X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RemainSeatedPlease
    • Apr 2005

Bring back the Escalators !!

A revamped space mountain, the white paint scheme coming back, work on the Starcade, the only thing I ask is a re-worked Honey queue so that we can have the escalators back on Space Mountain. There just as much of a tomorrowland icon as anything else in my opinion.
  • Reaver
    Reaver of Souls
    • Jan 2005

As long as they were working, anyway... I'm convinced that there was an increased gravitational pull on both that escalator and the exit walkway to Haunted Mansion. Those were the hardest things go climb! Hiking Diamondhead is easier than those things were!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• mickeyandme67
      • Jan 2005

But isn't it sweet to have the moving ramp working again at the Haunted Mansion! As much as I loved the refurb and redo on THM... I was truly thrilled when I disembarked from my doom buggie and saw the ramp moving uphill! Awesome way to end that ride!
      Permanecer sentado por favor...

Comment

• CinderellaPrincess
        • Feb 2005

I love it because you get a foot massage if you keep your feet still...
        A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Comment

• SpectroMan
          • Jan 2005

Now if only the Monorail one would work. I suppose that's being saved for future changes related to the Subs, though.
          Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

• Fantasmic_Freak
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2005

Oh Yes! i agree with the Space Mt queve redo with using the moving walkway, was that ever outside? I always remember it when i went on Space when i was younger and it has always stuck in my head. I wish they would bring it back!
            Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

Comment

• Pirate Wench
              • Jan 2005

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-27-2005, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• CA_Man_In_HI
                now on the mainland
                • Jan 2005

I'm glad to see so many others share the sentiment. DL seemed like it used to carry a plethora of escalators (THM, PM, Monorail, SM)....okay, not a plethora exactly but quite a few. Before they put in the escalators however, we first need to get rid of Cosmic Waves. I think the walkways would get a lil' too crowded. Otherwise, bring 'em back!

Comment

• Bruce Bergman
                  • Jan 2005

There's a method to their madness...

One huge problem with using escalators and moving ramps in an incoming queue - what do you do when the line stops moving and the people start backing up onto the escalator? Then again, "Bowling For Tourists" can be a great spectator sport...

With the Space Mountain and the Monorail Platform queues, they had to have a CM assigned at the escalator to watch the lines, and either start and stop the escalator or control the line from the bottom at all times. Remove the escalator (or turn it off except for peak times) and you've removed one position from the CM rotation, and that can add up to a lot of money over the course of a year.

You can't count on the Guests to control the line themselves, they won't realize the line ahead has stopped until they're halfway up - with nowhere to go except start walking backwards.

Escalators and Speedramps work fine for Exit situations like Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Monorail because the flow of exiting people is moderated by the ride operations, and an artificial blockage at the end of the exit is unlikely.

And if something does happen, there are usually people around with the presence of mind to hit the STOP button. (Guilty. )

--<< Bruce >>--
                  There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

• Michelle
                    Minion
                    • Feb 2005

Is it just something that happens when I get off the Monorail, or are most people incapable of comprehending that you can still walk down those when they're not working?

Comment

• ModHatter
                      Minion
                      • Jan 2005

Well, I don't know if this will ever be feasible again, but I wouldn't miss the escalators so much if you could take your nice little Pizza Port meal up to that patio and eat with a scenic view of Tomorrowland. Okay, yes, Tomorrowland still isn't as scenic as it's supposed to be, but you get the drift...
                      See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                      78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Anders
                        back to basics
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Michelle
                        Is it just something that happens when I get off the Monorail, or are most people incapable of comprehending that you can still walk down those when they're not working?
                        Sadly, it's not just on the monorail platform. Coming from the Mickey & friends structure, on the second level, the down escalator wasn't on and instead people were all lined up for the elevator. I worry about people that don't realize that they are still stairs even if they aren't moving.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

• Deogge's Mom
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AndersDMB
                          Sadly, it's not just on the monorail platform. Coming from the Mickey & friends structure, on the second level, the down escalator wasn't on and instead people were all lined up for the elevator. I worry about people that don't realize that they are still stairs even if they aren't moving.

I can handle the stationary ramps, but for some reason stationary escalators and I do not get along. They are very disorienting to me and cause dizziness and nausea. The escalators at the parking structure are already bad for people with problems with vertigo, add the disorienting feeling that many people get when they are stationary and you can see why people will flock to the elevators. I myself take the stairs up or down a level to an escalator that is working.

Comment

• Cory Mitchell
                            Funnier than you.
                            • Apr 2005

That kid is BACK on the escalator!

Sorry..had to.
                            That Guy!

Comment

• Morrigoon
                              insufferable know-it-all
                              • Jan 2005

I miss the SM escalator/speedramp too

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• wolfy
                                Still wants to be a cat!
                                • Jan 2005

Last time I rode the Monorail...(a couple of weeks ago) what a surprise...the moving walkway was working at the exit. Guess that didn't last long, by the way it sounds here.
                                Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                                it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

• Ian
                                  Former leftist media hack
                                  • Feb 2005

Cory Mitchell gets major props for evoking a Brody reference, since SM is probably the ride he'd like best.
                                  "I just want to say, this is the best trip ever." - Aidan at age 4

"No. I have no kiss in my mouth for Daddy." -Alida on Father's Day

Comment

• Michelle
                                    Minion
                                    • Feb 2005

It seems more relevant to quote the recently deceased Mitch Hedberg:

"An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an 'Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order' sign, just 'Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.'"

Comment

• Dirton
                                      Banned User
                                      • Mar 2005

Yeah I'm a big fan of not walking. I hated that when they changed it. To solve the problem we just got the assistants pass (go up the entrance) but now we can't even do that (and it's not that we have to stand in line because I love all the queues). Stupid walking!

Comment

• Ian
                                        Former leftist media hack
                                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dirton
                                        Yeah I'm a big fan of not walking.
                                        I'm not picking on you Dirton (heck, you're a fellow sac-town person), but how quintissentially American is this sentence these days? Woo hoo! Sendentary lifestyles!!!!

Now seriously, I totally understand the escalators being turned off/removed/whatever. At my work building, they used to turn the escalators off on weekends. Cal-OSHA cited the company and told them that the law states that escalators have to a) be on or b) not be used at all. Some safety thing. So with the backups at SM, turning the escalator on and off is a safety risk and a risk of citation from OSHA.
                                        "I just want to say, this is the best trip ever." - Aidan at age 4

"No. I have no kiss in my mouth for Daddy." -Alida on Father's Day

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X