Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Poll: Does Disneyland History matter to you?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disneyland history

Disneyland, which opened one year before the year I was born, has played a very prominent role in my life. Growing up in Southern California, through my eight years as a "CM", through the times that I've gone back since then, I feel like Disneyland's history is a part of my own. I am proud to have been associated with it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Extremely.

That's why I subscribe to The "E" Ticket.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I have never been a southern CA resident but, My dads family lived there so my whole life I got to go to Disneyland. I was born in 59, and my first visit I was 2.
        I watched " The Wonderful World of Color" in the sixties every week, and during the day, all the reruns of Annette and the Mouseketeers, and Spin and Marty. When you come from our generation, you almost felt like you knew Walt. He never just produced shows, he came out and talked to you, giving you the intro for the latest adventure in Living Color. Television itself was still new, and an exciting thing. Even as young child, I realized how special and unique Walt Disney was.
        Its all about the history to me.
        Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

Disneyland history is extremely important to me. People here on the least coast, um, I mean east coast ask me why I'm so much into Disneyland when, from their perspective, WDW seems bigger and better. I tell them that when you go to DL on the best coast, dang!, I mean west coast, it's not just about size and number of attractions. DL has a history that no other Disney park can come close to. Walt created, built, and modified the park. No other park has that advantage. Not to mention that at the time of it's conception, the idea was so radical. All the other parks are clones off DL.
          The other thing to remember, is how important it was to give guests the ultimate expierence. People didn't go to Disneyland just to meet the Disney characters from various films, they went to expierence a form of life outside of their own. They got to live in the Ol' West, the lesser known exotic regions of the world, the fantasy-styled Europe, and of course the future! WED Enterprises (aka WDI) was commited to using the best resources available to turn their creative ideas into the most realistic illusion for guests to expierence. One doesn't ride POTC to just see pirates sack and burn a town, but rather to expierence themselves. A sort of thrill is to be added, as if you yourself were trapped in the burning town being looted by drunken pirates.
          We should look to the history of Disneyland to see how they impressed guests and took them somewhere unimaginable in the 50's and 60's and can do so again. While I wasn't around to see the 50's and 60's, I do expierence a sort of nostaligia when I visit attractions like Tiki and Jungle Cruise. I can imagine what it must've been like to see singing birds, or hear President Lincoln give a speech in a time where nothing like that seemed possible. I use that history as a standard to judge where Disneyland is now, and where it is headed. Winnie the Pooh and Tarazan's Tree House falls short, in my opinion, of Disneyland's potential. I really hope that Matt Ouimet and Bob Iger will look to what made TL '67 so great for 30 years. I then hope that they will take TL and recreate another bright, optomistic future for those of us that live in the early 21st Century. Reliving films with Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear and Nemo doesn't create any magic; taking us somewhere new, and away from our present lives in a believeable illusion is what creates magic.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X