.50 = $4.50 for 15%

for 20% $3.00 * 2 = $6.00
    for close to 18% $6.00 - $1.50 = $5.50
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
      It could be worse - in Europe the restaurant tacks a "Service Charge" (added profit?) onto the bill, and then the wait staff expects you to tip on top of that, too.
      Really? Because when I was in England in 2000 the wait staff looked at me odd if I tipped them extra.

Comment

Oh, come on people. You can all tip like my grandma used to. $1.25 for all, but if it's really quality service, then by gum, they can have a $1.75!

Yes, she did this everywhere no matter what the price, but who's going to scold a cute little old lady?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
          The thing that annoys me is that the restaurant industry deliberately uses the tipping mechanism as an excuse to pay the wait-staff substandard wages - sometimes below minimum wage, and insisting "Don't worry. If you do a great job you'll more than make it up in the tips..." :lmao:

The problem with that logic is that there are too many factors that are beyond the wait staff's control that can only affect their take-home pay negatively.

The IRS will expect their cut of the assumed 20% tips you got...

And then the management expects the wait-persons to split a portion of the tips received with the bussers and the back-of-house people. Because then the restaurant can pay THEM less, too.
          Yep, the whole "T.I.P" system has been abused way too far. When I waited tables in college, 8% to 10% was considered a good tip. The
          hourly wage was crap because there was a lower min wage allowed for
          those who receives tips. 7% was automatically counted as tip income on our W-2's. This was a medium class family type restaurant, and the wait staff did keep their own tips.

It's just surprising that what is considered an acceptable tip has doubled. I really do think the employer should be the one responsible for paying a respectable wage, and NOT as a separate added fee to the bill. It should be incorporated into the price of the meals.

Also, with tip income, actual income is not necessarily recorded as income, and much more suceptable to "error" on what should be taxed. If it was all paid by the employer, it would be accurate, avoided todays problems.
          Last edited by Aladdin; 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM.
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Just so you all know, in California, there's no such thing as server/tipped employee wages. Minimum wage applies to everyone. This is not an excuse to not tip, however.

Comment

Since we're on the topic of tipping... I never have understood it. I have a waitress friend who says that tipping pays her bills. Why can't, like alladin said, the resturant pay their employees more and factor it into the food prices? I actually dislike tipping a great deal... food never costs what the menu says. I don't know. Ugh. Thats my one stingy trait. And if I DO get bad service, I've been known to leave change on the table (I know, bad girl).

But, back to the Blue Bayou, they took the clam chowder off the menu? I heard it was swell!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

Food does not cost what the menu says-- of course not! But there are incredible food preparation costs that go into the menu prices.

Clam chowder is off the menu-- it's still available at either the French Market or Veranda. The new gumbo is much better anyway.
                Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

I received the best Blue Bayou experience I've ever had at Tokyo Disneyland. They have almost an identical replica of our Blue Bayou, right down to the Chinese lanterns and the fireflies. The food was delicious, our waitress was like a living Japanese Barbie Doll in the most perfectly tailored blue silk and white lace dress you've ever seen, the entire wait staff was fantastic and perfectly gracious, and with the exchange rate I had a four course prime rib dinner for a few pennies under 20 Dollars American.

And there is no tipping allowed in Japan. Tipping is an insult in their culture. They are simply proud to be of service to others.

We walked out the door without leaving a single Yen in gratuity, and they bowed and thanked us for honoring them with our presence the whole way out. :bow: All of us on that trip are Disneyland regulars, and we were utterly blown away by the entire Tokyo Disney Resort, but their Blue Bayou is clearly a premiere restaurant for them.

After my last trip to Tokyo Disneyland I cancelled plans to visit Walt Disney World next. Instead, I'm going back to Japan and Tokyo Disneyland in January '07. And I plan on having dinner at the Blue Bayou again! :yea:
                  Last edited by TP2000; 06-20-2006, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X