X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ganggreen4jc
    • Jan 2005

AP Lament

While I love my DLR AP, there is one thing I'm dissappointed with. I'm going to WDW in July (first time!) and my DLR AP gives me absolutely NO benefits at all. No room, food or ticket discounts in the least bit. I might as well be showing them a SixFlags AP or my local library card, it would get me the same treatment.

Has this ever bugged anybody else?
  • melmel
    CM for 4 years!
    • Apr 2005

This bugs me too. Especially since I'm a poor college student and was looking into taking a WDW vacation for a few days in January.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

• ksejr1
      pronounced, Casey Jr. 1
      • Apr 2005

It's bugged me too! But try it anyways. One time I went to the disney store in san francisco, and I asked it they gave discounts cause I had an ap, and they first talked to a manager, and the manager was nice enough to go ahead and give me the discount when they normally wouldnt.

Orlando doing good
      http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
      Princess of Randomness

Comment

• CheshireCat82
        • Mar 2005

I'm in the same situation. An DLR AP for years and going to WDW in June. I've wondered why there isn't an ultimate Disney pass or something along the lines. Especially this year when people are more likely to visit other parks also.

Comment

• sediment
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

You get into the park for free. If you want any more, you are getting that entitled feeling. Check with Kevin Yee about that. (Oh, if we only had an archive...)

Comment

• Reaver
            Reaver of Souls
            • Jan 2005

To be honest, this has always bothered me, as well, but I tend to look at it in the same way as I do traffic. I ride my motorcycle most of the tyme out htere in CA, and am used to the many benefits of it - cheaper on gas, carpool lane access, lane splitting - that make life easier than in a car. It gets to the point that when I do have to cage it (drive a car), I get annoyed that I can't do those things. I can't jump in the carpool without another person in the car, I can't weave in between cars, etc.

Am I entitled to those things, moreso than anyone else driving their car? Of course not. You simply become accustomed to the benefits, and sometimes forget what it's like to not have them, until you're forced to do things without them.

My AP gets me discounts at many restaraunts and stores at DLR. I don't pay for parking every time I go. (And not, sediment, you don't get into the park free. You just don't have to pay every time, and it costs significantly less per visit, but you still have to pay for the pass.) Would I love to get that at WDW? Of course! But really, I don't blame them for not letting me.

So yes, it annoys me, but only because I'm so used to it, not because I'm getting shafted by the folks in Orlando...
            Honor those who fall under the sword.
            But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• figment1986
              Banned User
              • Jan 2005

and remember... You cannot use a WDw pass and get the same results in DL... (Esp since the 2 passes are different.... Your is still plasic i hear.. WDWs is a regular ticket.... just says AP on it somewhere.)

Comment

• mickhyperion
                • Jan 2005

Of course your Disneyland AP is only good for discounts at Disneyland. That's what you paid for. Why should Disney give you free admission and discounts to every resort they own because you bought an AP at ONE of them?

Let's look at some of the costs of an upcoming trip...

- A Magic Your Way ticket with ParkHopper costs $235, give or take $15, whether your stay is 4 days or 10
                - A WDW AP (regular, not premium) costs $395
                - If you're staying at a WDW Resort (in order to take full advantage of Extra Magic Hours and other conveniences) a WDW AP will get you a 40% discount off your hotel, on average.
                - Chances are the savings you will gain (from hotel discounts, merchandise, and food) from buying the WDW AP will balance out the cost difference between a Magic Your Way ticket and a WDW AP.

So, it seems that since you'll need a ticket to get in anyway and IF you're staying at a WDW Resort, all the perks you feel you're losing from not being able to use your DL AP will become a non-issue if you just buy a WDW AP.

And if there are multiple people in your party, only one of you needs the AP in order to get a discount for the whole group, whether its dinner or hotel or whatever.
                Last edited by mickhyperion; 04-13-2005, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• cubsd
                  Bear Member
                  • Jan 2005

You know what sucks more? I have an AP, Disney Credit Card, AAA membership, and a Entertainment card. So what gets me the best discount to stay on-site at Disneyland Resort? Asking for rate plan VSL off the flyer from Vons Supermarket. You would think that they would give a better rate to an Annual Passholders or Disney Credit Card holder than anyone who happens to shop at Vons. And you have to know about it, Disney reservations won't volunteer information.

I had called to book one night at the end of this month, told the Cast Member about the various cards I have, and asked for the lowest rate. That night I went to Vons and saw the flyer. I called the next day, and got a lower rate with that rate plan.

Comment

• tabacco
                    Abomination Unto Nuggan
                    • Feb 2005

I think a lot of the expectation stems from what other parks do. Paramount and Six Flags, for example, let you buy a pass at one park and use it for admission to any of their parks nationwide.

Comment

• cubsd
                      Bear Member
                      • Jan 2005

And I don't think anyone here is expecting to get into WDW free with a Disneyland AP. But it seems like the least they could is give a 10% discount on tickets at other resorts.
                      Disney won't because they know people like us will spend the money to go, whether they offer a discount or not.

Comment

• mickhyperion
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tabacco
                        I think a lot of the expectation stems from what other parks do. Paramount and Six Flags, for example, let you buy a pass at one park and use it for admission to any of their parks nationwide.
                        You're probably right, but I think those parks need to do it because they're more desperate.

Comment

• matterhornmaniac
                          Roar!
                          • Jan 2005

They let you park for free at all the parks if you have a Premium DL pass. Or atleast thats how its been for me since 2000 at WDW (i don't know if it works for the other passes since I've only ever had a premuim)

Comment

• melmel
                            CM for 4 years!
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cubsd
                            You know what sucks more? I have an AP, Disney Credit Card, AAA membership, and a Entertainment card. So what gets me the best discount to stay on-site at Disneyland Resort? Asking for rate plan VSL off the flyer from Vons Supermarket. You would think that they would give a better rate to an Annual Passholders or Disney Credit Card holder than anyone who happens to shop at Vons. And you have to know about it, Disney reservations won't volunteer information.

I had called to book one night at the end of this month, told the Cast Member about the various cards I have, and asked for the lowest rate. That night I went to Vons and saw the flyer. I called the next day, and got a lower rate with that rate plan.
                            Vons? What kind of deals do they have? I'm looking for stuff on their website and I don't see anything. I'm just curious, because if I can get my rate changed for a room I booked on the 24th of May, I really should.
                            Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                            Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                            May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

• cubsd
                              Bear Member
                              • Jan 2005

Sorry, the offer expires 4/28/05. I'll be in the park on April 25th (and the 24th if I can convince my friends to pay $30.00 for a blackout day pass).
                              When I spoke to the cast member at Disney Reservations (714-956-MICKEY), she told me that most of the discounts were discontinued before May, in anticipation of the crowds they will get for the 50th. She also told me there was a Costco discount that was about the same as the Vons discount. If you are a Costco member, you might call and ask. Also, if you are a AAA member, they might be honoring that discount in May, but it is not as good as Vons/Costco discount.

Comment

• idontneedaname
                                Sock Puppet
                                • Feb 2005

just tell the CM's at WDW that your AP is an employee ID card for DL in Anaheim. I did and got discounts everywhere.
                                They never bothered reading the card.........they just believed me.

Comment

• The Mad Hatter
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by melmel
                                  This bugs me too. Especially since I'm a poor college student and was looking into taking a WDW vacation for a few days in January.

wonders if melmel is really poor since she had anough money to buy an ap and is going to wdw

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X